: 80-92 RWD 2 4 door brougham bumper removal

caddy1983
06-21-10, 03:43 AM
What is the simplest way to remove the rear bumper? I will be replacing my rear quarter panel fillers soon. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

SCU187
06-26-10, 02:31 AM
Take off the 8 bolts and remember to hold up the bumper to remove the tail light sockets

gillianwhittaker@xtr
06-26-10, 02:43 AM
x2 --remove the 8 bolts .Whilst you have it /them off check inside the bumpers for rust --you can`t see it without bumper removal. I hope you have none but....
mike

MudAnt
06-26-10, 03:30 AM
Glad to hear it's as simple as I thought, I'm going to be taking mine off soon to sand out any rust and repaint it.

1980coupe
06-29-10, 01:06 AM
What is the simplest way to remove the rear bumper? I will be replacing my rear quarter panel fillers soon. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

you dont have to remove the entire bumper for this. I just simply removed the bezel trim, taillight, and harness and had access to the bolts. This was when I purchased those aftermartket fillers to test fit them and did not like them so on went the cracked ones. But I got me some OG ones in Phoenix while heading to Cali. Will be doing the same thing again.

sven914
06-29-10, 02:11 AM
So if it's just 8 bolts, maybe the junkyard can't screw it up and I've been putting it off for nothing. But with my luck, the bolts are ceased and they'll have to use the acetylene.

A word of advice though, count the shims when you take the bumper off. You need to put the same number back on each side or else it will be crooked.

robb257731
06-30-10, 10:21 AM
So if it's just 8 bolts, maybe the junkyard can't screw it up and I've been putting it off for nothing. But with my luck, the bolts are ceased and they'll have to use the acetylene.

A word of advice though, count the shims when you take the bumper off. You need to put the same number back on each side or else it will be crooked.

I have that problem on my 91. When the bodyshop repaired a smacked rear quarter panel (before I bought it) they clearly didn't put the shims back properly, and there's a huge gap. I've been hesitant to try to fix it myself for fear of completely messing it up and not being able to put it back properly.

Post some pics if you go ahead with it!

gillianwhittaker@xtr
07-04-10, 04:23 AM
I have that problem on my 91. When the bodyshop repaired a smacked rear quarter panel (before I bought it) they clearly didn't put the shims back properly, and there's a huge gap. I've been hesitant to try to fix it myself for fear of completely messing it up and not being able to put it back properly.

Post some pics if you go ahead with it!

They may have put some from one side onto the opposite side or left some out .
Nothing technical about it . Play around with trying to get the outside look even /uniform. It may be that you are minus some .Sort of thing I would imagine you could get more of from a junk yard,.
mike

Angry Matt
07-04-10, 09:10 AM
Do yourself a favor and get someone to help you shim it. One person shims and the other one stands next to the car and directs. It's way easier that way. Sometimes if you add too much to one side, it throws off the other side and it's much easier to not have to climb out and look every few seconds.

csbuckn
07-04-10, 10:35 AM
The bumper doesn't have to come off to shim it correctly. The shims just slide out when you loosen the bolts.

robb257731
07-04-10, 11:34 AM
The bumper doesn't have to come off to shim it correctly. The shims just slide out when you loosen the bolts.

Awesome. Thanks! When I read about it in the FSM it implied I had to take the bumper right off.