: Check your Oil often, even after dealer oil change

cbloveday
06-23-10, 12:31 PM
Had my oil changed for 2nd time with dealer. BTW, they are the best!
About 500 miles had been put on the clock since the oil change.

Anyway, I am always all over my vehicles checking everything.

I notice my oil PSI was maybe 5PSI lower than normal. So I began looking for leaks etc.

I checked underneath by removing skid plate and visually inspected plug and oil filter fitting. I checked garage floor. I changed the valve covers etc. etc.with a flashlight. Nothing

I made sure the engine sat overnight and checked the oil on the dip stick.
It was at the first hole cross hatch.

To make sure I was not overfilling and I was getting a correct reading. I checked after a good sitting overnight.

Bottom line, I was able ato add 1 quart over the course of 3 days to ensure the proper level reading was on the dipstick and in the PSI was within previous range on the DIC.

Not complaining by any means, and I know I am not the only one who monitors their fluid levels closely. I just wanted to remind members to not rely on dealer oil changes to think all is fine.

Many times the changing of the oil filter sucks up additional oil. There could be leaks via plugs or seals.

I am on a service plan so they probably just added the stated number of quarts in the manual.

Again, I love my dealer and consulted them on this and they said GM has stated their V8s do consume some oil. I reminded him that my car had not
consumed oil in the past 9,000 miles and the oil change was done about 500 miles ago. They offered to look into it and I declined stating I'll take care of it.

Moral of the story is, it is ultimately our obligation to properly monitor fluids
You'll have a more enjoyable experience with dealer and car if you do.

LFTW8S
06-23-10, 12:47 PM
Are you checking your oil level with the engine cold? What is the "rule"...should you check in after start-up and warmed engine or cold/no start-up?

Ross L
06-23-10, 12:58 PM
Good info to know. Being low a quart shouldn't have anything to do with oil pressure( unless the added quart lowered the overall temp of the oil, but I doubt it). I try not to stress over getting it exactly right. I change it myself, and dump 6 quarts of the good stuff in it. Then check it maybe once a month :-)

cbloveday
06-23-10, 01:49 PM
Are you checking your oil level with the engine cold? What is the "rule"...should you check in after start-up and warmed engine or cold/no start-up?

The manual states the following and I did it several times over several days WARM & COLD.

Checking Engine Oil
It is a good idea to check the engine oil level at each
fuel fill. In order to get an accurate reading, the oil must
be warm and the vehicle must be on level ground.
The engine oil dipstick handle is a yellow loop. See
Engine Compartment Overview on page 5-14 for
the location of the engine oil dipstick.

1. Turn off the engine and give the oil several minutes
to drain back into the oil pan. If this is not done, the
oil dipstick might not show the actual level.
2. Pull out the dipstick and clean it with a paper towel
or cloth, then push it back in all the way. Remove it
again, keeping the tip down, and check the level.

When to Add Engine Oil
If the oil level is within the cross-hatched area at the
tip of the dipstick, add at least one quart/liter of the
recommended oil. This section explains what kind of
oil to use. For engine oil crankcase capacity, see
Capacities and Specifications on page 5-133.
Notice: Do not add too much oil. If the engine has
so much oil that the oil level gets above the proper
operating range and into the upper cross-hatched
area on the dipstick, the engine could be damaged.

Add enough oil to put the level somewhere in the proper
operating range. Push the dipstick all the way back in
when through.

Z06ified
06-23-10, 02:07 PM
One of my complaints with this car is there is no warning system for low oil level. Don't check the dipstick and its low, and your engine is toast without warning.

06-23-10, 04:02 PM
I did my first oil change last night, at 1500 miles. I took out about 5.5 quarts of oil, plus the oil filter, plus about a pint of metal shavings, and I probably spilled about a pint when I had the drain pan in the wrong spot (yes, metal and spillage amounts are exaggerated).

So as of yet I am not using/losing any appreciable oil, but it is good advice to check it often......

(Of course, all oil disposed of properly)