: So it rained today...and...

The-Dullahan
06-20-10, 01:39 AM
And after our large thunderstorm, I left work and got into the car my seat was wet. After checking along the top and determining where the water dripped from, and that it wasn't seeping out anyplace else, also checking the rest of the interior for wet spots, I determined that it is only the one spot, above the left corner of my seat.

Best way to solve?

If it isn't one thing, it's ten others.

greencadillacmatt
06-20-10, 03:24 AM
My DeVille does that every once in a while. Only in VERY hard rains. I've never been able to find the leak either. Anybody have any ideas? :hmm:

pompste
06-20-10, 04:04 AM
Do either of you have vinyl tops?

The-Dullahan
06-20-10, 11:02 AM
Do either of you have vinyl tops?

Naturally.

pompste
06-20-10, 12:27 PM
Naturally.

I recently had a major water leak on my '78 Deville AFTER getting a brand new windshield installed.The original 32 year old glass was pitted and delaminating.While getting it replaced the installer noticed some rust on the metal ridge the glass rests on.I had him remove the loose rust and apply some rust retardant before applying the windshield adhesive.
After the very first heavy rain the car was in,it began leaking water on my steering wheel and my drivers seat.Took it back and they removed the molding around the windshield and applied another thick bead of adhesive around the entire perimeter of the glass.So far so good-no more leaks.
It could be you both may have some rusted areas where the windshield rests on the metal lip under the chrome molding that surrounds it----allowing water to leak in.
I had the exact same problem on my '95 Deville a few years back.The installer, again,laid down a thick bead of adhesive around the entire perimeter of the glass under the molding----and no leaks since.
You both may want to have a windshield installer run a "pressure check" on your windshields----it finds any openings/gaps with a high blast of air.If any are found,they can fill the gaps with adhesive.

csbuckn
06-20-10, 01:20 PM
One place mine leaks is from the weatherstripping on the door. It's pretty ate up. Gets on the seat and armrest

Stingroo
06-20-10, 01:21 PM
So that's Matt's solution.

The Dullahan will use a far more ridiculous yet somehow equally effective method of repair. Duct tape, perhaps?

greencadillacmatt
06-20-10, 03:03 PM
Thanks pompste. I had no idea that they could "pressure-check" the windshield. That sounds far better and easier than them removing the glass and re-sealing it. Awesome! :)

The-Dullahan
06-20-10, 08:57 PM
So that's Matt's solution.

The Dullahan will use a far more ridiculous yet somehow equally effective method of repair. Duct tape, perhaps?

I really hate Duct Tape. Classic Redneck treatment. One does not simply put Duct Tape on a Cadillac (Except that one time I had to block water out of my teil light during the rain, because some moron backed into my car, but that was only for a few days before I hit up the bodyshop.

My lack of funding does not lead to Red-Neckery, so I must take the obvious recourse and have one of my minions perch atop my roof with an umbrella every time it rains.

That or a pressure check is in order. The new Vinyl/paint/body rust/engine/transmission will have to wait.

Stingroo
06-20-10, 08:58 PM
I hear Clermont is actually full of rednecks.

Confirm/deny?

The-Dullahan
06-20-10, 09:06 PM
I hear Clermont is actually full of rednecks.

Confirm/deny?

Depending upon exactly what part of it you live in. Historic Clermont is ancient houses and rich people (Remember those photos of that little sleepy town Oldsmobile Wagon? The whole town looks like that) and the part I live in is right where highway 27 meets US 192, so everyone there is a tourist. All of that space between is owned by somebody, and there must be Rednecks about there (and a lot from Polk County, right next door) because I see their lifted pick-up trucks everywhere, There is even a family that owned so much open land they donated it to the State to use as a State Park and they live inside the park in a tin-roof shack. One time while shopping around for possible shelving units for 200 gallon tanks, I found all these CLASSIC rednecks at Officemax. Turns out the Officemax shared a lot with a Petsmart and it was shot day for all the doggies. They must live SOMEPLACE, but who knows where. I eventually settled on that ACE hardware place from the commercials on television and WOW...This must be where the Rednecks come from. Bonus points for me though, because while picking up my steel shelving unit, the entire staff was scared to go outside because there was a Hearse in the parking lot and one of the local Funeral Homes is directly across the street from them. Good times.

Also, I searched about these Window Installers and only in Florida would you get the advertisement that a place gives a:

"FREE Large Pizza on EVER Window Installation!"

OH, and about Rednecks.

Those Chargers that are everywhere. I saw a Dukes of Hazzard R/T today.

77CDV
06-20-10, 09:38 PM
Duct tape! It's not just for body work anymore! :D

The-Dullahan
06-20-10, 11:44 PM
Duct tape! It's not just for body work anymore! :D

Saw a Duct-Tape-Plane once, after a run-in with some North American Grizzlies ripped the original plane to pieces. Apparently she worked great.

:tisk:Duct Tape is STILL not for Cadillacs.

pompste
06-21-10, 12:47 AM
Thanks pompste. I had no idea that they could "pressure-check" the windshield. That sounds far better and easier than them removing the glass and re-sealing it. Awesome! :)

You`re welcome,dude! The pressure checks/added adhesive fixed the water leaks on both my Deville`s.Some places might call it a "water leak test"---they do the test for free if they are reputable.

The-Dullahan
06-21-10, 01:07 AM
they do the test for free if they are reputable.

Groovy.

That's one of my favourite words.

greencadillacmatt
06-21-10, 02:55 AM
^Groovy or Free? ;)

outsider
06-21-10, 09:28 AM
to fix the door seal I use some house weather stripping for winterizing your house and some black electric tape. worked great on my 87. No more leaks and it looks stock at a glance.

The-Dullahan
06-21-10, 04:05 PM
^Groovy or Free? ;)

Both actually, but I meant FREE. I know, I've been told a thousand times since moving to the south that I'm "Not allowed to say Groovy" because I wasn't actually alive in the seventies, but since all those little Jacobite towns in Pennsylvania are 50 years behind-the-times, it really just means I am ADVANCED, because the seventies haven't found their way up there yet.

Yeah, if your weatherstripping is purged in the middle, that black, extra-gooey foam caulk works great to seal it all up and when it dries, depending on how well you applied it, it won't really be noticeable unless somebody goes snooping around between your door and the weatherstripping attached to it.

abdullahone
06-21-10, 05:19 PM
The new Vinyl/paint/body rust/engine/transmission will have to wait.

I might even add this to my signature. LOVE IT...

The-Dullahan
06-21-10, 06:43 PM
I might even add this to my signature. LOVE IT...

True though. See in FL, where it rains as often as it DOESN'T and often rains sideways, a windshield that ISN'T leaking is more important than a shiny paintjob or an engine swap for a big block.