: 07 Escalade vs 07 Yukon Denali

leeah
06-23-10, 07:48 AM
Hi Guys,
I am about to purchase either 07 Escalade or Denali and wanted to see if there are any advantage of purchasing Escalade over Denali. I know both have 6.2 motor and options are close to each other, but it is a choice of the exterior styling. Is there anything else?
Thanks for your help.

mattcav1
06-23-10, 08:26 AM
I own both. Denali first for about a year it is my wife's daily driver when i first got it i thought man this is a really fast truck until i sat down in the escalade. The escalade has more power even though you see the 6.2 being the same it has more horse power 380 on the denalli vs 403 on the escalade. Along with a larger nav screen that makes the denali one look small when i get in the denali i find my self saying couldn't they have made that bigger? You also have the opportunity to get ac seats. The instrument cluster is nicer in the escalade i find myself having trouble seeing the numbers on the console in the denali during high light situations. The ac controls are all around nicer in the escalade. Nicer center console. 22" stock rims available over 20" on denali. Auto Bright lights on escalade. Overall i find myself wishing that i had purchased an escalade for my wife instead of the denali the worst is when the kids tell her that daddy's car is nicer than hers.

leeah
06-23-10, 09:11 AM
I own both. Denali first for about a year it is my wife's daily driver when i first got it i thought man this is a really fast truck until i sat down in the escalade. The escalade has more power even though you see the 6.2 being the same it has more horse power 380 on the denalli vs 403 on the escalade. Along with a larger nav screen that makes the denali one look small when i get in the denali i find my self saying couldn't they have made that bigger? You also have the opportunity to get ac seats. The instrument cluster is nicer in the escalade i find myself having trouble seeing the numbers on the console in the denali during high light situations. The ac controls are all around nicer in the escalade. Nicer center console. 22" stock rims available over 20" on denali. Auto Bright lights on escalade. Overall i find myself wishing that i had purchased an escalade for my wife instead of the denali the worst is when the kids tell her that daddy's car is nicer than hers.

I really appreciate your candid comment. I know I am leaning towards the Escalade, but reading some of the posts here made me concern a bit too.
first is the wind noise on 07 that is not a 100% fixed. Some saying front door alignment, some saying the mirror..
second is that Escalade takes premium fuel due to the higher compression ratio than the Denali even though same motor? I know I had H2 which had 6.0 and it was taking regular grade.

CadX6
06-23-10, 12:45 PM
You'll get passionate arguments both ways - but, real life experience - I've run mid-grade (89 octane) in all three of my Escalades (03, 07, 09) with no noticeable decrease in performance or mileage.

lousy_investor
06-23-10, 04:04 PM
You'll get passionate arguments both ways - but, real life experience - I've run mid-grade (89 octane) in all three of my Escalades (03, 07, 09) with no noticeable decrease in performance or mileage.

And the sales manager who sold me the truck told me it would take regular 87, very few engines in the market actually require 91 and he never put 91 in any of the cars he owns.

That said, as CadX6 said, heated arguments from both sides. I flipped back and forth and couldn't tell the difference myself. But of course I wouldn't be able to tell if it causes any damages to the engine. I M now going to switch for a period of time (weeks or months) instead of tank by tank to see if I can see any difference. :)

CadX6
06-23-10, 04:17 PM
Let us know how your "scientific experiment" goes :bouncy:

Actually - since my 09 is flexfuel, I'd love to give that a try. But, I'd use almost a full tank driving to the closest station that carries E-85.....

ESCALADE132
06-23-10, 04:35 PM
does the manual call for 91? What if you run 87 will that damage the engine? Whats the best to use?
Thanks

Tec80
06-23-10, 10:10 PM
The optional chrome wheels on both peel (something GM should be deeply ashamed of, since Ford/Lincoln went through the exact same thing 5-6 years ago), but the 20" tires on the Denali will last longer than the 22s on the Escalade and the wheels are less likely to get dented by potholes. The Escalade has a longer BTB warranty. The 2009 Denali has the same 403hp calibration as the Escalade, but if you chip the 07-08 Denali it won't matter. The hardware underneath (and most of the interior) is identical. Both will run fine on 87 octane, but will have more power on 93.
Escalade+:
- Cooled seats
- HID headlights (the Denali headlights are a joke, both visually and range-wise)
- Larger Nav screen (but a $125 Garmin still blows both GM nav systems away)
- Nicer dash
- Second DVD screen for 3rd row
- (I think) leather armrests (door&console) vs. vinyl
- Dealers have better customer satisfaction. Still nothing like Toyota/Lexus/Lincoln. GM turns more customers off by letting their dealers treat customers like crap than anybody. Reference the hassles people on this board have had getting their $2995 optional peeling chrome wheels replaced.

TheGooch
06-23-10, 10:15 PM
I use 87 because I'm neurotically cheap. Probably need to switch to 92 I'm not quite poor, that has just always been my pleasure to put 87 octane in my '02 Lade, '04 Gator, '07 Tahoe.... my dealer (GMC) insisted 87 was fine for my 07 Lade, and i took him to his word. I should sue and make them pay the difference. Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

I say the Escalade. I think you will enjoy the added luxury for what looks like a minimal extra expense. I don't know about everywhere else, but in my area, Denalis sell for top dollar because everyone wants to be low key and simpler.
IMHO, that is the most prominent part of your comparison. Do you want to be low key and fly under the radar, or do you want to stand above the crowd and exude style, luxury and elite status? The Escalade's appeal is in the statement it makes. The Boss!

Aron9000
06-23-10, 10:39 PM
I use 87 because I'm neurotically cheap. Probably need to switch to 92 I'm not quite poor, that has just always been my pleasure to put 87 octane in my '02 Lade, '04 Gator, '07 Tahoe.... my dealer (GMC) insisted 87 was fine for my 07 Lade, and i took him to his word. I should sue and make them pay the difference. Hmmmm... :rolleyes:

I say the Escalade. I think you will enjoy the added luxury for what looks like a minimal extra expense. I don't know about everywhere else, but in my area, Denalis sell for top dollar because everyone wants to be low key and simpler.
IMHO, that is the most prominent part of your comparison. Do you want to be low key and fly under the radar, or do you want to stand above the crowd and exude style, luxury and elite status? The Escalade's appeal is in the statement it makes. The Boss!

I'll agree that the Escalade is a lot flashier and way more onstentatious. Really that is the big difference IMO.

Also, chrome peeling off rims is a sign that they cheaped out on the chrome plating process. Lots of cheap aftermarket rims do this. My 16" chrome wheels on my old 1999 Z28 Camaro looked great when I sold the car in 2008, if you got the 17" chrome wheel with the SS package, those peeled if you looked at them with a raised eyebrow. They used a different vendor for those 17" wheels who cheaped out.

IgotGAME
06-23-10, 11:11 PM
I had a mechanic(a mechanic of 32 years in Honda and Ford dealerships) one time tell me..and I quote "If I could piss in my gas tank and the car would run...I would use piss. Run '87 in anything you ever own...if you use any grade higher you are just wasting your money."

I run '87 in my 07 Escalade..get 18mpg so I can't complain.

07maralade
06-23-10, 11:27 PM
I originally wanted a Denali, sometimes I still would rather have a Denali than an Escalade.

Why?
The climate controls are a lot bigger, just look at some pictures and you know what I mean. The buttons on the climate in the lade are designed for watch repair people.

I don't have navigation or a DVD player in my 07, so that means I can't plug my iPod or Zune in. All stereos in the Yukons do.

A fully equipped Denali AWD will all the options is still cheaper than a 2wd Escalade with no options.

But I like the escalade because:

Status, thats #1
HID are really bright

Ronin
06-24-10, 01:49 PM
...the wind noise on 07 that is not a 100% fixed. Some saying front door alignment, some saying the mirror...

Read my response in this thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/202998-ready-2007-escalade.html

If you find an '07 that has it, the chances that you're going to get it fixed are about zero...I remember taking my service manager and technician on a test drive to demonstrate it after they played stupid...but knew damn well what I was talking about (I printed out and gave them the TSBs on it before hand). Turned the radio and HVAC off and told them to shut up and listen since they were trying to talk over the noise...the lack of silence was far from golden and the polar opposite of my Mercedes Benz S55 AMG...(dual paned glass) THAT was as quiet as a tomb at highway speed. Something else that GM should be ashamed of, but of course could care less about...

leeah
06-24-10, 02:13 PM
I do like the Escalade better than Denali. I am not a high bling person, but since I have owned 1999 Escalade (Old 5.7 motor ones) and the ride was unbeatable. New ones with more refined power curve and interior (especially A/C seats and Huge GPS), I am more inclined to purchase Escalade. Denali is a nice vehicle too and love the sub-dued look and slick lines. But it feels like some of the parts are substituted to lessen the cost of the vehicle.
I also was looking at the Navigator as well and you talk about the bling, this is it with the chrome grill, rocker side panels, and tail light....
Thanks everyone for the great input.

PreachRR
06-24-10, 03:39 PM
Um.. don't know about you folks but my lade is a picky little girl sometimes.. I can't run anything less than 91 in my truck or I will get pinging.. and heaven for bid I even look at a citgo station.. Lousy Idle and poor running overall. When I explained this to my dealer service dept manager.. He was clear to tell me that "You need to put 91 in that truck!" There is a higher compression ratio to deal with.. I can guarantee that if you are not using the higher octane GMs knock retard will be costing you some ponies at the wheels.. You may be able to run the lower octane gas but you may feel it in you right foot.. I bought an escalade and for better or worse if I was worried about the cost of gas.. this would have been the last vehicle I would have purchased!

racingdc9
06-24-10, 03:51 PM
Before we bought our 07' Escalade this year, we were looking at the Denali and the Tahoe LTZ. After looking at all 3 my wife chose the Escalade b/c of what you get exterior and interior wise. You can't beat the look of the Escalade exterior, if you don't want to look too blingy then go with a lighter shade exterior, if not then Black is the way to go. The tail lights of the Denali really was a major turn off for me, they looked like some aftermarket crappy tuner tail lights that kids buy for their honda's or cobalt's. You can't beat the xenon headlights and LED tail lights on Escalade. If u haven't, I would test drive both b/c the 22's on the Escalade is a little rougher ride then the others but it's not bad.

racingdc9
06-24-10, 04:01 PM
Any car can take lower octane gas, it's just a matter of how it will perform after you put the 87 octane in it. Especially, in hot weather the heat with the lower octane gas will make your engine work harder then it should. Maybe during winter I would say go ahead and use 87 b/c of the cold air, but summer time like now, I wouldn't. Really, if you look at it it's only $5-$8 difference when using 91 over 87.

TheGooch
06-24-10, 05:41 PM
Um.. don't know about you folks but my lade is a picky little girl sometimes.. I can't run anything less than 91 in my truck or I will get pinging.. and heaven for bid I even look at a citgo station.. Lousy Idle and poor running overall. When I explained this to my dealer service dept manager.. He was clear to tell me that "You need to put 91 in that truck!" There is a higher compression ratio to deal with.. I can guarantee that if you are not using the higher octane GMs knock retard will be costing you some ponies at the wheels.. You may be able to run the lower octane gas but you may feel it in you right foot.. I bought an escalade and for better or worse if I was worried about the cost of gas.. this would have been the last vehicle I would have purchased!

I dunno, I'll probably switch to 91, I tried it a while and didnt notice a difference. It's like $5/tank difference, I think i can handle that one, lol... I usually see such a response when I post about my gripes on the Escalade gas consumption or octane requirement. But we're here to discuss, and that's what I do. I just came out of a 2007 Tahoe LTZ and have owned my Escalade two months, and am somewhat annoyed a)that the dealership lied and said I could run 87, and b) that after owning 6 American fullsize SUVs in a row, only this one doesn't take regular gas. Anyway, like I said I'm neurotically cheap when it comes to CONSUMABLE goods. Some things are just about principle for me.

A few years ago I was on a date with a wonderful petite busty swimsuit model, and after dinner she suggested we go to get drinks,:drink2::drink2: we went, and after the first round I grumpily but charmingly disputed the sense of paying $15 per drink ($30/per round) to sit in this silly bar when my home is quiet and has a superior OPEN bar adjacent to a private pool. We sped to my house in my white Schnitzer BMW 760Li (using 91 octane lol) We're together to this day. :thumbsup:She saw my house and understood. I have specific priorities and hate wasting money. So much more rewarding to spend on toyz. For instance, I miss that 760Li Beamer so dearly, but she had to go when the warranty was up. If I'd had to pay $12000 for a tranny or $3000 for an airbag sensor for that car, I'd have had a sh!tfit...:rant2:

leeah
06-25-10, 12:48 PM
I was comparing the specs on Denali and Escalade, and they both have same 6.2L, compression ratio, bores and strokes, but different HP. Does this mean Denali also takes Premium fuel as well?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-25-10, 05:39 PM
The 2007 GMC Yukon Denali and XL Denali both take 87 octane gasoline. If you need any other information on this vehicle you can contact me through the forum.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

TheGooch
06-25-10, 09:52 PM
I will use premium from now on. There goes my starbucks allowance. (joke)

lousy_investor
06-26-10, 01:18 AM
Let us know how your "scientific experiment" goes :bouncy:

Ran down to almost an empty tank and refilled with 91. I reset the mileage meter and on my way there, it showed 16L/100km or so. On the way back, with almost identical driving condition, it showed as low as 13.5L/100km! If this keeps up, not only I will stay with 91, I will have to drive 10km just to fill up at that gas station! I used 91 before but never had such dramatic improvement.

Will keep my scientific experiment going for a bit longer :)

Big Windy Ext
06-26-10, 09:08 AM
I never have had the wind noise (EXT) . Maybe they put the doors on different at the Chevy plant . I use 91 octane , why have a 400+ HP engine and bridle it with cheap dino juice. I set the trip odometer but never check the actual mileage , it isn't a highlight of ownership , I do it to gauge the health of the vehicle. I chose this truck for the engine , I passed on the Chevy because of the 5.3 and the Denali because for a few more bucks you get the whole enchilada . So far I have never regretted my decision except the guilt factor when in the company of people who aren't doing well in this recession . Good luck in whatever you purchase .

TSS
06-26-10, 12:05 PM
I admit I have not read every single word here. But, the digital speedo in the Lade was a big deal to me too, as well as the cooled seats in 07 and HIDs and LEDs. I don't thinlk the Denali has the digital speedo - or does it? :confused:

Michael 514
06-27-10, 12:07 AM
Hi guys,

A few days ago, I bought a black 08 Platinum Escalade.

Have you guys seen the Platinum version?

In my opinion, it's night and day as compared to the regular Escalade.

I highly recommend that anyone choosing between the Denali; Yukon; Escalade; etc.... should take a look at a Platinum one.

Has anyone been in one? WOW. I was merely expecting a cool grille like my CTS, but oh my god, the interior is incredible.

evois
06-28-10, 02:34 AM
Hi guys,

A few days ago, I bought a black 08 Platinum Escalade.

Have you guys seen the Platinum version?

In my opinion, it's night and day as compared to the regular Escalade.

I highly recommend that anyone choosing between the Denali; Yukon; Escalade; etc.... should take a look at a Platinum one.

Has anyone been in one? WOW. I was merely expecting a cool grille like my CTS, but oh my god, the interior is incredible.

I looked at the platinum when I was buying my hybrid but there was none available, just the regular platinum. I agree about the leather seats but not really night and day comparo as I bought my 09 hybrid new and except for the seats and heated cupholders, there isn't really much difference since the hybrid comes fully loaded to begin with.

Hollywood19
08-16-10, 04:55 PM
Escalade

Tec80
08-18-10, 01:55 AM
Another thing to ponder...in 2007 the Escalade cost about $20k more, but used it is now only about $5k more. I'd go with the Escalade.

I would also go with an ESV instead of the shorter version. Way more room, better ride due to longer wheelbase, no penalty in fuel economy. I laugh whenever I see short Escalades, Tahoes, and Yukons on the highway with luggage carrier pods on top because they ran out of room inside. Duh.....

K9Caddy
08-18-10, 03:44 AM
FYI, it's also difficult to park an ESV in some garages. Hence, the reason people get the shorter wheel base model and store the hitch cargo carriers for extra room.

Michael 514
08-18-10, 09:50 AM
FYI, it's also difficult to park an ESV in some garages. Hence, the reason people get the shorter wheel base model and store the hitch cargo carriers for extra room.

Agree. I like the look of the ESV, but it would not fit in my garage!

Jumpin800agl
08-21-10, 03:29 PM
I have been doing this same comparison myself, hence the reason for joining this forum. I am pretty set on the Escalade now that I have did some shopping around. The price difference is minimal in my opinion, so might as well go for the better looks, HIDs, wheels, etc of the Escalade. Just gotta get rid of my G37 Coupe now lol.

CADDYFAT
08-22-10, 01:30 AM
I owned both an 07 Denali and now own a 07 ESV. You need to go with the Caddy, hands down. Better navigation, better stereo better looking and a little more hp. I love my escalade. The 22" wheels are sooo much nicer than the Denali's 20" wheels. If you don't care about nav, and the dash being way more sophisticated, then those are the main reasons to chose one over the other. I got rid of the Denali because I needed the extra space in the rear of the ESV. When the rear seats were up in the regular non xl Denali, I couldn't even fit a stroller and picnic basket....

RippyPartsDept
08-22-10, 01:45 AM
we've never had a problem getting wheels done under warranty.... we've even had to goodwill some because some owners love to not mention problems that they've had for months and months until just after their warranty expires

miamio96
08-30-10, 12:15 PM
I just went through the same thing comparing the ESV, to the Suburban LTZ and the Denali XL. FWIW, my wife noticed the tighter turning radius in the ESV as compared to the others. I liked the exterior of the Suburban the best and the interior of the ESV. We went with an 07 ESV.

RippyPartsDept
09-02-10, 10:42 PM
yeah, other people have to see the exterior, you're the one that has to deal with the interior... good choice

Hell Hound
11-20-10, 02:07 AM
Wow. Im a little shocked. I looked at both the Denali and Escalade before buying the Denali XL. The reason I went with the Denali is because I thought the Interior was way better looking than the Escalade. I also love the look of the front end and tail lights better. Mine came with a 7" Pioneer Z110BT and monitors in the headrests. As far as the horsepower, I was told that they're exactly the same, they just posted less horsepower on the Denali to justify higher price of the Escalade. My Denali has 24" wheels, so I'm not worried about the difference between the Denali coming with 20" wheels. Pretty simple decision for me. Upgraded stereo, 7" front monitor, 24" wheels, monitors in the headrests, and it was still cheaper than the Escalade.

t911
04-28-11, 03:48 PM
hi i know im a little late! i have 2009 esv ill make this simple the denali is nice but when and escalade rolls up next to you, you wanna pull your windows up and curl up in a ball lol! there isnt a big price difference between the 2 i would deff take the lade over the denali any day and with a 60k+ suv those ghetto headlamps just mess the whole look up of the the denali. in regards to gas octane the escalade asks for 91+ ive put regular in it once by accident and ill tell you with the ac on the truck was sluggish and didnt perfrom normal i always put super! now with gas at almost $5.00 a gallon her in LA i use middle and it still drives great as it did with super never put regular unless its a lease if you bought it put good gas regular will hurt u in the long run when your engine starts to knock, thats not good. main point is its status there is no other suv with 3 rows as nice and some of these ppl on this forum want to compare an escalade to a range rover or a mercedes G550 those are tottaly different trucks there 2 rows ppl who get an escalade need 3 rows! the only suv you could say is its competition would maybe be a mercedes GL550 and even that honestly ive driven it and power in escalade just blows it out! go with escalade as long as its an 07 body or newer it will look like a 2011!

Nixin
04-30-11, 03:14 PM
I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. The Denali XL was hot but the ESV was smoking hot. You know, when you are comparing these two it just comes right down to which one you like better. In the end, I am certain that both will be enjoyable to drive and both will be a pain in the a$$ because of all the little issues that pop up!

pleeson
04-30-11, 04:58 PM
Interestingly, when I was looking for a used Escalade, the prices of 2007 Tahoes, Yukons, Denalis and Escalades were surprisingly close.
Easy choice...
:thumbsup:

t911
05-03-11, 08:18 PM
i would have to disagree the tahoe is deff cheaper than the lade or the denali you could get a tahoe 07 in low 20k right now nice 07+ denali or escalade with decent miles u will spend at least 30k+

CTSVKINGWAGON
08-11-11, 07:53 PM
What he said is based on the 07 models. The new Denali's and Escalade's have the same hp motors. The Escalade IMHO is SO NOT WORTH 15k EXTRA. The Denali has everything the Escalade has with a smaller nav screen and a plastic dash. My recommendation is buy a Denali and get it converted inside and out to an Escalade platinum. It can be done for WAY less than 15k, since they are built in the same factory on the same platform and you will be happy you saved money just for some free maintenance and a Caddy badge.