: Heres the deal...

generaltso64
06-21-10, 04:02 PM
My vacuum pump is making a rattling noise. I was curious as to how much that pump has to do with the operation of the motor. Does it have something to do with brake operation? Climate control? Overdrive in the 700r4? Passing gear? The car is still pretty much stock, except for shaved handles and some shag fur in the interior. Ive had the car since I was a teenager, and havent done major work to the car except the water and power steering pump. I still aint ready to let go of her yet...looking to buy a rebuit 403 small block and put in it next tax season. any help on the vacuum pump question would be appreciated. Will post a pic of the car when I firgure out how.

88 brougham olds drivetrain 5.0 4bbl

sven914
06-21-10, 05:24 PM
I have yet to find a vacuum pump on the 307 used after 1986 (they were used in the early '80's for the brake system). So I'm curious as to what you're looking at; would it be possible to take a picture of it so we can identify it.

And you car has the THM 200-4R transmission, not the 700.

greencadillacmatt
06-21-10, 05:26 PM
Welcome to the Forums!

Just FYI, the trans in that car is the 200-4R, not the 700-R4. And no, there is no vacuum connection to the trans. There is NO connection to that trans other than a small electrical connector and the Throttle Valve cable. Enjoy the car, and I'm sure other's will be around to answer more of your questions.

csbuckn
06-21-10, 07:55 PM
Maybe smog pump?

sven914
06-21-10, 09:06 PM
^That's what I was thinking.

generaltso64
06-23-10, 08:54 AM
I have yet to find a vacuum pump on the 307 used after 1986 (they were used in the early '80's for the brake system). So I'm curious as to what you're looking at; would it be possible to take a picture of it so we can identify it.

And you car has the THM 200-4R transmission, not the 700.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1531&pictureid=7217

"vacuum pump" to the lower left of ac compressor.

So if what yall is saying is true, hypothetically I should be able to delete this and anything hooked to it and the car should keep on truckin, right?

generaltso64
06-23-10, 09:00 AM
Also theres this thigamajig lol.......

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1531&pictureid=7218

this does hook to the brake booster, along with 1000 other vacuum lines going to all over the motor! I need all of the extra 'crap' gone so I can actually work on my car, ya know?

sven914
06-23-10, 06:40 PM
That pulley is your Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.) pump, which supplies air to the catalytic converter, so it can reach the correct temperature to vaporize harmful emission gases. You can remove the system, but you car will not be able to pass emission testing.

The thigamajig is the solenoid assembly, and is responsible for controlling crucial systems such as the Exhaust Gas Recirculator valve, the Idle Load Compensator, the Knock Solenoid, and the Carburettor Vacuum Brakes. As with everything, you can remove it, but it's going to be a nightmare trying to control everything under the hood and have the car be drivable.

csbuckn
06-23-10, 09:18 PM
Cant you just cut the belt?