: Clutch "shudder?"

06-21-10, 04:52 PM
I've now got about 1500 miles on my 2010 V with the 6M transmission. Upon delivery, I noticed a slight "shudder" (though not really a "chatter") when engaging the clutch at very low rpm. It was a clutch shudder, not an "engine lug" shudder. I could easily get rid of it by adding a couple hundred extra RPM to the engine when engaging the clutch.

I figured it could have been some oil or grease or other residue on the clutch or pressure plate from the mfg process, and that it might go away. It has not gone away, and might even be getting a hair worse. Not anxious to take the car in for service on something like this....I am wondering if others have had similar experiences with their V2?

(Before I get the internet driving lessons, note that this is about my 10th car with a manual trans over the past 30 years, including a V1 and numerous mustangs, trucks, and even a toyota or two, plus I worked in the car biz for a while and I drove dozens or hundreds of other cars, so I do know how to drive it and I do know what they are supposed to feel like)

RapidRob
06-21-10, 06:57 PM
^^^^ Not I - clutch engages smoothly or abruptly, depending on how fast I move the peddle.

Rob

mowershop
06-21-10, 07:51 PM
I have it as well at low rpms. I notice it mostly in reverse

CopperSunburstCTS
06-21-10, 10:09 PM
Can u try another one at the dealer to see if it is just yours? I will be following this thread closely, i am about to order a Coupe with the manual, but this is the kind of stuff I dont want to deal with, ughhh. Hopefully a lot of others with the manual will weigh in

I've now got about 1500 miles on my 2010 V with the 6M transmission. Upon delivery, I noticed a slight "shudder" (though not really a "chatter") when engaging the clutch at very low rpm. It was a clutch shudder, not an "engine lug" shudder. I could easily get rid of it by adding a couple hundred extra RPM to the engine when engaging the clutch.

I figured it could have been some oil or grease or other residue on the clutch or pressure plate from the mfg process, and that it might go away. It has not gone away, and might even be getting a hair worse. Not anxious to take the car in for service on something like this....I am wondering if others have had similar experiences with their V2?

(Before I get the internet driving lessons, note that this is about my 10th car with a manual trans over the past 30 years, including a V1 and numerous mustangs, trucks, and even a toyota or two, plus I worked in the car biz for a while and I drove dozens or hundreds of other cars, so I do know how to drive it and I do know what they are supposed to feel like)

06-21-10, 10:33 PM
Can u try another one at the dealer to see if it is just yours? I will be following this thread closely, i am about to order a Coupe with the manual, but this is the kind of stuff I dont want to deal with, ughhh. Hopefully a lot of others with the manual will weigh in

problem was that there were no manuals anywhere nearby when I ordered mine....and there are none now.

This is a pretty minor issue and I don't consider it a problem (it can be easily eliminated with a couple extra revs, and it is not an issue when doing a spirited launch) but it does seem unusual. Order your coupe with confidence.

Club Malibu
06-21-10, 11:47 PM
Mine does this too. I can eliminate it if if shift at the right point. (I have a broken bone in each of my feet so maybe that's half the problem)

NeedCTS-v
06-22-10, 09:31 AM
I have a trace of this but usually only during hot weather and when I have the AC on. It seems to be more of a throttle response issue..

JFJr
06-22-10, 10:20 AM
I've now got about 1500 miles on my 2010 V with the 6M transmission. Upon delivery, I noticed a slight "shudder" (though not really a "chatter") when engaging the clutch at very low rpm. It was a clutch shudder, not an "engine lug" shudder. I could easily get rid of it by adding a couple hundred extra RPM to the engine when engaging the clutch.I have nearly 27,000 miles on my car and experience that when I let the clutch engage in 1st or reverse gear with insufficient rpm. Yes, this clutch is slightly different than the one on my 2005 CTS-V and my manual transmission Corvettes, but it is a characteristic of the car, easy to compensate for and nothing to be concerned about. Just make that minor adjustment and you will be shifting smoother than the automatic transmission.

Jud

cdog533
06-22-10, 04:11 PM
Mine does it too. Just rev it more and dig in the clutch a little deeper...

06-23-10, 06:08 AM
Thanks guys. I was hoping that it was a "characteristic" of the car. I'll take it any day over the low speed shifting clunk of the V1.

Z06ified
06-23-10, 03:23 PM
Yep, mine started it too. First noticed it around 4,000 miles. It seems to only do it when the car is warming up. Once up to full operating temp, no more chatter. My last car to do the same thing but worse was my '03 infiniti G35 Coupe. They replaced the clutch twice and the flywheel and pressure plate and it still did it on that car.

mugatu22
06-24-10, 12:36 AM
Another reason to get the automatic.

06-24-10, 05:59 AM
Another reason to get the automatic.

:tisk:

mugatu22
06-25-10, 03:26 AM
:tisk:

:alchi:

e6t
11-02-10, 11:52 PM
i have this. seems to make it hard to drive the car easily and i am forever over-revving to compensate for the shake.

has anyone found resolution?

sybersport
11-03-10, 12:52 AM
I have this issue as well in my 2011 V Sedan

GMX322V S/C
11-03-10, 03:11 AM
It sounds like glazing. Sometimes glazing can be caused by not bedding in the clutch optimally--similar to brake pads, but it can also be caused by too much run-out/warpage in one or more of the mating surfaces...

e6t
11-03-10, 10:43 AM
It sounds like glazing. Sometimes glazing can be caused by not bedding in the clutch optimally--similar to brake pads, but it can also be caused by too much run-out/warpage in one or more of the mating surfaces...

uhm... no habla clutchanese.

english?

Z06ified
11-03-10, 12:27 PM
The shuddering on mine seems to have gone away after flogging it on the track at Monticello a month and a half ago. Maybe that was the correct break-in the clutch needed all along. I'm at 8,500 miles now, BTW.

e6t
11-03-10, 01:01 PM
The shuddering on mine seems to have gone away after flogging it on the track at Monticello a month and a half ago. Maybe that was the correct break-in the clutch needed all along. I'm at 8,500 miles now, BTW.

interesting... so you are suggesting that i beat the piss out of the car and it will go away.

i can try that.

garfin
11-03-10, 01:23 PM

I thought I might have experienced this in my car for a short period of time earlier in the year... nothing terribly obvious, but I did notice something (a vibration?) a number of times on very easy acceleration from a stop. If it was there, it's certainly not there any longer. The car seems to have become even smoother now and easier to launch at just off idle.

Best regards,

Elie

GMX322V S/C
11-03-10, 03:21 PM
interesting... so you are suggesting that i beat the piss out of the car and it will go away.

i can try that.

LOL. Sometimes running it hard can break down the glazing. If it just gets worse, something might need to be resurfaced or replaced...

e6t
11-03-10, 06:05 PM
LOL. Sometimes running it hard can break down the glazing. If it just gets worse, something might need to be resurfaced or replaced...

certainly it shouldnt need to be resurfaced with less than 2500 miles on it

jwa999
11-04-10, 12:24 AM

Funny, that happened to me with the "Wheel Clicking". Ran it hard for a couple of hours one Saturday and when i parked the car, when i normally heard the clicking it was all gone. Never came back either. That was April 2009, 4 months after i bought it. Car was clicking for over a month.

e6t
11-04-10, 12:37 PM
funny... i ran it a little (lot) harder than normal and the shuddering is much better.

e6t
11-14-10, 01:26 PM
Shudder is back.

I have to think something is wrong but im skeered to take the car in.

So far, Ive wheel clicking, albeit not bad, sunroof noise and clutch shudder. I do a ton of stop and go driving and it really bugs me. Still under 3000 miles. Something isn't right.

Does this car have the same clutch as any other gm cars so maybe I can go ask for suggestions elsewhere?

Has anyone had the dealer look at their clutch?

garfin
11-14-10, 01:41 PM
Shudder is back.

I have to think something is wrong but im skeered to take the car in.

So far, Ive wheel clicking, albeit not bad, sunroof noise and clutch shudder. I do a ton of stop and go driving and it really bugs me. Still under 3000 miles. Something isn't right.

Does this car have the same clutch as any other gm cars so maybe I can go ask for suggestions elsewhere?

Has anyone had the dealer look at their clutch?

I think our clutch is the same dual disc clutch that is on the ZR1. Maybe just do a quick double check to verify...

Best regards,

Elie

e6t
11-15-10, 04:10 PM
so no one has any resolution other than over-revving?

ugh... i guess i'll guinea pig up and take it to the dealer.