: STS rollout . . .

rayainsw
08-31-04, 09:06 AM
Warning – “rant mode” on . .

Am I the only one really, really annoyed at this whole STS ‘rollout’ process.

It appears to me that:

1 – Although dealers are starting to receive STS V8s, they will not likely receive a fully equipped STS V8 (1SF or 1SG) for a test drive – perhaps for a long, long while!

I would never even consider placing an order for a $50 – 60K+ vehicle without having at least test driven one similarly equipped.

2 – Dealers now have vehicles – but cannot sell them????

3 – QAF - The performance handling package appears to be on indefinite hold. This is, I believe, being marketed as a Performance Luxury Premium sedan. . .

4 – Information supplied to testing magazines indicates V8 EPA ratings of 17 / 26 for the V8 – but the first V6 sticker shows 17 / 24????????

Will the V8 (RWD – not AWD) with another liter of engine displacement to feed, be 22? Less?

Now I would not buy an STS V8 expecting Honda Civic gas mileage, but particularly with only a 17.5 or 18 gallon fuel tank, the highway range is rather limited. Several cars that Caddy seems to see as STS competition have 22 - 23+ gal. tanks, at least.

(Audi A8L = 23.7, Jaguar XJ8 = 22.3) And the Jag offers a 6-speed trans, with rpm @ 60 mph = 1600 and commensurate very good (for a large and heavy luxury / sport sedan) highway fuel mileage.

In fact, the Jag would (theoretically) allow a comfortable highway cruising range of 28 (EPA mpg) times 20 gal. (with a reserve) of over 550 miles. Pretty impressive to me.

“Rant mode” off.

The STS itself seems (without having an opportunity to either see or drive one) to be impressive, but . . .

- Ray
Looking elsewhere . . .

msheri01
08-31-04, 12:21 PM
The dealers who have vehicles CAN sell them. We have already sent one to it's new home.

The 1SF cars are being built. There are a number of them already produced. Just waiting to clear inspection and be loaded and shipped.

The test drive issue is interesting, since the red one (a V6) we have has been on a number of test drives already.

The mileage issue is comparable to like vehicles. Whether it is a make or break depends on the person. A V8 engine vs. a V6 with similar weight will do better, since the engine is not working as hard to move the vehicle.

STSgirl
09-02-04, 08:07 PM
Warning – “rant mode” on . .

Am I the only one really, really annoyed at this whole STS ‘rollout’ process.

It appears to me that:

1 – Although dealers are starting to receive STS V8s, they will not likely receive a fully equipped STS V8 (1SF or 1SG) for a test drive – perhaps for a long, long while!

I would never even consider placing an order for a $50 – 60K+ vehicle without having at least test driven one similarly equipped.

2 – Dealers now have vehicles – but cannot sell them????

3 – QAF - The performance handling package appears to be on indefinite hold. This is, I believe, being marketed as a Performance Luxury Premium sedan. . .

4 – Information supplied to testing magazines indicates V8 EPA ratings of 17 / 26 for the V8 – but the first V6 sticker shows 17 / 24????????

Will the V8 (RWD – not AWD) with another liter of engine displacement to feed, be 22? Less?

Now I would not buy an STS V8 expecting Honda Civic gas mileage, but particularly with only a 17.5 or 18 gallon fuel tank, the highway range is rather limited. Several cars that Caddy seems to see as STS competition have 22 - 23+ gal. tanks, at least.

(Audi A8L = 23.7, Jaguar XJ8 = 22.3) And the Jag offers a 6-speed trans, with rpm @ 60 mph = 1600 and commensurate very good (for a large and heavy luxury / sport sedan) highway fuel mileage.

In fact, the Jag would (theoretically) allow a comfortable highway cruising range of 28 (EPA mpg) times 20 gal. (with a reserve) of over 550 miles. Pretty impressive to me.

“Rant mode” off.

The STS itself seems (without having an opportunity to either see or drive one) to be impressive, but . . .

- Ray
Looking elsewhere . . .

I hear you and I am also very annoyed!!!!

I "ordered" a V8 AWD with every single option available! Ordering means that GM has received my order but will not aknowledge it, as the AWD's are on constraint without even a HINT of when they'll be available.
I cannot believe that GM would make at least a few "BALL'S-OUT" models with all the "poop." WHY WOULDN'T GM take care of higher $$ buyers right away?? Not to mention that this might sell more of the more expensive models because people would see them FIRST (you sell what you show theory)!!?????
I'm ready to frickin' explode!!

CaddyFan2004
09-02-04, 10:27 PM
I hear you and I am also very annoyed!!!!

I "ordered" a V8 AWD with every single option available! Ordering means that GM has received my order but will not aknowledge it, as the AWD's are on constraint without even a HINT of when they'll be available.
I cannot believe that GM would make at least a few "BALL'S-OUT" models with all the "poop." WHY WOULDN'T GM take care of higher $$ buyers right away?? Not to mention that this might sell more of the more expensive models because people would see them FIRST (you sell what you show theory)!!?????
I'm ready to frickin' explode!!

Gotta believe that if they could make "loaded" cars, they would. Typically it's a parts shortage that drives a restriction like this, not that they don't want to make and sell higher profit cars.

EgyptianQueen
09-03-04, 12:24 PM
I think what we all have to remember is that there are all these other consumers who have ordered the vehicle just like you and the supply cannot fit the demand. Sure Cadillac could have only guessed at the initial response, but sometimes guessing isn't enough. Hey, atleast they are trying and got rid of the "granny" design. Patience is the only thing that will help you get through this. Be patient and all the waiting will be worth the vehicle once you take it home.