: Virgin to V questions: warranty, badge, and cruise control

The Guns
06-21-10, 10:59 PM
I bought one of these things (06 infrared) and have several questions.

does anyone know how the factory warranty date works (the 'born on' date)? This V I own has 30K miles, so I'm covered there. I figured I'd have a couple months of factory warranty left due to the car being titled in august of 06. I called the local dealer, who told me the warranty was closed out as of Jan 10. does a factory warranty begin when the car is delivered to a dealer, or does it begin when it is sold/titled? WTH?

I have a GM performance division badge on the inside of the engine compartment: front passenger side on a cross support. it is to the side of the radiator. A friend at work, who owns an 06 (and is responsible for my moment of weakness), says that his 06 does not have this badge. any thoughts on what it is? factory? aftermarket?

on the way back from my 1500 mile purchase of said V, the cruise control stopped working (last 50 miles). after I turned the car off, I got a 'service traction stabiltiy system' warning on the NAV. it also turned off TC. The next day, everything works fine. I have access to a tech2 computer, but won't be able to plug in for a few days. anyone else had a similar problem?

thanks in advance for the help.

Guns

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-21-10, 11:36 PM
The warranty I'm not sure about.

The badge all Vs should have.

How's your alternator working? If you're getting a weak charge a bunch of random stuff will pop up like that.

JimmyH
06-22-10, 01:17 AM
4 years, 50k miles from the date/mileage the car was first titled.
It's possible the car was first titled in August 06, but I find that unlikely since they would have been selling 07s by then. Leftovers did/do exist, but they are rare. Supposedly, EVH up in Wisconsin still has two brand new 2005 Vs for sale.

cvettr/cts-v
06-22-10, 01:08 PM
It goes from the inservice date not the titled date as someone could buy and not title it though that would be a bit dumb. There are 06's with warranty left as mine is proof bought new may 2007 warranty till 50,000 miles or may 2011. There were 3 more left new in the country when I bought mine. There is one in the classifieds now that a Caddy dealer auctioned one off to a non-Caddy dealer where it was bought and titled by that first owner but the warranty started when the original dealer auctioned it off as that would be the in service date, as a non-caddy dealer can not sell as new but they can sell as never titled. That is why it goes by the in service date not the titled date as not all states do the dealers collect sales tax and send off for your title. Any GM dealer's service department can run a vin check and give you the inservice date that your warranty started on. Got pics of the car and badge?

PISNUOFF
06-22-10, 01:36 PM
The superstar installing the engine cover and badge forgot the badge on his car. It's not like all V's came down the assembly line one after another, there were many other models in between. Mine is rediculously crooked.

TampaCTS-V
06-22-10, 02:20 PM
guns, could you pm me the price you paid? i am trying to sell my 2006 infrared as we speak and was wondering what similar cars are going for. thanks

JimmyH
06-22-10, 02:39 PM
It goes from the inservice date not the titled date as someone could buy and not title it though that would be a bit dumb.

I see your point, but that has to be an extremely rare occurrence. I don't know about other states, but when you buy a car in Illinois, the dealer has to transfer the title to you before you can drive away. I cannot see a situation where you would buy a car from a dealer, but not take possession of it.

cvettr/cts-v
06-22-10, 03:35 PM
I see your point, but that has to be an extremely rare occurrence. I don't know about other states, but when you buy a car in Illinois, the dealer has to transfer the title to you before you can drive away. I cannot see a situation where you would buy a car from a dealer, but not take possession of it.

Oh yes it is VERY rare. What the dealer gives you on a new vehicle is the statement of origin (kind of like a pre title and title application form) which you could take possesion of and never go to dmv and pay taxes and register to get the actual first title in some states like Missouri. I'm not sure about other states but Missouri now sends the the title to the vehicle owner with the lein on it if there is one (seems not so bright of an idea), so I don't see how the lender would know if you registered it with dmv like they used to know because they did not get the title. Maybe they just get notification that the title with lein on it was sent to owner. It does seem simpler in states like IL where they send it to dmv for you and collect tax on the spot, no way to try to cheat that system. And yes anytime a new vehicle is sold to the public or in an auction to a non-franchised dealer say a Saab dealer bought new Caddy from Caddy dealer either outright or in an auction format the Caddy dealer would be responsible to report that date sold as the Vehicles in service date starting the warranty mile and time clocks even though it is not titled but that is again VERY rare only seen done about 8-10 times. In Missouri you have to pay the dmv for your taxes after getting the vehicle some states like Il and Tx you pay the dealer and it is not uncommon for them to finance the taxes making the loan company and the dealer extra monies on their commissions from the loan company while getting the customer more upside down in a vehicle and possibly buying more vehicle than they should.

JimmyH
06-22-10, 04:32 PM
I am not sure how that would work. In order to register a car, and get plates, and be able to drive it, you have to title it. I suppose you could load it up on a truck. I thought you had to title a car to take ownership of it. I bought my V in OH, and my CTS in IN, and both times, they still had to title it in their state, send me the title, then I had to take the out of state title to get my IL title and registration. Bill of sale alone is not acceptable. Illinois will only accept a state title. The dealer in OH did not charge any taxes. I paid them when I titled the V in Illinois. The dealer in Indiana charged me sales tax, which Illinois credited against the sales tax i would have owed here.

repenttokyo
06-22-10, 05:23 PM
some dealers put cars in service without selling them in order to take advantage of factory incentives.

cvettr/cts-v
06-22-10, 05:31 PM
some dealers put cars in service without selling them in order to take advantage of factory incentives.

Ok so now I'm curious what incentives would that be? And yes they can put in service before selling like is done with demo's but most dealers would not put a V series in demo except for the owners of the dealership I would imagine. Would putting in service before selling help with allocations?

repenttokyo
06-22-10, 06:12 PM
Ok so now I'm curious what incentives would that be? And yes they can put in service before selling like is done with demo's but most dealers would not put a V series in demo except for the owners of the dealership I would imagine. Would putting in service before selling help with allocations?

there are cash incentives available for moving specific inventory, as well as restrictions regarding the ordering of new inventory before moving old inventory.

what some dealerships do is put a car in service claiming it is being used as a demo, while actually not using it as a demo at all. They then sell the car as new to a customer. it's not technically underhanded - the car is new, it hasn't been titled - but the warranty period has already begun counting down on that vehicle.

cvettr/cts-v
06-22-10, 06:30 PM
Understood, thanks.

The Guns
06-22-10, 06:42 PM
guns, could you pm me the price you paid? i am trying to sell my 2006 infrared as we speak and was wondering what similar cars are going for. thanks

I tried to PM you but I am still enough of a virgin that I am restricted. I have your email because we contacted a couple weeks ago about your car. I'll send you an email.

The Guns
06-22-10, 06:49 PM
there are cash incentives available for moving specific inventory, as well as restrictions regarding the ordering of new inventory before moving old inventory.

what some dealerships do is put a car in service claiming it is being used as a demo, while actually not using it as a demo at all. They then sell the car as new to a customer. it's not technically underhanded - the car is new, it hasn't been titled - but the warranty period has already begun counting down on that vehicle.

So, something like this must have happened with mine. inservice is Jan 06, title shows up in NM in August 06. Is there any way for fighting such a thing? This is more of a general question for the next time I buy a new or used car. this is something to really pay attention to if someone is shopping for a new/last year's model car (like between now and august when the 11s show up).

I'll try to get a pic set up. I'll need to establish an online pic account somewhere first.

Again, thanks for the help and insight.

cvettr/cts-v
06-22-10, 07:21 PM
So, something like this must have happened with mine. inservice is Jan 06, title shows up in NM in August 06. Is there any way for fighting such a thing? This is more of a general question for the next time I buy a new or used car. this is something to really pay attention to if someone is shopping for a new/last year's model car (like between now and august when the 11s show up).

I'll try to get a pic set up. I'll need to establish an online pic account somewhere first.

Again, thanks for the help and insight.

Photo bucket is easy and free.
As to the inservice date if there is any possibility of a warranty I do ask but last 3 were bought new and confirmed that the in service date was going to be the day I bought. I can see why most would not question this. One question I would have on your car would be, was it put in service by the same dealer that it was bought from in august of 06 and does the previous owner assuming it was a 1 owner car have any insight into this? Any GM dealer should be able to tell you the original dealer it was delivered to and who put in service. Could have simply been put in service and driven to another dealer for a dealer trade. Also after finding the original dealer a phone call to them may clear up the differing dates. Worth a try just to know.

0AT E03
06-22-10, 11:46 PM

Yours is the Red one on Autotrader (also posted here in the classifieds right?)

TampaCTS-V
06-22-10, 11:55 PM
Yours is the Red one on Autotrader (also posted here in the classifieds right?)

yep, that's the one

cvettr/cts-v
06-23-10, 11:47 AM
Anyone got a pic of this badge and a pic of its location glanced last night and don't see it on mine.

JimmyH
06-23-10, 01:34 PM
Here is the badge. I think it's on the inside passenger side fender (in the engine bay I mean). I am sure someone will correct me.

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/gmpdplate.jpg

cvettr/cts-v
06-23-10, 02:19 PM
Here is the badge. I think it's on the inside passenger side fender (in the engine bay I mean). I am sure someone will correct me.

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/gmpdplate.jpg

Thanks Jimmyh.
Ok, Guns is this the badge? And if so is the proper location on the passenger side between the passenger fender and the radiator on the lower lip of the support right near the washer fill cap? You can get an idea of where I mean looking at tampa cts-v's sale add, engine compartment pic looks like silver area where I described.

toberting22
06-23-10, 02:43 PM
I am going to have to go look for this badge... I don't think mine has it!

JimmyH
06-23-10, 04:47 PM
Thanks Jimmyh.
Ok, Guns is this the badge? And if so is the proper location on the passenger side between the passenger fender and the radiator on the lower lip of the support right near the washer fill cap? You can get an idea of where I mean looking at tampa cts-v's sale add, engine compartment pic looks like silver area where I described.

yes, that is the GM perf badge.

cvettr/cts-v
06-23-10, 05:12 PM
On that lip seems like a very odd / stupid place for it doesn't it?

JimmyH
06-23-10, 05:15 PM
I don't know. It's conspicuous when you open the hood. The badge itself seems superfluous to me, so I am not sure what to tell you. Back in the day, guys here were going all googly for those badges, which seemed kind of silly to me as well.

The Guns
06-23-10, 08:53 PM
Thanks Jimmyh.

Yes, this is exactly it. mine has it, and I can see it in one of Tampa's pics. I agree that it seems like a really strange place to put a decal. It also sounds like the friends' V (that does not have one) is not the only one. Further thoughts on its significance?

thanks

Guns

JimmyH
06-23-10, 09:44 PM
All it is, is a badge proclaiming it a product of the elite (and now defunct) GM Performance Division. If your car came with one, that means it had an extra 15 bhp.

cvettr/cts-v
06-24-10, 11:26 AM
It does seem to be a real hit or miss as to who has them and who don't. Maybe that person did 1/2 #$% work as mentioned above but I also thoght that was why they have quality control inspections that missed quite a few as if all the leftover badges would not have given them a clue or the line worker could have thrown them away when they realized they kept forgetting them. Atleast it is something that really does not affect anything.

PISNUOFF
06-24-10, 11:44 AM
The QC inspectors have the same problem. Many different models coming down the line in no particular order. They have to check about 40 different items, it's very easy to miss something like that badge when it only comes down the line about once out of a hundred cars.

JimmyH
06-24-10, 09:23 PM
I wonder if any regular CTS got them by mistake.

The Guns
06-25-10, 06:55 PM
You guys know the manufacturing process better than I, so here is a question: Are these cars partially put together on a normal CTS line, then sent to another facility to be finished as Vs? it would seem a build rate of 3000/year would not be enough to satisfy a full time manufacturing process. a batch process where a small shop finishes the uniqueness of the V seems more logical (properly utilize high running common componets versus the onezy twozy of the V).

I think these are at least finished in Lansing MI. Yes?

0AT E03
06-25-10, 07:16 PM
The CTS, SRX, STS, STS-V, and CTS-V were built on the same line up until the SRX changed generations in 2010 (when it moved off of Sigma).

Currently the plant builds CTS Sedan, Coupe, Wagon, and the CTS-V Sedan, and Coupe (soon Wagon) on the same line along with an STS every so often.

Everything is placed in the correct order in the part queue on the line so that the correct parts go into the correct cars.

It should be noted that rear and front cradle assemblies come on trucks 100% put together from another facility down the road.

The plant is Lansing Grand River, and it is built on the site of the old Oldsmobile Plant 1 in downtown Lansing.

JimmyH
06-25-10, 07:27 PM
They also build cts in china for that market
I wonder if they sell V over there