: Last post, race car blew up

bigds01
06-21-10, 10:05 AM
So after studding the block, spending way more than we should have having the entire bottom end rebuilt, the racing caddy blew up after 34 laps. It was by far the fastest car on the track, if only it ran.

What happened was we were burning through coolant (water only) and couldn't figure out why. All of a sudden the rear bank towards the passenger side was smoking. We quickly figured out the headgasket blew again. I am not saying it was the studs, vs. either our crap work or the hg material.

Our next car will have an inline 4 as cleary the northstar is not a good racing engine. We were however the most talked about car there.

Thanks to all for all the advice over the last 5 months.

Submariner409
06-21-10, 11:13 AM
The Northstar is/was a racing engine originally developed by Lotus for the road course Corvettes - but, yes, it was re-engineered and toned down for general automotive use.

Too bad you sunk the time and bucks into the car since 11 November just to have it blow up due to ????

bigds01
06-21-10, 11:22 AM
Not exactly sure why it blew. We followed Jakes directions to the T. It was burning through 2-4 gallons of water every 15 minutes. Eventually started smoking out the back and on the rear bank.

The amazing part was Summit Point has the carousel like the N-ring. Dude a 94 caddy in the n-ring was insane.

What is worse is the 3400 bucks we dropped at Lyndsey to get the entire bottom end built in a day. They did great work quickly.

ponyboyt
06-21-10, 03:17 PM
That sucks, hope this isnt the last we hear of this. Any intention of looking into the cause?

bigds01
06-21-10, 07:31 PM
Well today the car got blown up in an anti-terrorism class offered at the track, so no root cause analysis is possible

97EldoCoupe
06-21-10, 10:37 PM
That's a shame. I wish you would have kept the body around - too bad it's blown up.

The Northstar is an all-out race engine. High rpm's make these things happy. They can handle just about anything thrown at them. I wish you would have torn the engine down to inspect the cause of failure.

When is this race held again? And where again exactly?

Submariner409
06-22-10, 08:55 AM
Summit Point Raceway, in West Virginia, about an hour+ WNW of Washington, DC. Nice track. Been there, done that.

If you're a Civil War buff, this is the area - Antietam, Harper's Ferry, South Mountain; more battlefields and history than anyone can absorb...........and drop dead gorgeous country. National Quarter Horse Championships in nearby Charles Town, WV. All my ancestral country in that neck of MD/VA/WV.

mitchjagger
07-07-10, 04:23 PM
Pics of the race please?