: Help with this clunking noise....

ITSAV
06-18-10, 07:10 PM
....ok, so just driving around I have no issues at all, assuming the roads are good roads, but when i hit a bump or just real bad roads, the back makes a clunk pretty much every time......At first I was thinking maybe the shocks are bad? but than another friend thought that perhaps the Bushings on the Diff or control arms are bad?? I looked at them, and they didn't look overly bad or anything, on one of the control arm bushings it looks like it was cracked just a little bit, would this cause this sound? Is it possible that the shocks are bad? This sound doesn't sound like its coming out of the back center, it basically switches back and forth depending on if the bump was on the left or right.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, I plan to upgrade the suspension to coil-overs in the future, its just first I need to finish the cam upgrade, and wheels and tires, and want to stop this sound

thanks for the help

Chase

rand49er
06-18-10, 10:16 PM
Assuming you don't have a Ground Control kit installed, it could well be that you've got a shock that's toast.

Did you check all the bolts to make sure that everything is tight?

Stepside
06-18-10, 10:19 PM
Make sure your exhaust system is not loose before you get into the suspension and then, inspect all the bushings for wear and check all the bolts for tightness.

ITSAV
06-19-10, 12:10 PM
ok, thanks for the ideas, I'm getting the exhaust replaced in the next couple weeks, so we'll see what that does...and I'll replace the bushings at that time as well

silver02stang
06-20-10, 12:33 AM
I have, what sounds like, the exact same issue. My Corsa exhaust was fairly loose so I thought that was the issue. Tightened it down but the noise is still there. I installed Specter Werkes bushings and the noise is still there. Let me know what you find. I also had a similar clunk coming from the front end but that was due to some if the original design sway bar mounts on my Hotchkis sways and after updating those the front is at least quiet.

silver02stang
06-21-10, 08:43 PM
ITSAV.... any news? Mine was really noticeable today while driving with the windows up and the AC on. It's drivin me nuts. I'll keep you posted if I notice any difference when I install my new rear w/ the urethane bushing.

ITSAV
06-21-10, 09:05 PM
ITSAV.... any news? Mine was really noticeable today while driving with the windows up and the AC on. It's drivin me nuts. I'll keep you posted if I notice any difference when I install my new rear w/ the urethane bushing.

no nothing yet, I plan to do a install my cam, intake, and exhaust hopefully on the weekend of July 11, and when we do all that, we are going to take a good look at all my bushings and everything, cause we'll have the car lifted and be able to see it all real well.

silver02stang
06-23-10, 11:32 AM
and i'm doing clutch, shifter bushings, motormounts, and diff bushings a few weeks after that. hopefully we'll be able to track it down

JimmyH
06-23-10, 01:42 PM
+1 on the exhaust

0AT E03
06-23-10, 01:47 PM
You mess with the Sway (Stabilizer) Bars? When the endlinks get loose, they tend to clunk.

ITSAV
10-14-10, 12:36 PM
Just updating this.....it ended up being the rear shock