: Using GM but Not Cadillac Service

iamq
06-23-10, 06:53 PM
I just bought a 2010 SRX but here in central Mass they have closed all the Cadillac dealerships. I ended up buying it in Boston but thats 2hrs away and not something I want to do regularly. When I registered with On Star the gal couldn't believe there was no Cadillac dealer within this area so registered with a GM but Chevy/Buick/GMC dealer.

Have any of you done this and how was the service?

sven914
06-26-10, 12:52 AM
Can't really speak to the quality of the service, but a Chevy dealership won't have the correct literature to do any major repairs on your car. I doubt it's possible for 2010 (yet), but when they start selling service manuals on eBay, get one.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-26-10, 09:09 AM
Service manuals haven't been published in atleast 5 years. It's all on GM's technical assistance website now.

From what I remember from at the Chevrolet dealership a few years back, I thought you HAD to take a Cadillac to a Cadillac dealership for warranty work, as Chevrolet technicians don't have all the Cadillac certifications needed to do warranty work to Cadillac's standards. I suppose if it's for regular maintenance it'd be OK, but I'd take that bad boy to a Cadillac dealer for warranty work.

hueterm
06-26-10, 12:39 PM
I had to throw a smelly ass fit to get the Chevrolet dealer 3 minutes from my house to work on my EXT under the factory or CPO warranty. (As in threaten to take my cash cow ETC/Concours repair business somewhere else...I told them to work it out w/GM and get it done.) Now that it's GMPP, it's not a problem.

Currently, the only Cadillac dealer is about a half hour drive, and it's a half day ordeal to take it for warranty service. Which is complete and utter BS. And then you usually don't get a Cadillac loaner, as they're always given out...I got some POS Aveo from Hertz.

If it were an XLR-V or CTS-V or something, yeah, I'd take it there -- but an EXT is pretty much the same as an Avalanche. I'll roll those dice... However, that dealer is leaving Fayetteville, and moving to Bentonville -- so my future CPO STS-V will have a home close by....

sven914
06-27-10, 02:20 AM
Service manuals haven't been published in atleast 5 years. It's all on GM's technical assistance website now.

I thought for sure dealerships still had hard copies of service information. But then again, it has been that long since the last time I was in a dealership...

iamq
06-29-10, 11:23 AM
Interesting, guess its a bad idea to use GM and not a Cadillac dealer. How about while you're on a trip and need warranty service? The salesman said you can get it at any GM dealership(I know, I Know it was the salesman).