: Slow shifting in DSC mode (auto trans)

MT14R
06-20-10, 02:51 PM
I'm new to this site and I own a 2010 CTS-V automatic. In the DSC (manual) mode, it takes 0.5-1 sec from the time I press the up-shift button (or push up on the stick) until the car actually up-shifts. When the up-shift occurs, it is pretty quick (as fast as any other auto I've driven), but the 1 second delay causes me to constantly hit the rev limiter if I manually shift 1st or 2nd gear while accelerating aggressively. Is this normal? Do any of you notice this delay?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Marc

neuronbob
06-20-10, 05:00 PM
Completely "normal". No known fixes outside of the W4M tune.

snzuloz
06-20-10, 05:58 PM
Definately agree that's normal, i just leave mine in manual and let it do the shifting, shifts are firmer and never hits the limiter. Getting a tune would be the best thing overall to eliminate that issue.

Prof
06-20-10, 07:32 PM
The delay is the same in mine...it is faster than the paddle...but there is the distinct delay.

nradcad
06-20-10, 07:35 PM
*yawn* - yep, add it to the list of things that will annoy you about this car.

mpouls1
06-20-10, 07:38 PM
Tried the paddle shifter out the first day and was disappointed. I think they were an afterthought.

CadV
06-20-10, 07:51 PM
I think it is the torque converter to be honest. When a custom torque converter was installed in my car all the sluggish problems went away.

cbloveday
06-21-10, 12:10 AM
I think it is the torque converter to be honest. When a custom torque converter was installed in my car all the sluggish problems went away.

Which converter did you go with?

baabootoo
06-21-10, 01:33 AM
Definately agree that's normal, i just leave mine in manual and let it do the shifting, shifts are firmer and never hits the limiter. Getting a tune would be the best thing overall to eliminate that issue.

So it will shift on it's own in Manual then? If so, I'm guessing that we still have to downshift then? I finally had mine on a track yesterday and am still working out which mode to leave it in. I wasn't as impressed with it in Sport Mode as I thought I'd be like I was with the G8 GT in Sport.

snzuloz
06-21-10, 11:40 AM
Yes the car will shift on it's own if in manual mode with the shifter in the center position, downshifting appears to work the same, not sure how aggresively it downshifts though (to what extent it brings the rpm too). Will have to go try that out for myself when i get a chance. Definately a difference in the times at the strip though between the auto setting and manual mode.

wait4me
06-21-10, 11:47 AM
It isnt the converter. It is the commanded shift times of .600 or higher depending on the gear. I move mine to .2 on some that is why mine feels quicker. The converter is almost always locked up while you are in manual mode. It makes it so it dont feel sloppy.

CadV what you are probably seeing is, after they put in the aftermarket converter, they had to modify the shift times down some to make it feel better on the shifts. IF not it will drag on for ever on the 1->2 shift. while lockup isnt on.

Another thing that i have seen / noticed is, if you floor the car in normal mode when you have a converter, you can see that it feels alot more mushy, as the converter isnt locked up as much, Then put it in sport mode and it is alot more firm, is because the converter is at a higher on duty cycle.

baabootoo
06-21-10, 01:49 PM
Yes the car will shift on it's own if in manual mode with the shifter in the center position, downshifting appears to work the same, not sure how aggresively it downshifts though (to what extent it brings the rpm too). Will have to go try that out for myself when i get a chance. Definately a difference in the times at the strip though between the auto setting and manual mode.

You're talking the Mnaul mode and not the Sport mode? I thought that in Manual, only we could shift it, but Sport still did it for us.

DiamondWhtV
06-21-10, 04:19 PM
You're talking the Mnaul mode and not the Sport mode? I thought that in Manual, only we could shift it, but Sport still did it for us.

That's my limited experience so far. Manual mode won't upshift until I press the shifter/paddle, but will downshift automatically all the way down to 2nd gear when coming to a stop. In Sport mode, it upshifts and downshifts by itself and is firmer and will always start off in 1st gear.

GMX322V S/C
06-21-10, 05:39 PM
Yes, as soon as you move the lever to the right, you're in Sport Mode, where you'll start off in 1st and all shifts will be automatic. As soon as you upshift or downshift manually, all command authority is given to you--except when you come to a stop it downshift to 2nd and it also won't downshift if it would cause an overrev condition.

snzuloz
06-21-10, 08:19 PM

Yes, as soon as you move the lever to the right, you're in Sport Mode, where you'll start off in 1st and all shifts will be automatic. As soon as you upshift or downshift manually, all command authority is given to you--except when you come to a stop it downshift to 2nd and it also won't downshift if it would cause an overrev condition.

Sorry for the confusion, this is exactly what i meant by sport mode vs manual, i've found it perfect just leaving it in sport vs trying to time it right for shifts.

MT14R
06-21-10, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Very informative. I can't believe with all the technology we have today that GM couldn't design the DSC mode to shift within 0.1 sec of receiving driver input. :annoyed: I mean Ferrari can do it! ;)

thebigjimsho
06-21-10, 11:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Very informative. I can't believe with all the technology we have today that GM couldn't design the DSC mode to shift within 0.1 sec of receiving driver input. :annoyed: I mean Ferrari can do it! ;)Umm, Ferraris don't have torque converters...

CadV
06-22-10, 09:45 PM
CadV what you are probably seeing is, after they put in the aftermarket converter, they had to modify the shift times down some to make it feel better on the shifts. IF not it will drag on for ever on the 1->2 shift. while lockup isnt on.

No shift times were adjusted so we could get a baseline before we started tweaking.