: Fleetwood '81: where to find mast/cable for power antenna?

dElegance81
06-21-10, 05:06 PM
This appears to be a common topic around here, but the power antenna on my 1981 Fleetwood Brougham has stopped moving. The motor works when I connect the wires, so my service manual tells me that the cable is broken (antenna moves freely when you pull it, mast is not bent etc).

Now then, I'm sort of fussy about my car (imported by myself from California, 1 previous owner, 59k miles, loaded with options and runs beautifully - sort of a sight over here in Finland) and would like to replace the broken antenna. Moreover, I hope to have it registered as a historic vehicle (making it road tax exempt) once it turns 30, which means that, strictly speaking, I can only have OEM parts in my car. This sort of disqualifies replacing the antenna with an aftermarket one, and especially splicing wires under the hood will be a big NO-NO.

So my question is - where can I buy one of these cable/mast assemblies and get it shipped to Europe? Quite obviously I don't need the entire mechanism, as I have a working motor and my mast is straight, but if it comes to that, well... I've paid for more stupid stuff anyway :)

There are some Cadillac antennas on eBay but they are for Seville and Eldorado, and I don't have the part number for the - apparently Delco-branded - power antenna in my car, so I don't really know which part replaces what. Any help is appreciated.

Bro-Ham
06-21-10, 08:34 PM
I don't believe Cadillac dealers will be able to help you with an exact match of your original antenna. I had the same problem with a 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe I owned previously and also with my 79 Sedan deVille. The dealers have a power antenna replacement that they say is for the particular model years, in my case 81 and 77, but it's basically a universal power antenna that requires some alteration. Be patient and I bet you will find what you need on eBay. Otherwise, get on google and see if you can find a NOS supplier.

Adrian12
06-22-10, 06:14 AM
This appears to be a common topic around here, but the power antenna on my 1981 Fleetwood Brougham has stopped moving. The motor works when I connect the wires, so my service manual tells me that the cable is broken (antenna moves freely when you pull it, mast is not bent etc).

Now then, I'm sort of fussy about my car (imported by myself from California, 1 previous owner, 59k miles, loaded with options and runs beautifully - sort of a sight over here in Finland) and would like to replace the broken antenna. Moreover, I hope to have it registered as a historic vehicle (making it road tax exempt) once it turns 30, which means that, strictly speaking, I can only have OEM parts in my car. This sort of disqualifies replacing the antenna with an aftermarket one, and especially splicing wires under the hood will be a big NO-NO.

So my question is - where can I buy one of these cable/mast assemblies and get it shipped to Europe? Quite obviously I don't need the entire mechanism, as I have a working motor and my mast is straight, but if it comes to that, well... I've paid for more stupid stuff anyway :)

There are some Cadillac antennas on eBay but they are for Seville and Eldorado, and I don't have the part number for the - apparently Delco-branded - power antenna in my car, so I don't really know which part replaces what. Any help is appreciated.

hi

i repaired my original 81 antenna with a PCV-cable for electrical installation for your home... take the correct diameter and length and put it in :D

have a look for the link for the pic

http://www.erwinluecken.de/media/images/bgs-einziehspirale1990.jpg

my antenna works fine with this solution, its original and not expensive :)

"servus" from austria :D