: 36 mile test drive

sharky1
06-22-10, 08:00 PM
took my car in for the sunroof and picked it up to find they'd driven it 36 miles...service advisor said, we had to test it...am I pissed? Should I be? I take it I have no recourse?

IBNR
06-22-10, 08:02 PM
That seems a bit excessive, unless they went out multiple times between fix attempts. Even then....

I guess I'd be more worried about what happened during those 36 miles than the miles themselves!

sharky1
06-22-10, 08:27 PM
maybe I should check for rubber in the fenderwells?

JFJr
06-22-10, 08:29 PM
They needed to check the throttle response. Ha Haa! Seriously, if your dealer has a good reputation, don't worry too much.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-22-10, 08:30 PM
That 36 miles may've only been 16 miles traveled...

CopperSunburstCTS
06-22-10, 08:34 PM
They pulled that crap on me, for a radio amp replacement that was freezin up! The service advisor had the nerve to say the technician maybe wanted to check out the reception in different areas. Do they really think an adult is going to believe that nonsense? They are so used to selling and servicing cars from the non-enthusiasts crowd that I am prolly one of the few that ever complained. This was back in 03 when they finally came out with an enthusiasts car, the CTS, and mine was a hot colored copper sunburst with sport pkg and a 5 speed manual. Someone im sure just wanted to drive a manual and have fun with my car (at my expense im sure) aftr all, before that, how many manuals or hot looking cars of recent years did they ever have??

V&Vette
06-22-10, 08:48 PM
I would call back and ask for a manager or the owner of the dealer. Unacceptable. 36 miles for a sunroof is a joke :eek:....if they want the damn car...make the money and buy one. Don't let it go, they probably beat the crap out of it as well.

Caroutisine
06-22-10, 09:32 PM
Depends on how much time you want to spend on it. As long as there is no damage...it's just a car :)

sharky1
06-22-10, 09:42 PM
so you'd just let it slide when they most likely thrashed it?

Mika
06-22-10, 09:44 PM
I've driven cars for 30+ miles on some repairs. BUT, if it's a known issue/fix(TSB maybe), then 30+ miles is unacceptable. Sometimes techs have to adjust the window or the like to get it right, but I'm still kind of leaning towards it being unacceptable.

Mika

nynd
06-22-10, 09:53 PM
This is unacceptable. Think about it, 36 miles would equate to about 1/2 an hour out on a highway. Why test it that long. Most likely he's driving 1/2
hour home and then 1/2 hour back!

Gary Wells
06-22-10, 09:57 PM
Depends on how much time you want to spend on it. As long as there is no damage...it's just a car :)
Sorry, I disagree. But probably only because of my unusual circumstances. I am looking at retiring anytime, will have very little income coming in, and consequently my '09 CTS-V that I purchased last year is the last car, or at least the last nice car that I can buy. I think that 36 miles is excessive based on what we know now about the situation.
On the other hand, I will not leave any of my cars anywhere unless it is strictly necessary. I will wait all day if necessary.
Sorry, different strokes for different folks, I guess. There are almost as many casualty stories about dealers & their service work on this forum as there are "I love my dealer and my mechanic" stories on here. Some of these guys have gone through stuff on dealer & service work that would bring me to tears.

andrewperez
06-22-10, 10:00 PM
Unacceptable.

Speak to the GM or owner. Take it to Cadillac if you have to. It's obvious you're upset enough to warrant an explaination instead of an excuse.

sharky1
06-22-10, 10:09 PM
thanks to all for the response...the gm gets a copy of this tomorrow...

Caroutisine
06-22-10, 10:15 PM
As others have noted, resetting the G meter and then checking it upon receiving the car back from service can provide evidence of abuse. Hopefully they were respectful during the test drive.

sharky1
06-22-10, 10:39 PM
actually, I did that...they pulled a .58 on the right side, not such a big deal, is it?

cbloveday
06-22-10, 11:07 PM
.58 in nothing. 36 miles is way too much. The oinly thing I can think of is if they needed to take the car to another place for the work. BMW was required to take it out and check it for 5 miles unless owner refused. The have a designated 5 mile route and techs are not allowed to deviate.

mugatu22
06-23-10, 03:53 AM
I'm sorry but there IS NO explanation for a 36mi "test drive" for a sunroof.

100% take this to the service manager, and dealer president. Don't back down. No excuse exists for that many miles. Make it clear that you'll take your business elsewhere unless this is resolved. They have record of the tech who drove it that far...let him answer for his stupidity.

This is a situation when action is required, or else it WILL happen again either to you or to a fellow enthusiast. Why keep quiet and be part of the problem? Demand an explanation and possibly some customer "good will" offer on their part.

Titaniumseeker
06-23-10, 06:54 AM
I'm sorry but there IS NO explanation for a 36mi "test drive" for a sunroof.

100% take this to the service manager, and dealer president. Don't back down. No excuse exists for that many miles. Make it clear that you'll take your business elsewhere unless this is resolved. They have record of the tech who drove it that far...let him answer for his stupidity.

This is a situation when action is required, or else it WILL happen again either to you or to a fellow enthusiast. Why keep quiet and be part of the problem? Demand an explanation and possibly some customer "good will" offer on their part.

I agree. I actually experienced a tech dogging my car as je was driving it to a service area which required him to drive around the block. The end result was an apology, reprimand to the tech a full tank of gas and me requiring only a specific tech to handle my car. If he is off, then I do not bring my car in, Take this to the Service Manage and if still not satisfied then to the General Manager.

Caddyscat
06-23-10, 12:46 PM
There IS no more quality control nowadays, no more consideration for the customer. I've seen a lot of techs out here that look like they just got out of jail or just turned 20. They drive it like they stole it - who cares, it isn't theirs. For all they care they have a V in their possesion. You can set up the NAV to backtrack where the car has been for later reference. I feel your frustration.

rjoffe
06-23-10, 12:59 PM
Time for a plug for Lindsay :)

sharky1
06-23-10, 01:16 PM
how do you set up the nav?

FSTCADY
06-23-10, 03:53 PM
My two cents, that is unacceptable. I never let my V out of my sight at the dealer for this very reason. The big question is what can they do to make it up to you? In your position I don't know what I'd ask for. They aren't going to give you your money back for the car, obviously. But what can you ask for? If they give you free maintenance for example the dealer is going to yell at the service guys and I'm not sure I'd want them working on my car after someone yelled at them about it. This is just a really bad situation. Good luck.

Does anyone know whether the computer on the car maintains any record of what has happened in the car? For example, could they look at it and see what speed was hit, g-force, etc?

NoExpert
06-23-10, 07:34 PM
Ever see the scene in the movie Ferris Buelller's Day Off when they dropped off the car at a garage? I'm just sayin.' :hide:

Titaniumseeker
06-23-10, 10:50 PM
Time for a plug for Lindsay :)
Oh, did I forget to mention that my incident occurred at Lindsay who I rate very high on the dealer list? So it can happen anywhere, even at the best dealerships. Lindsay just made things right and addressed the problem right away.

cdog533
06-24-10, 01:16 PM
TALK to the guy that drove it. Ask him where he went.... Probably picked up his girlie and went to lunch.

Gary Wells
06-24-10, 03:21 PM
It would be my guess that the service manager will not divulge who drove the car or he will blame it on someone who is not in that day. That's their general altitude about such issues. It seems to me that a good service manager who is really on top of things would keep an eye out for that and any other thing that might cause any negative customer feedback. Service managers generally know what's going on anyway, but aren't going to cop to it.
One of the major reasons that I never leave my car with them.

Mikevette
06-24-10, 09:18 PM
They can plug a Tech 2 scanner into the OB2 port and dowload all pertaint data from the computer as far as performance/speed/RPM/. I had it done when I brought my Zo6 in for my buddy (service manager) to look a issue I was having with it. Instantly he starting grilling me how hard and fast to the exact speed that I had driven my Z. So yes they can tell in a few seconds after connecting this scanner just what that tech had done with your V in the last 36 miles!!!! Have then do a quick scan, now will tell you the truth, probrably not! Take it to somone you can trust and they will give your what you want to know.

good luck

Mike P.

Caddyscat
06-25-10, 12:50 AM
Config button/ Nav tab/ back-track enable.
Any savvy tech would know how to disable this function, however, any tech with credibility wouldn't do that.

Mike 09 V
06-27-10, 04:56 PM
Took my SRX in a few years ago for an oil leak. Full tank of gas. Earlier in the week we went to a bar and grill and saw a bunch of new caddies in the parking lot, and found a number of techs having lunch. Apparently taking customer cars out. We thought this was out of line but couldn't be sure if this was part of a road test and therefore legitimate. Nonetheless my wife noted the mileage when we took the car in. When we got it back it had an extra 300 miles on the odometer and almost no gas. We were furious. Now we make sure to tell the service writer that we will not stand for any extra mileage on teh car. FYI the oil leak turned out to be the drain plug.

cbloveday
06-27-10, 06:57 PM
Mike that is Unbelievable.

PSRmark
06-27-10, 11:46 PM
They can plug a Tech 2 scanner into the OB2 port and dowload all pertaint data from the computer as far as performance/speed/RPM/. I had it done when I brought my Zo6 in for my buddy (service manager) to look a issue I was having with it. Instantly he starting grilling me how hard and fast to the exact speed that I had driven my Z. So yes they can tell in a few seconds after connecting this scanner just what that tech had done with your V in the last 36 miles!!!! Have then do a quick scan, now will tell you the truth, probrably not! Take it to somone you can trust and they will give your what you want to know.

good luck

Mike P.

Thats only if it stores a freeze frame failure record. It's not monitoring your every move...

wfo
06-28-10, 11:28 AM
Quote: "On the other hand, I will not leave any of my cars anywhere unless it is strictly necessary. I will wait all day if necessary.
Sorry, different strokes for different folks, I guess. There are almost as many casualty stories about dealers & their service work on this forum as there are "I love my dealer and my mechanic" stories on here. Some of these guys have gone through stuff on dealer & service work that would bring me to tears".

I agree Gary Wells...

FSTCADY
06-28-10, 01:21 PM
Funny story that is mostly related. When I went to pick up my V for the first time I simultaneously dropped of my Yukon as the lease had ended. After completing the lease drop-off I went to meet my salesman to see if the V was ready. He said it wasn't but that he was going to make a coffee run and wondered if I wanted to come with him. I said sure, and he said let me see if I can get some keys. He comes back with the keys to the Yukon I just dropped off.

The issue there is that GM hadn't inspected my Yukon yet so if he damaged it over the weekend I would have been on the hook. The dealers really need to be on top of their staff to make sure these things don't happen. It was a good lesson for me though; I won't be taking my V to that dealer for anything that would require the car to leave my sight.

StuJac
06-28-10, 01:33 PM
Took my SRX in a few years ago for an oil leak. Full tank of gas. Earlier in the week we went to a bar and grill and saw a bunch of new caddies in the parking lot, and found a number of techs having lunch. Apparently taking customer cars out. We thought this was out of line but couldn't be sure if this was part of a road test and therefore legitimate. Nonetheless my wife noted the mileage when we took the car in. When we got it back it had an extra 300 miles on the odometer and almost no gas. We were furious. Now we make sure to tell the service writer that we will not stand for any extra mileage on teh car. FYI the oil leak turned out to be the drain plug.

That's by far the worst abuse I've ever seen. I would have taken that all the way to GM if need be. No excuse for that.

shchow
06-28-10, 07:28 PM
Funny story that is mostly related. When I went to pick up my V for the first time I simultaneously dropped of my Yukon as the lease had ended. After completing the lease drop-off I went to meet my salesman to see if the V was ready. He said it wasn't but that he was going to make a coffee run and wondered if I wanted to come with him. I said sure, and he said let me see if I can get some keys. He comes back with the keys to the Yukon I just dropped off.

The issue there is that GM hadn't inspected my Yukon yet so if he damaged it over the weekend I would have been on the hook. The dealers really need to be on top of their staff to make sure these things don't happen. It was a good lesson for me though; I won't be taking my V to that dealer for anything that would require the car to leave my sight.

If you "completed the lease drop-off", you would have signed off on the mileage of the car and condition of the car. I think you would have been fine...

EChas3
06-28-10, 08:30 PM
36 miles sounds excessive but you might be just imagining the worst. I do know from a sunroof issue with my wife's car when purchased, that body shops often know more about such issues than typical dealer service department mechanics. She made two trips to the dealer before taking it to their 'bodyshop affiliate'. Those three trips totaled around 60 miles but the improvement in windnoise was dramatic.

Unless there other reasons to suspect abuse, I doubt any real harm was done. Conversely for the SRX owner, if you're sure about the mileage and gas consumed, you have good grounds to be upset.