: Yikes! Tires rubbing and shredding!

dowlatij
06-19-10, 04:06 AM
More and more I am regretting lowering my car, I was doing a mountain cruise today with 2 other friends in the car and I was just rubbing like crazy. My tires are becoming shredded and I am stuck at this point. I am going to get the fenders rolled this week but why is it shredding like that? When i feel inside the fender there is a spot on each side that is pretty dang sharp you guys think this could be causing it?

Zo6PwRd
06-19-10, 04:41 AM
whats your setup? im lowered with H&Rs and have had 4 people in my car along with 30 lbs of cleaning supplies and 40 lbs worth of nitrous bottles in the spare tire well and didnt have ANY rubbing not even on the fender liner.......what size tires and springs? Maybe your shocks are shot?

AAIIIC
06-19-10, 10:37 AM
...but why is it shredding like that?
Since you haven't given us any pertinent information I don't know how you think any of us will be able to give you any advice. What wheels are you running? What tires (brand/model/sizes) are you running? How did you lower the car? What are the ride heights (measured from the center of the wheel to the fender lip with the car on a good level surface)?

dowlatij
06-19-10, 11:10 AM
Sorry! I am running stock rims with 275/30 in the rear. I did the Mightymouse drop and maybe dropped around an inch. I can still fit 2 fingers in my fender area. The only place it does this is in the rear around sharp turns and bad bumps. I am still on stock springs and I have the FG2 shocks.

repenttokyo
06-19-10, 12:07 PM
the mighty mouse mod isn't meant to lower your car - it's meant to prevent the stock shocks from pumping up after you have installed lowering springs.

deedubb
06-19-10, 02:37 PM
He's got MM mod with cut springs repenttokyo. We cut about 3/4 a coil off the rear. I still can't figure out why he is rubbing in the rear, my assumption is that its because he's running 275's perhaps unless something is off since his recent wreck. I'm running stock sizes in the rear and never rubbed when I had the MM mod with 1 coil cut springs. Now I have Eibachs and still no rubbing.

dowlatij
06-19-10, 03:13 PM
Well what is your tire size dave?

deedubb
06-19-10, 03:17 PM
Stockers: 245/45 i believe.

thebigjimsho
06-19-10, 04:44 PM
I've got no experience with cut coils and never will. Ever...

AAIIIC
06-19-10, 07:48 PM
275/30??

dowlatij
06-19-10, 08:00 PM
oops i meant 275/40 sry.

CancerJCC
06-20-10, 12:17 AM
I've got no experience with cut coils and never will. Ever...

:werd:

RADARB8
06-20-10, 12:17 AM
oops i meant 275/40 sry.

too tall for a rear tire :bigroll:and cutting the springs causes shredded tires.

AAIIIC
06-20-10, 12:27 AM
too tall for a rear tire :bigroll:
:confused: It's the same diameter as the stock 245/45, so I'm not sure what your comment is based on. I've got 285/35-19s on my Linea Corsas, and others are running 295/35s, and none of us have rubbing issues, even though many of us are lowered. (Note that those are larger diameter and wider than the stock 245/45-18s).

and cutting the springs causes shredded tires.
While you're explaining the first part of your comment, can you go ahead and explain this part, too? Again, there are plenty of us running lowered cars without rubbing issues. How does cutting the springs fundamentally alter the structure of the car in such a way that it would cause rubbing when installing coilovers or lowering springs doesn't? :confused:

The only thing I can figure, dowlatj, is that you're not running enough negative camber in the rear.

RADARB8
06-20-10, 01:06 AM
Sorry bout that..:banghead: Iv'e been looking for tires and have bought a few pair ever since i put the new trl. arms on..and i was thinking of freakin 315's or even 295's................i just put a 12" wide Fulda Caret 285-35-18 and they are only 25 1/2" tall and they don't stick out and can get 3 fingers in between top of fender and tire..I also have FG2 shocks with Eibachs..sorry for the misinformation on the previous post:oHey the 3rd. person in the rear seat would he take up 2 stools at the local pub, maybe that's the problem:D lol Anyway they should not rub...