: MAP DVD Read Error

StevieT
06-23-10, 01:11 PM
2007 EXT

Picked up June 5th, make a living from forums so why not find one with the new truck!

I have been getting this from day one with the truck, see picture. The disc that was provided was slightly scratched so I figured to pick up a new one. Did so, same error all the time.

Usually occurs on start up, about 90% of the time. If you eject then re-insert the nav disc will read and everything is fine. Sometimes it takes 2-3 attempts. Annoying compared to a Garmen that works all the time.

Anyone have experience with this? Is it fixable or should I just take it in under warranty? My only guess is that the laser is off or needs cleaning. Thanks.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m238/StevieTdrill/IMG_1565.jpg

dixit
06-23-10, 10:34 PM
Is your disc an original or a backup/copy? Because I get this problem on my backup copy, when I put my original in, never get the error. This happens about 1-2times a month if I use my backup copy.

Dixit

North49
06-23-10, 11:19 PM
This is strange. I use my back-up copy continually without errors.

Having said that, I am on my second nav disk purchased new on Ebay. The first one had many scratches (used vehicle purchase) and gave the "Disc Read Error". If the disk reading laser is clean and aligned properly then the system should read a good disk.

StevieT
06-24-10, 12:16 PM
Is your disc an original or a backup/copy? Because I get this problem on my backup copy, when I put my original in, never get the error. This happens about 1-2times a month if I use my backup copy.

Dixit

Both discs, provided (used) and new are original GM nav DVDs.

StevieT
06-24-10, 12:17 PM
This is strange. I use my back-up copy continually without errors.

Having said that, I am on my second nav disk purchased new on Ebay. The first one had many scratches (used vehicle purchase) and gave the "Disc Read Error". If the disk reading laser is clean and aligned properly then the system should read a good disk.

I also got the new on on Ebay, much cheaper. But is is genuine and new..... grrrr always something with computers.

ewill3rd
06-24-10, 10:29 PM
Condition
Customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

• The Navigation Radio display intermittently goes blank or turns black/off after switching video sources. This most commonly occurs when the shift lever is transitioned from PARK to REVERSE to DRIVE (or vice versa). Other possibilities include switching to DVD movie or Rear AUX (if equipped).

• The Navigation Radio screen may intermittently freeze, lock up or display "MAP DVD Read Error" messages.

• Some features may not be accessible while driving. This includes scrolling lists, address book and navigation related entries (i.e. entering a destination).

• The Navigation Radio, upon startup, will continue to display the vehicle logo repeatedly. This condition occurs when the vehicle language has been changed, using the Driver Information Center (DIC), in the previous ignition cycle.

08-08-44-013E

There is a new firmware update disc set that is being released.
I have one ordered for our dealership but it is on backorder right now.
I have 3 customers in line for it.

Contact your dealer and give them that TSB number.
They can order the update set. One set of Discs is free, if they have to reorder they have to pay.
I keep all these discs in one place in case we see issues on vehicles.

StevieT
06-25-10, 06:09 PM
Wow, thank you

mdadgar
06-30-10, 06:47 PM
Does the new firmware fix those awesome XM dropouts that the 2010 nav disk update introduced?

Good times.

- Mark

steve841
06-30-10, 08:08 PM
ewill3rd ...

Can you give any pricing on the disc that's back ordered?

ewill3rd
06-30-10, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure about an XM dropout.

I don't know the pricing. You'd have to call the nav disc center with the part number and see if they will even sell it and what it costs.
It is still on backorder as of earlier this week. I had my parts guy check.

StevieT
07-14-10, 03:53 PM
Just an update. The entire navigation system has to be replaced, it is not accepting any software updates. I tried to find out exactly what unit is included in the replacement, ie does that include the screen or just the DVD ROM drive. Wait and see when they schedule to install next week, I am just personally curious plus the run around if I have to get with XM again etc.

Even though it is 3000 miles out of bumper to bumper they are covering under goodwill through Cadillac. I don't think they want to mess around with getting paid from the extended warranty company.

hcvone
07-14-10, 04:08 PM
It makes you feel good when they treat you like that. :cool2:

StevieT
07-14-10, 05:03 PM
They even threw in a bag of cookies lol