: Your experiences with gauges

agp
06-22-10, 06:15 PM
Hey guys,

I'm Hunter and I usually hang around the CTS board because I don't have a V. But recently I did some research and became interested in installing some gauges, not really for anything but mere aesthetic purposes. I saw a few pictures of people here with ashtray mounted gauges, and I was curious if there's a particular vendor that makes those pods for CTS/V ashtray or are they custom made? Also, how hard is it to install a volt gauge? I'm looking to put one, maybe two, gauges in the ashtray's place. If I put one, I'd like to keep the 12V outlet in the little drawer thing. Please feel free to share your experiences, thanks!

Hunter

heavymetals
06-23-10, 03:00 AM
I think there is a pillar gauge holder that looks better then the ashtray, if your going for looks/function.

http://www.lmperformance.com/4066/.html

http://www.jegs.com/c/Gauges-Tachs_Gauge-Cups-Panels-and-Pods/10335/10002/-1

agp
06-23-10, 08:53 AM
I'm trying to stay away from the pillar, only looking to put one in the ashtray. How hard is it to hook up a volt gauge?

nmaier2201
06-23-10, 09:21 AM
Heavy... just because it isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean you can't help the guy out. :suspense:

AGP. Voltmeters are not hard to hook up, but I think the computer already tracks voltage, I know in the V I can get a display of the voltage, even if you can't maybe you want to get a scanner gauge that will display voltage and tons of other computer harvested data.

Putting a 2" or 2 1/16" single gauge in the ashtray is possible, but requires some trimming with a dremel tool. basically in order for the ashtray to close again the gauge must be able to mount flush all the way to the back of that ashtray (without the insert) Honestly it'll have to be a electrical gauge with a sending unit, because with that thing opening and closing a mechanical gauge might not be the best idea.

There is no vendor for a dual pod in the ashtray, a while back someone on here had some plastic gauge "masks" made. They were a once and done deal, so they are gone. It's a plastic mask that you could attach to the front of the ashtray and install two gauges.

If you need I have pictures of both I can upload and share, but hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

There is a guy or two on here that have made their own custom pillar gauge pods, and those are really sweet, but they involve relocating the pillar speaker, lots of fiberglass and sanding... beyond my patience and skill level.

Good luck, make sure you install a gauge that means something... otherwise you'll go "awww" after you install it.

agp
06-23-10, 05:53 PM
nmaier, how would I hook the wire from the gauge to the battery? Through the center vents? And please post the pictures you mentioned, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

jaskel
06-24-10, 11:48 AM
Can't help much with the gauge pod discussion of this thread, but will throw out a +1 on the scanner guage, specifically look into the Aeroforce Interceptor guage, it plugs into your obd2 port and basically allows you to digitally display just about everything the PCM is reading and allows for up to two more external inputs. Great tool let's you monitor lots and also scan and clear codes

shadybx7
06-24-10, 12:05 PM
+1 on the aeroforce it does everything and will fit in the ashtray with minor modifications to the ashtray. i have mine mounted on the column
http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii384/shadybx7/aeroforce/installed%20aero/DSCF5460.jpg