: Help! Power antenna stuck up

MudAnt
06-18-10, 10:31 PM
This afternoon it was sunny and warm out, and I had a dangerous case of curiosity. I was thinking my power antenna just needed to be oiled and it would work, since it works if you pull it a bit. So, I reconnected the wire, pulled it up, put some grease on it, and manually pushed it up and down.

Later my dad came home and pushed it when the motor was moving in the 'up' direction (he thought it was trying to go down since it was already up) and it made a click. Now it won't go back down no matter which direction the motor is turning, and no matter how much I push or wiggle it.

So the question is, how hard is it to remove? I've heard it involves taking off the whole front fender, which appears to also involve removing the front door to access the bolts. :banghead:

If that's true, my plan is to just leave it up and enjoy my functional radio. Then, when someone inevitably bends the antenna, I'll just cut it off and fill the hole with silicone or something. Anyone have any better solutions? I'd rather find a way to get it to retract, because then I can fix it someday with that rebuilding kit.

Thanks

sven914
06-19-10, 12:19 AM
My antenna has been locked in the up position for the last two years and hasn't been bent. But to replace the antenna motor, you just have to remove the inner fender (the wheel well). I have the replacement procedure if you want it.

MudAnt
06-19-10, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I was reading this (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/146504-project-81-fwb-delegance-coupe.html#post1596895) post about the replacement procedure, doesn't seem that difficult. I just have to find a new one..

This should work, right? http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250652338143&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Also my neighbor's power antenna was stuck up and it got bent after a while (he has a 93 SDV, same color as mine!). Not sure if it occurred here though.

greencadillacmatt
06-19-10, 03:48 AM
My power antenna doesn't work on my DeVille. I'm just happy that it will stay in the upright position while driving and such. I'm lost without listening to my radio while driving. Just doesn't feel right.

outsider
06-19-10, 08:06 AM
mine's been up since I bought the car...too lazy to swap it out

pompste
06-19-10, 09:08 AM
My power antenna has been stuck 3/4 of the way up since i bought it 6 months ago.I still get great reception and since it`s it`s not fully extended,it is more firm and tougher for it to get bent.
It`s better for these to get stuck in the "up" position rather than "down" with no reception.

water walkin warrior
06-21-10, 10:48 AM
My antenna will go up, but not down as well. I don't listen to the radio. I use a cassette adapter with an MP3 player. I pushed the antenna down and unhooked it so it stays down. I think the antenna is just bent a little on the inside or something. For a while, it wouldn't even go down. I think it looks better down though.

MudAnt
06-23-10, 12:02 AM
Do the '88- '89 broughams use the same antenna as the '80-'87s? I've found a cable replacement kit (which is all I need) claiming to be only compatible with 88-89. Does anyone know if it will work with my '86 antenna?

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/GM/Cadillac/Brougham/Brougham%201988-1989.htm