: My Exterior Trim Options?

JamesC
06-23-10, 06:25 PM
That's right it's me again, ha. Now sadly since I bought my Caddy, almost a year now (will be on July 30th), the driver's side door exterior trim was missing. NOT the chrome at the bottom, but the middle of the door; the "door dig" guard, I guess. Ha. It missing has bugged me ever since... seems so incomplete missing part of the trim, even though it's just one. It does.

Now I am curious what are my options on getting new trim on the entire car? As I'm sure I can't get the original trim any longer, probably long discontinued and I can't get just trim from the salvage (only one with lots of older Caddys - rest don't have older cars any more) here as there you have to buy the entire stupid door instead. I'm thinking about calling up my friend that works at a body shop (the one I went to when I got body work done on it couple months ago after someone backed into the rear quarter panel) and see if he can tell me anything or offer any trim.

Darn shame I can't afford to get the beast a new, fresh paint job AND new trim. Oh well, I guess, in due time!

On a side note: What would be the best spark plugs too? ACDelco I assume (just to confirm). Thanks!

Bro-Ham
06-23-10, 06:31 PM
James, There are plenty of options - perhaps even an exact replica of the original. I owned a 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe a few years ago and the original molding was falling off and weathered. An auto trim person found the exact replica of the original, even the same odd firemist color, and put it on and it looked just like new! This is doable - you just need to do some homework and find the right source to do it. Good luck! Dave :)

sven914
06-23-10, 06:58 PM
I've been thinking about changing the edge guard on my car, as I don't particularly like the way it just blends in. After trying to harvest some nice white pieces from junk car, I realized that you can't just pry it off because it bends, wrinkles, and cracks. So right now I trying to find usable pieces in in chrome (taken from some of the older wrecks), but nothing I've found is complete enough to make even one side. Just an idea, but your friend at the body shop should have a line on suitable, chrome trim pieces.

And AC DELCO is the only name for electronics on a Cadillac.

JamesC
06-24-10, 08:37 PM
Thanks the both of you for your comments! Yeah I thought talking with my friend might be the best beat, I'll give him a call either tomorrow or sometime during the weekend and see what he has to say.

As I thought ACDelco all the way, just wanted to confirmed, ha. Just got the spark plugs this afternoon, woo! Ha.

Bro-Ham
06-24-10, 09:01 PM
James, This is the FWBH Coupe I owned a couple years ago. The original bodyside molding looked terrible so I had it removed and replaced it with the bodyside molding you see here which is aftermarket but virtually identical in design to the original and the color matched perfectly. The trim person I used had at least 100 different colors to choose from.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/54991d1262921142-pics-your-big-body-2-dr-81-fltwd-79-sdv-de-015

JamesC
06-24-10, 09:17 PM
Hey that's nice looking! Yeah it does look pretty close to the original. I did ask my friend about the trim lightly when I had the body work done on it... from what I remember, though he just quickly looked it up, the original trim was long discontinued, but I don't think he looked into it any further as I was not too serious about it then, as I didn't have the money for it. Again I'll see if he can look into it for me and see if there is a style that is close to the original.

Ian6
06-25-10, 01:56 AM
I've been thinking about changing the edge guard on my car, as I don't particularly like the way it just blends in. After trying to harvest some nice white pieces from junk car, I realized that you can't just pry it off because it bends, wrinkles, and cracks. So right now I trying to find usable pieces in in chrome (taken from some of the older wrecks), but nothing I've found is complete enough to make even one side. Just an idea, but your friend at the body shop should have a line on suitable, chrome trim pieces.

And AC DELCO is the only name for electronics on a Cadillac.

to get it off without damaging it you have to use fishing line or floss to cut through the adhesive instead of just pulling it off.

sven914
06-25-10, 03:21 AM
^I'll keep that in mind, but since I've ruined everything the junkyard has had to offer...

JamesC
06-25-10, 10:16 PM
to get it off without damaging it you have to use fishing line or floss to cut through the adhesive instead of just pulling it off.

Oh most certainly! I read this awhile back and kept it in mind. I believe I have a whole roll of fishing line somewhere (from a previous project). I'm rather thankful that it is just adhesive keeping it on too! Total pain in the butt to work with on my first car, 1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car, and it had those annoying little metal tabs and small wires and bolt nubs... well on the lower trim molding, not the edge guard trim or the lower chrome trim either. It was a bit different, ha.

Bro-Ham
06-26-10, 11:01 AM
Cadillacs from the good ol' days had those bodyside moldings attached to multiple metal studs that protruded from the bodywork so fishing line will not work. The last year they did that was 1979 since my car has them, my 1981 did not and I would guess 1980 was the same as 1981 since the body styles are the same. Good luck. :)