: Any Previous Corvette Owners?

firefighter1
06-19-10, 05:19 PM
Hey,
My name is Jon and I'm new to the forums. I wanted to ask if there are any previous Corvette owners who went the V way. Are you happy with your choice? I currently own a 05 C6, but have really gotten the CTS-V itch lately. I had the chance to drive an 04 and was really impressed. I also love the practicality of it with the features, 4 doors and stealth factor. I've been using my C6 as a daily driver since the day I bought it, which was about 5 months ago and as much as I love the car, it gets it's fair share of attention, but at times it gets old, especially if I have to park it certain places. I'm sure the V is much better for DD duties. Anyway, thanks for any feedback! Great forum here! Also, for the record, no I can't have both, ha, ha!!!:)

heavymetals
06-19-10, 05:37 PM
The only way to have the best of both worlds is to have both.

ahahnu
06-19-10, 06:12 PM
I wanted a Corvette. Went to the NYC auto show in '04 to see the new speciman. When walking through the Cadillac area I saw the V. Thought nothing of it, just said to myself, cool a CTS with an LS6. Still wanted the Vette. Less then two months later I saw a V on the street. Cor-who?

it gets it's fair share of attention, but at times it gets old, especially if I have to park it certain places.This doesn't change because its a CTS. You are comtemplating a V. It's a 4 door corvette. There was even a thread on here one time about where people park their cars....

jrosevear
06-19-10, 06:58 PM
I had a 1990 ZR-1, sold several years ago when my kids arrived. Gotta say I love my V a lot more than I loved that ZR, and my Vette was a really nice, low-miles example. But C4s are kind of a pain in the ass.

I'll have another one eventually, though. I've been keeping an eye on used C6 Z06 prices... not sure yet whether I want to grab one or wait a bit for ZR1 prices to come down some, but I will probably add a Vette of some kind to the garage sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Gary Wells
06-19-10, 07:34 PM
I would hate to guess the statistics on how many of this forum is either a current or past vette owner, a current or past Buick Grand national. I consider myself fortunate: I am on my 2nd vette, a '02 C5Z06, my current daily driver, my 5th turbo Buick, a pristine '87 Turbo-t with only 27k on the odometer, a strictly weekend toy, and a '09 thunder grey CTS-V, bought a year ago and only 1800 miles on the clock, another (but an alternate) weekend toy. I might live in a tent with an enclosed 3 car "car port", but I have 2 1/2 pretty nice toys. You will not regret buying a '09 & up CTS-V, and if not a nice '04-'07 V1 CTS-V. It may not be a Lambo, but it sure beats a Greyhound.

heavymetals
06-19-10, 09:01 PM
Cts-v = hot rod

z06 = sports car

Luvacatfight
06-19-10, 09:41 PM
Former C4 Corvette owner here (a 1995 LT-1 automatic). Currently have a 2005 CTS-V. The CTS-V is superior in every way except gas mileage. The best thing about the hotrod Cadillac vs any Corvette is that it's invisible to the police. :) Hope this helps?

Oh5V
06-19-10, 11:25 PM
Its not a vette, but my other main car is an '01 Camaro SS('03 zo6 crate engine, big cam and all bolt ons... 425rwhp) BUT i love my V so much more even though its not as fast, yet. (I have a 79 corvette too but still in the project stage)
The camaro being a 2dr wasnt very practical and more of a chore to drive than the V. Ive since put the SS up for sale.
Now to make the V faster...

allante sd
06-20-10, 12:07 AM
I've had a few Vettes. I can say the V is way better than anything up to 1990. From 1990 thru 1996, the V is better. Once you get to the C5 Vettes, it's a toss up. I would gladly give up the '73, '74 and the '78 for a V. The '92 LT1 and '96 LT4, we might have to discuss a little there. The '01 convertible, I miss that car and I think it's very comparable to the V in many ways. Power, comfort and appeal. I will admit the C5 got way better gas mileage than the '05 V I have now. I would gladly have another Vette in my garage, probably a '67 coupe this time though.

0AT E03
06-20-10, 01:51 AM
I have a 2008 Corvette and I am looking to pick up a CTS-V. I wouldn't trade the Vette for one though.

rand49er
06-20-10, 05:03 PM
How long ago are we allowed to go back?

Had a '69 350cid/350hp 4-spd roadster, then sold it in early '74 for money to go back to grad school.

Oh, the memories ... :cloud9:

maxspeed96ct
06-20-10, 05:10 PM
You have to decide what you want, I have a few friends that have vettes, and the V has the same motor but is a totaly diffrent car.

If you want a race car then get a vette, If you want fast sedan the V is the perfect choice.

AG'S-V
06-20-10, 08:14 PM
I came from a F250...I just up and saw the light one day :)

ahahnu
06-20-10, 10:49 PM
If loving the Lord is wrong, I don't want to be right.

cvettr/cts-v
06-21-10, 12:04 PM
Depends on what you want. You want immediate attention good or bad stay with the vette. You want to fly under the radar get the v as most probably 90percent of people just think it is just another cts like the 20 others they have seen that day. The V is somewhat too stealthy at times. I have some great friends that I have made over the years in the Corvette club. It is hard to find people with V's so the club enviroment has to be online and at a few regional area meets / trackdays. So depends on what you want from your car as to which way to go. Both are a blast to own and drive and you'll meet some great people either way just with the Caddy it will probably be more online than in person.

50 4Ever
06-21-10, 02:09 PM
I have owned Corvettes since 1979, cuttently I have a 2008 Z06 with 545 rwhp. In December 2005 I bought a used 2005 CTS-V, currently have a 2007 V. I use the V as a DD and take the Z06 on long trips. I love both cars and would not consider getting rid of one. The gas mileage on the Z06 is better than the V (on the highway), but it will only get about 5 mpg on the track...

I have tracked both the Corvettes and the 2005 V, had a blast with both types of cars.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/lscorkscrewsig.jpg http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/08%20427/410k.jpg

bpitas
06-21-10, 06:08 PM
I had a '99 C5 (Z51 MN6), and I got rid of it when I had my second kid. I still think the C5 was the best car I've ever owned, but it's really really close. The '04 V is much more practical, even though it can't fit as much in the trunk as a C5 can under the hatch. One thing that surprised me alot is that the V, stock-for-stock, was within 1 mph in the quarter to my C5 with a cold air intake (V=109.9mph, C5=110.3mph). The V can't launch to save it's life, but once it's moving, it *is* pretty damned fast. I've got the K-sport kit in my car, and so the V actually pulls more G's than my C5 did, but that's not to say it would be faster around the track. I've never had my V on a road course, so I don't know either way, but it doesn't feel like it would be nearly as nimble or neutral even though the G-meter reads higher. With the stock (non-FG2) suspension it seemed nowhere near as planted as the Z51, but I've never driven in an FG2, so maybe that's alot better.
They didn't have Nav in the C5, or Satellite radio, so I would definitely miss that if I went back to a C5 - I use both of those every day - but there was definitely something really cool about taking the roof off the C5 and cruising around, and the V will never match that! Plus one option that I absolutely loved was the heads up display - I really wish that was available in the first generation V!

Ive's V
06-22-10, 01:01 AM
I've got my 91 Vette still and it has it's place in the universe along with the V. I love them both.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/Ivestoy2/My%20other%20cars/vette1.jpg

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/Ivestoy2/Cadillac%20pictures/theVwithnewwheels.jpg

mikeam
06-22-10, 08:55 AM
Still have my 2000 vert, orig. owner. Got the V in Sept last year. Drive the V most of the time, very enjoyable car to drive. Vette goes out on back country and mountain roads.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1624/p1010129small.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/p1010129small.jpg/)

BeastMaster
06-22-10, 11:15 AM
I sold my 05 CTS-V and bought a 08 Z06. After 5 rear ends I gave up on the CTS-V. I won't say I don't miss it and wouldn't mind having a 10 CTS-V as a daily driver but for pure joy - its the Z06 (and no gas gusler tax).

ahahnu
06-22-10, 06:18 PM
Beast, you going to Vday?

Last year his Z06 served double duty while he and his son ran it back to back in beginner and intermediate classes. I remember you passing me on the straight before turn 10, by the time I got to the front straight, you were gone.

Junior1
06-22-10, 11:03 PM
Beast, you going to Vday?

Last year his Z06 served double duty while he and his son ran it back to back in beginner and intermediate classes. I remember you passing me on the straight before turn 10, by the time I got to the front straight, you were gone.

yep, they're both coming again...

Notgrampas
06-24-10, 08:40 AM
What rand49er said, how long you want to go back? I restored a '66 Vette many moons ago, before the CTS-V was even a twinkle in a designer's eye. No comparison, a V will run circles around a mid year Corvette, but not get nearly as many looks. Late model Vettes are a different story. Not to mention the difference in insurance cost between cars with the same motor, but one happens to have a second set of doors. Like what most have said, depends on your ultimate goal.

POS VETT
06-24-10, 10:43 AM
I have an '08 Z06 along with the '05 CTS-V :)

vinofyl
06-24-10, 04:32 PM
After owning a C-4 and a C-5, I purchased my '05 V and never looked back. It is absolutely the best DD I have ever owned(and I've owned 46 cars in my lifetime). The only negative is the previously mentioned gas mileage. The upside is look at all the horses you get for your money.

Roidz24
06-25-10, 09:48 PM
How long ago are we allowed to go back?

Had a '69 350cid/350hp 4-spd roadster, then sold it in early '74 for money to go back to grad school.

Oh, the memories ... :cloud9:

Pics? Oh wait...did they have cameras back then? :confused: Just playin, that was messed up, I know.