: Front Tire fade

egyptianzeus
06-19-10, 07:26 PM
hey guys, I noticed today that my front tires are fading faster than my rear, is that normal? I've taken my car twice for alignment....I thought that the rear's were supposed to fade much earlier than the front...any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

baabootoo
06-22-10, 12:56 AM
By "fade", I'm guessing you mean wear? Yes, the fronts should outlast the rears easy. Where exactly are they wearing? Evenly, unevenly, etc.

mbshoe
06-22-10, 03:10 AM
Coincidentally I noticed today that the front tires need replacing. I replaced the original set at around 15000, and no question the fronts wore more than the rears. I don't do burnouts, and I did a lot of spirited driving with high lateral g forces whenever I could. I assumed hanging on in many near 1-G turns took a toll on the fronts.

But, on this second set, with less than 15000 on them, there's no question the inside of the front tires are wearing much too quickly compared to the outside or even the center. I dread taking the car in and asking Cadillac to look at the alignment. They're 90 minutes away, and the dealer horror stories on this forum almost make me want to leave things as they are and just burn money on tires than deal with Cadillac.

Is the alignment on this beast more than a competent independent shop can handle?

GMX322V S/C
06-22-10, 04:14 AM
Any competent shop that can do 4-wheel independent suspension alignments should be able to align our cars. Just make sure they use the CTS "FE4" suspension settings, which is for the CTS-V. If they go "FE-wha?" go elsewhere.

MReiland
06-22-10, 07:06 AM
On a side note, something I learned while at a dealer outreach program a few weeks ago in PA is that the dealers now have a program where they will match the price on tires to any of the local shops. I would have never even considered going to a dealer for tires over somewhere like Discount Tire, NTB, or Belle Tire but after hearing that I would at least put them in the rotation to check out now. (I believe it is a 30 day price match guarantee, if you get them over the internet it has to include shipping)

cbloveday
06-22-10, 07:11 AM
It is true! :)

Naperville Cadillac matched the price I found for Sottos on Tire Rack November of last year!

LFTW8S
06-22-10, 10:50 AM
hey guys, I noticed today that my front tires are fading faster than my rear, is that normal? I've taken my car twice for alignment....I thought that the rear's were supposed to fade much earlier than the front...any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Your tires are wearng as they should and the alignment sounds correct. For the car to handle the way it does...the toe/camber must be set to specs that as a result causes the inside of the tire to wear ealry. I had a E55 AMG that destoryed the inside of the front tires...AMG tech says he could change the set-up for the tires to wear evenly but the car would handle like crap.

Caroutisine
06-22-10, 12:55 PM
I always thought the fronts wear faster under normal use because that where you do the steering and most of the braking regardless of the drive wheels?

lavaman
06-22-10, 02:15 PM
Wheel alignment, inflation pressure, tire rotation and driver input all case tires to wear differently.

If alignment and inflation are correct and the car is driven the way most daily drivers are driven the front tires will wear prior to the rears. It all depends on the driver. If you track it or drive it like your at the track... all bets are off.

Weather or not you use the dealer or a competent tire shop for your alignment they should be able to provide you with a print out of the specs. On it you'll find: the desired angles/measurements and a before/after reading of your car.

HTH

Doug

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-22-10, 05:18 PM
Which pedal are you harder on? :D

My front tires get torn up the worst on my '04. In particular the driver's side front, but that's because all the hard turns on the tracks around her are right handers.