: Goodyear boys chime in

6 SPEED Z
06-21-10, 09:29 AM
Ok the V needs new tires, and I was looking at the Sumitomo's from Tire Rack. Car is just a driver, no track time, and the Goodyear Eagles are like only $32 more for the set vs the Sumi's, but have heard some not too pleasant things about the Goodyears, PS-2's are out of the question also. Just like to hear any good/bad things about the Goodyears.

Thanks

Slithering_Joe
06-21-10, 11:42 AM
I'd get the Sumi's over the Goodyears any day.

mberisha
06-21-10, 12:03 PM
I have the Sumi's and I love them...go with the 275 on the rear...they really hook-up.

http://www.picture2life.com/Home/Gallery/8270464/Sizes

6 SPEED Z
06-21-10, 12:11 PM
I thought about that but want to rotate front to back so I was gonna do the
255/40/18 all around. I had Sumi's on my Z and liked them, and I have BFG KDW's on it now and really like them, but the BFG's now have that awesome looking footprint, but lots of people say they are noisy.

AAIIIC
06-21-10, 12:16 PM
Which "the Goodyears" and which "the Sumitomos" are you referring to? I'm pretty sure both companies make more than one tire that will fit our cars.

6 SPEED Z
06-21-10, 12:24 PM
Which "the Goodyears" and which "the Sumitomos" are you referring to? I'm pretty sure both companies make more than one tire that will fit our cars.

The Sumi's HTR Z III and the Goodyear Eagle GT, and don't want to spend much more then those tires, yes Goodyear makes a tire but it is out of the price range.

AAIIIC
06-21-10, 01:46 PM
A max performance summer tire vs. an all-season tire? Two different flavors - which type of tire are you looking for? If you're limited to just those two, then the Sumitomos would seem like the no-brainer choice to me, but I don't know what exactly you're looking for or why you chose those two particular tires to compare.

For the same money (on Tire Rack) you could get the Hankook Ventus V12 summer tires, which get very positive reviews and have a rebate right now, or the Yokohama Avid W4S, an all-season tire that scored higher than the Eagle GT in a head-to-head comparison test (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=113).

6 SPEED Z
06-21-10, 02:30 PM
Yea they are different, those of u with the Sumi's have u ever had them in the snow? I don't really drive it in the snow, but if i had to the Goodyear might be the better tire.

AAIIIC
06-21-10, 05:02 PM
Yes, not surprisingly, the all-season tires will be better in the snow. Summer tires will get you nowhere in the snow.

shadybx7
06-21-10, 06:34 PM
i just put 275/40 Sumi's HTR Z III on the rear and so far love them vs my KDWs.. @ 139$ a tire its hard to beat.. one of my friends recommended them over PS2.. he says he switched over to these after a few sets of PS2s and never thought of going back..
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=93

i have a winter tire setup.. so these will only see warm weather..

thebigjimsho
06-21-10, 11:41 PM
i just put 275/40 Sumi's HTR Z III on the rear and so far love them vs my KDWs.. @ 139$ a tire its hard to beat.. one of my friends recommended them over PS2.. he says he switched over to these after a few sets of PS2s and never thought of going back..
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=93

i have a winter tire setup.. so these will only see warm weather..
Your friend can't be trusted...

Luvacatfight
06-25-10, 07:38 PM
Ok the V needs new tires, and I was looking at the Sumitomo's from Tire Rack. Car is just a driver, no track time, and the Goodyear Eagles are like only $32 more for the set vs the Sumi's, but have heard some not too pleasant things about the Goodyears, PS-2's are out of the question also. Just like to hear any good/bad things about the Goodyears.

Thanks

The Eagle RS-A's are awful in the rain aren't they? Like yours, mine is just a really fun daily driver. Thanks for your post. I too am looking for a good all-weather (preferably non run-flat) for when my 2005 needs tires. The only tire I'm certain I will not buy are the Goodyear Eagle RS-A EMT's. Thanks again.

AAIIIC
06-26-10, 08:06 AM
I too am looking for a good all-weather (preferably non run-flat) for when my 2005 needs tires.
Depending on what your budget is, here are 4 excellent all-season tires (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=119).

Cobrahunter
06-26-10, 08:30 AM
I do know my non-runflat Eagle F1's hook up wayyy better than the HTR-Z II's I had before.....if that helps any.

mcline86
07-27-10, 10:27 AM
anyone have any input on the Continental ExtremeContact (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=445YR8ECDWS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2007&autoModel=CTS-V&autoModClar=) from tire rack? my car will most likly be driviin all year round unless we get like 2 feet of snow here in MA. The tires arent that expensive and got best seller so theres gotta be ppl out there running em that can chime in.

EdmundGTP
07-27-10, 01:44 PM
What are you guys' thoughts on the goodyear F1 GS-2's? Those seem like almost a steal for stock replacement tire size. 129 ea on tirerack. For that price I almost have a hard time convincing myself NOT to buy them. At the very least I think it'd be a great inexpensive tire to use as a full size spare.

JimmyH
07-27-10, 03:18 PM
The Conti Extreme Contact are very good tires. I am not sure how good they would be on the V though. They are typically installed OEM on lesser sport sedans and sport coupes.

JD03Cobra
07-27-10, 05:22 PM
i just put 275/40 Sumi's HTR Z III on the rear and so far love them vs my KDWs.. @ 139$ a tire its hard to beat..

Do you have a picture of these mounted on the rear??? I'm curious to see how they look...I too have heard good things. Do they run wide or narrow at all?

xcaliber50
07-27-10, 05:45 PM
These are non-EMT tire. First thing I did was do the spare tire mod. EMT's are a complete waste IMHO.

If your like me and you just want a good tire for daily driver use with the occasional streetlight to streetlight acceleration run, then I heartally recommend the GoodYear Response Edge. They are very competivly priced, perform well and to my knowledge are the only tire in this price range that will fit the V with a 50k tire wear warrenty. I've put 25K on mine so far and I am very happy with them.

My local Goodyear shop even price matched Tirerack "out-the-door" so there was no waiting.

Here the link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+ResponsEdge&partnum=445YR8REXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2007&autoModel=CTS-V&autoModClar=

JimmyH
07-27-10, 07:31 PM
When I ditched the run-flat tires, the ride of the CTS-V vastly improved. No more bone-jarring impacts over bumps. If they are going to continue offering EMT tires, they need to figure out a way to make them without rock-solid sidewalls.

Koooop
07-28-10, 12:52 AM
Hankook Ventus V12 evo.

I can't speak for snow, but these things are a great buy and are f___king GREAT tires! Wet, they hook up better than the PS2, dry they are better the the GSD3 and waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy cheaper than the Supercars, GSD3 or the PS2. The Ventus V12's are quiet, handle great, cheap... No point in mentioning the Dunlop Direzza DZ101, those just suck azz.

I took the risk and bought these, I am more than very pleased.

thebigjimsho
07-28-10, 11:14 AM
Don't forget you are getting non-EMT tires for a heavier, narrow rimmed car. Those sidewalls better be quality...

Koooop
07-29-10, 03:30 AM
EMT=Cement sidewall. That and the short life span and insane high price are my only complaints about the supercars. I guess I could complain about the way they didn't make a peep in a corner until you've gone waaaaay past the limit.

JimmyH
07-29-10, 03:58 PM
Their dry handling was indeed out of this world. On relatively smooth pavement. I never got on a track, but I can only imagine the F1 supercar is just phenomenal on a track.

Out in the real world though, unless you are on pretty smooth, dry pavement, they are not very good.