: Pictures of the Hankooks

tbss08
06-22-10, 08:12 PM
I drop the tires off at the dealer tomorrow, $10 a tire to install them!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/04z16/CTS%20V/Hankookfronts.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/04z16/CTS%20V/Hankookfrontsclose.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/04z16/CTS%20V/Hankookrearsideshot.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/04z16/CTS%20V/NewHankookrear.jpg

I should have the V back on Thursday and I'll see how the tires respond then.

haterinc
06-22-10, 09:16 PM
I'm a fan of the hanks... The roll and hook well. I also run them on the EXT in 26".

kgb14
06-22-10, 09:27 PM
Are those Summer only tires?

nynd
06-22-10, 09:54 PM
How much do they run? Are they from Tire rack or local distributor?

tbss08
06-22-10, 10:20 PM
They are summer tires, got them from TireRack. The local suppliers didn't want to match prices even with the shipping. Tire Rack beat the locals by $250.

Caddyscat
06-23-10, 12:36 PM
I think those are the cheapest tires available for our cars.

1-2-N-V
06-23-10, 01:47 PM
Gottem too. Got about a couple thousand miles on them. decent quietness, good in the rain... but not so good in HP driving. They got some wiggle if you ask me. just not that crisp turn in the PS2s have. You get what you pay for...

AZstar
06-23-10, 04:39 PM
I agree. Not nearly as grippy as the PS2's. For daily driving they are fine, but if you plan to track the car or do any highly spirited driving the originals are better.

wfo
06-23-10, 05:05 PM
Are these an upgraded size or OEM?

CVP33
06-23-10, 07:08 PM
I ran these late last year and hated them. The sidewalls just didn't have enough stiffness, felt like the car kept falling over in the corners. I rank them below the Vredesteins and Nitto NT05's.

Luna.
06-23-10, 07:36 PM
I ran these late last year and hated them. The sidewalls just didn't have enough stiffness, felt like the car kept falling over in the corners. I rank them below the Vredesteins and Nitto NT05's.

Say no more, they are off my list.

(OT: How are the Toyo Proxes?)

CVP33
06-23-10, 08:29 PM
I just figure our cars weigh about the same so should perform about the same on similar tires. The Toyo's rank below the Vred's and Nittos for me but are a great low cost alternative at $650-ish a set. But you guys have a lot more options for your 19's. I'm stuck with 275/40/20's as the largest tire I can run on all four corners and clear the suspension properly and still rotate my tires. I wish I had 19's and all the options you guys have.

Stumeat
06-26-10, 09:22 AM
I am running them and being from the rainy northwest, I have to say, they are great in the rain. Just my little bit of input....

tbss08
06-26-10, 09:54 AM

So did you run these on a V2?

CVP33
06-26-10, 11:43 PM
So did you run these on a V2?

No. On an SRT8. You guys may have a better outcome, but doubtful. Our cars have a similar weight liability, as in their fat pigs. You need a good sidewall to keep the car planted. The Hankooks literally felt like the tire was de-beeding in a fast sweeper. The Vredesteins have a very stiff sidewall and help keep the tire under the car. We have a few track only guys that have set some pretty stout lap times at VIR, Laguna Seca and Watkins Glen on the new Nitto NT05's.

I hope the Hankooks do work out for your tire size and application as they're really cheap tires.

roarkb
06-28-10, 06:12 PM

I just installed these tires and have been very happy with them. I ordered them from Tire rack and it gave me a message that these tires had a higher load rating and thus a stiffer sidewall than the stock PS2's and would result in a rougher ride. I suspect we will not have the same problem.

The Car and Driver test rated, see thread elsewhere in the column rated these tires essentially as good as the PS2's and for half the price, I thought is worth a try. If they don't work out long term, the way I drive, they will not last long... I will buy the PS2's next time.

jwa999
06-28-10, 06:42 PM
I love them. over 7K on them now. I just upped the pressure from 36 to 38lbs cold(but 90F here in Texas).
Even at 36lbs i could still feel the outside back dip a little during a fast 90 degree left turn. At 38lbs the car feels very crisp, can perform very controlled slides. On the PS2s, I never liked the touring mode, these make the touring mode feel somewhere between ps2's sport and touring. They need some breaking in, few 100 miles.

CVP33
06-28-10, 07:14 PM
The Car and Driver test rated, see thread elsewhere in the column rated these tires essentially as good as the PS2's and for half the price, I thought is worth a try. If they don't work out long term, the way I drive, they will not last long... I will buy the PS2's next time.

Yeah, I read that too that's why I bought them. If you go re-read the article you'll find the tire tested was a 225/45/17 on a BMW 3 series. I'm sure they performed admirably and may even do so on 19" rims. I just thought with similar weight our cars may be similar as to how they react to tires. Maybe not. I can tell you that the Vredesteins have won over quite a few enthusiasts and are getting traction (no pun intended) with the Corvette and 350Z crowd. I wish someone here would try them, but I understand the apprehension. I felt like I wasted $550 when I bought the Hankooks so at $900 for the Vred's that would be slightly more painful. It sounds like you guys may have a winner in the Hankooks then, congrats!