: I had a productive Father's Day weekend with Wait4me

neuronbob
06-19-10, 10:11 PM
I just wanted to pass on thanks to Jesse and his staff today. I made the 3 1/2 hour drive from Cleveland to Indiana and back today.

I had the KPE intake installed today, along with an 2.55" upper/snout pulley and isolator.

The intake was installed first. for the record, my KPE sticker is on correctly. As soon as it was installed, any application of boost was clearly and loudly heard....just the way it should be. :) The intake did not lean out my A/F and so no adjustments to the max tune were required for that. The sound and the clean install are good enough for me.

After taking a ride in Jesse's V, it wasn't hard to convince me to do the upper pulley, a very quick install. With the upper pulley AND intake, I made 544 whp/505 lb ft on Jesse's Mustang dyno with max tune modified for the pulley after an best pre-mod run of 469/464. The initial numbers could be a little funny due to heat soak. We had one heat-soaked run of 443/446, which is what will be on the dyno sheet once I post it. Of note is that the best pre-mod run is comparable to the 471 whp I got on a local Dynojet last September. I know different dyno brands, and even different dyno machines of the same brand give different results, and so I was happy with the consistency.

I don't have the isolator rattle, but while the guys were playing with the supercharger, I figured that I might as well switch it out so I don't have to worry about the rattle down the line.

I got an immediate mileage benefit with these mods. On the drive out, my mileage at 80 mph (average speed 72.6 mpg) was 17.4. This is with the max tune only. With the mods and tune, on the way back, same speed range, much hotter (mid-high 80's), mpg was 20. I'm quite sure I would have been in the 23-24 mpg range if I'd kept it to 65 mph. VERY happy with this....I had to fill up about 40 miles before getting to Jesse's place on the way out....then just short of 1/4 tank used during the dynos....then I didn't need to fill up again until I was about 5 miles from home. I think I like the mileage benefit.

I'm very happy with these mods and I think I'm done for now.
The car pulls like CRAZY with the upper pulley when you get into boost.....and no craziness when not in boost.....great for rides with the wife. :eek:

So thanks, Jesse! You are indeed the man. :worship:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5168/img0770c.jpg

MReiland
06-19-10, 10:25 PM
:yup: Liken It.

AP24LA
06-19-10, 10:45 PM
Probably an obvious answer but ill ask anyway since I plan on doing this right away, does swapping the upper pulley void warranty or is that only the case on the lower? If so, is it possible to simply swap them before visiting the dealer or would it be complicated to swap back to stock? Can you drive it with the tune for the new pulley installed if you were to install the stock pulley before going to the dealer? Any danger in changing the upper pulley or do you just start getting into the danger zone when you start with the bottom? I would assume it is the latter since it seems that most go with the upper only. Sorry for all the questions :hitstick:

cbloveday
06-19-10, 11:06 PM
Upper pulley is not easily swapped More or less Permanent.

cbloveday
06-19-10, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=anonfrank;2279883].
I'm very happy with these mods and I think I'm done for now.

You are never done. How you got out of there with just the pulley swap is a wonder. ;)

neuronbob
06-19-10, 11:23 PM
AP24LA, if the engine blows due to the mods (it won't), I am SOL as far as drivetrain warranty. You pay to play.

I asked about the upper and lower pulleys prior to making a choice today. The upper pulley is easier to switch out but is permanent. I watched the guys do the pulley swap and they made it look really easy, it took a bit more than 30 minutes to do it. The pulley used looks similar to stock, so It'd take a close inspection to tell the difference. The lower pulley is easier to switch back to stock but is a much harder install.

Curtis, you are probably right. I fully expect to be back there next year for more, but will gradually do things as I learn more about the LSA.

shade
06-19-10, 11:25 PM
Why did you swap the upper vs lower? Isnt the lower easier and like AP asked what about taking it into the dealer....
Damn nice increase in power for such small changes

Also has there been a final consensus about making a tune to the computer and if it is traceable by the dealer?

RapidRob
06-19-10, 11:29 PM
Congrats! Did you stick with the filter that came with CAI? Did Jesse think it was big enough, etc.?

Thanks.

Rob

AP24LA
06-19-10, 11:55 PM
haha wtf? one is easier to swap but harder to return to stock, and the other is harder to swap but easier to go back to stock lol? My brain hurts after reading that one. I figured that was the answer I would get as far as the warranty goes. What were the determining factors for you deciding between upper and lower if you dont mind me asking?

CadV
06-20-10, 01:23 AM
haha wtf? one is easier to swap but harder to return to stock, and the other is harder to swap but easier to go back to stock lol? My brain hurts after reading that one. I figured that was the answer I would get as far as the warranty goes. What were the determining factors for you deciding between upper and lower if you dont mind me asking?

Blower pulley - much more assessable (take the snout off the blower) so easier to get too, requires a press and not easy to install outside of a performance shop, visible to a dealer if they know what they are looking for. Permanent and the only way to get a replacement is to buy another blower (Roughly $2,000) from GM. The engine cover does a nice job of covering the blower pulley up. Porting the snout will net you nice gains.

Crank pulley - Requires you to lift the car up to install, but concealed from the dealer because of the radiator fans/hoses etc. Completely adjustable 8.5", 9.1", and 9.55" ring sizes. You can remove and put the stock balancer back on.

Most people go with the crank.

AP24LA
06-20-10, 03:09 AM
Blower pulley - much more assessable (take the snout off the blower) so easier to get too, requires a press and not easy to install outside of a performance shop, visible to a dealer if they know what they are looking for. Permanent and the only way to get a replacement is to buy another blower (Roughly $2,000) from GM. The engine cover does a nice job of covering the blower pulley up. Porting the snout will net you nice gains.

Crank pulley - Requires you to lift the car up to install, but concealed from the dealer because of the radiator fans/hoses etc. Completely adjustable 8.5", 9.1", and 9.55" ring sizes. You can remove and put the stock balancer back on.

Most people go with the crank.

ok, that makes sense. Regardless of how "visible" the pulley is cant the dealer tell if there have been changes made anyway because of the tune?

*sorry to the op, didn't mean to thread jack*

CadV
06-20-10, 03:53 AM
ok, that makes sense. Regardless of how "visible" the pulley is cant the dealer tell if there have been changes made anyway because of the tune?

Yep. if your worried about warranty I wouldn't do anything that you can't go back to stock.

MReiland
06-20-10, 08:20 AM

If you are worried about the warranty on your car, keep it stock, including the tune. You never know exactly the conditions that would require bringing it into the dealer. Ie, many moons ago I had a modified '97 Silverado that one day I exploded the differential on, it had to go from the roadside right to the dealer, there wasn't any time to bring it home remove any mods, hope they didn't leave telltales etc..

Back to the original thread, and thanks Anonfrank for taking the right attitude on modifying :worship:

translux
06-20-10, 10:50 AM
Isn there any performance difference between upper and lower?
And don't some do both?
I'm sure this has been covered 100 times but figured I'd ask and see what the current thoughts are on this.

Ross L
06-20-10, 11:58 AM
Good information! Soooo, the intake went in and no changes were made to the W4M max tune. Did you have a modified stock airbox before? Was the 469hp "stock"? Thanks for the info!

AP24LA
06-20-10, 02:38 PM
If you are worried about the warranty on your car, keep it stock, including the tune. You never know exactly the conditions that would require bringing it into the dealer. Ie, many moons ago I had a modified '97 Silverado that one day I exploded the differential on, it had to go from the roadside right to the dealer, there wasn't any time to bring it home remove any mods, hope they didn't leave telltales etc..

Back to the original thread, and thanks Anonfrank for taking the right attitude on modifying :worship:

I wouldn't say the i'm "worried" about it, more so just curious as to our options. At the end of the day my car will be pretty heavily modified and ill keep my fingers crossed as far as any damage goes. Now back to the OP, sorry again.

neuronbob
06-20-10, 03:55 PM
Good information! Soooo, the intake went in and no changes were made to the W4M max tune. Did you have a modified stock airbox before? Was the 469hp "stock"? Thanks for the info!

I was completely and totally stock other than the W4M max tune and the Corsa axleback exhaust before yesterday.

cbloveday
06-20-10, 04:09 PM
Relese the Cracken/Cadzilla

Whenever the Cracken/Cadzilla gets angered by other sport sedans, or lesser vehicles, he unleashes his power, with a thunderous supercharger whine and casts a hurricane of tire shredding horsepower at his challenger.

Congrats and enjoy!!!!!

PhxTriode
06-22-10, 02:47 PM
Can anyone provide some insight on why the torque didn't go up proportionate to horsepower on what started as equal?

lavaman
06-22-10, 05:34 PM
OH NO!!! An increase in fuel mileage to help justify another mod! Now thats what I needed to hear. :suspense: