: Taking the Fleetwood to the track

N0DIH
06-18-10, 02:50 PM
Well, got laid off this year, was going to work on my TA to race, but the Fleetwood is already a good driver, so might just start taking it it to the track and see what I can do with the LT1....

Anyone ever race the big boat yet?

Stingroo
06-18-10, 03:06 PM
I'd love to see what kind of times your FWB puts out. Sorry about the job loss. :( Hope everything works out.

durrk johnson
06-18-10, 03:27 PM
On the street with an imaginary opponent? Yes...

In actuality? No.

Im interested. :)

sven914
06-18-10, 03:43 PM
I raced mine against a last gen Fleetwood and though he beat me on the highway, I beat him on the surface streets. We were on a long strip through a shopping district, and I beat him, from a dead stop, through every one of the traffic lights (about 8 of them conveniently spaced 1/4-1/2 mile apart). She held her own on the highway and I was able to stay on his bumper, but I just couldn't pass him before I got to my exit.

outsider
06-18-10, 04:17 PM
I've smoked every vehicle that has pulled up along side me at traffic lights...a lot of m*******s (no offense ;) ) will get in the wrong lane and try to cut you off but with my '95 they don't stand a chance. It's funny to see the look on their face as you stay even with them and then pull ahead.

Stingroo
06-18-10, 04:20 PM
^ I like doing that to people who cut me off too. LOL

abdullahone
06-18-10, 04:39 PM
I've smoked every vehicle that has pulled up along side me at traffic lights...a lot of m*******s (no offense ;) ) will get in the wrong lane and try to cut you off but with my '95 they don't stand a chance. It's funny to see the look on their face as you stay even with them and then pull ahead.

Got a 95, and same sentiments, and same experience :D

The-Dullahan
06-19-10, 03:26 AM
Must be nice having a car that goes about sixty.:)

Stingroo
06-19-10, 03:29 AM
You mean "above" 60.

And yes, it is. Maybe I'll let you drive the wagon for a bit during the meet. It'll be just like the hearse, but faster. :)

greencadillacmatt
06-19-10, 04:31 AM
^And less death-filled.
(Not that there is anything wrong with that, Dullahan ;))

The-Dullahan
06-19-10, 05:33 AM
^And less death-filled.
(Not that there is anything wrong with that, Dullahan ;))

If The Horsepowers come from shiny fake chrome around tail lights, LED washer nozzles and strobe headlights, I wonder how much faster my car is because of Toe-Tags, Flower Petals and Disembodied Souls?

All I need to do now is find a way to convert my engine to Cagliostro's alchemical law and stop worrying about gas, running open-headers on GHOST-POWER.

What sucks about my car is washing all the handprints off the outside windows from people peering in, but I swear, they appear on the inside windows too, especially the one behind the seat and they are far too small to accidentally be my own.

Aron9000
06-19-10, 05:50 AM
Provided I'm not asleep at the wheel, I can generally put the whoppass on people at a stoplight in the 1991 with the 350 TBI. I treat every stoplight like the tree, though.:cool2:

Merging onto the highway, well I can generally block people trying to cut in front of me on the two lane merge entrace near my house. If they're in a slow ass Honda or something I can get in front of them, but if they're determined to get around me I'm usually screwed.

However, in the Z28, that same onramp becomes the green flag at Daytona. The roar of the exhaust at full throttle deafens your opponets, the car stepping sideways and the tires spinning from the perfectly executed 1-2 powershift at 50mph, before you know it you're passing all those cars you're supposed to merge with. I can get up to 130mph by the end of the ramp in that car, the Brougham might, MAYBE with a prayer be doing 95.

Stingroo
06-19-10, 09:31 AM
I can get the wagons needle pegged by the end of an onramp (it stops at 100, so whatever). And there's been a few times where (once I slow down, as generally I only mess around on the ramps for fun, I'm not much of a permanent speeder) people will give me crazy ass looks as they go by, or I go by them.

It always makes me smile. Always.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
06-21-10, 03:06 AM
Well, got laid off this year, was going to work on my TA to race, but the Fleetwood is already a good driver, so might just start taking it it to the track and see what I can do with the LT1....

Anyone ever race the big boat yet?

Hey NODIH You are a man who I would say has gained a lot of respect on this site .I am sorry to hear of the job loss .Trust something will pop up with your skills.`

Am interested to see how the cad goes at the track . My parts have been shipped and arrived here --am picking them up 2 moro . I don`t want to race it but do need to get a 1/4 mile time .Picking if done right the toro 425 should help the caddy along .

N0DIH
06-21-10, 04:25 PM
Sweet, the Toro 425 is a stout engine, the 425's all were, and then they became 455's.... :) 400 hp 455's stock back on the ToroGT...

I have a friend who runs an awesome 67 Cutlass with a Diesel Block 350 and runs very low 10's on the motor, 9.7's on the bottle (75 shot)... Yeah, I like Olds too.... Check out his ride (now painted too!) YouTube- 1967 369" Small Block Olds Powered Cutlass runs 9.78 @ 132+ with a 1.242 60', now that is an Oldsmobile! My son shot the 9.98 time, was a wet day, nothing ran that good that day.

(It looks like this now)
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/mompower/Tom/IMG_0972Large.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/mompower/Tom/IMG_0973Large.jpg

Look how this Cutlass leaves, the rear suspension he has can be done in the 77-96 B/D cars too, of course if you aren't racing no real need... He has a 9in in with 4.33's I think now. Might be taller than that, the car was overrevving on the top end. Picked up ET and helped mph some dropping the gear down from the 4.88's.

Thanks much for the kind words, I appreciate it. I might do some PCM tuning, not sure, need to get me a laptop here ASAP, I am climbing the walls, actually PCM tuned my 454 the other day with the desktop in the front seat! AAAHHHHH!!!

If you need help on the 425, scream, I know a great source on Olds parts, as well as the best heads on the market for Olds V8's.... (and I had something to do with them coming into existance!)

Hey NODIH You are a man who I would say has gained a lot of respect on this site .I am sorry to hear of the job loss .Trust something will pop up with your skills.`

Am interested to see how the cad goes at the track . My parts have been shipped and arrived here --am picking them up 2 moro . I don`t want to race it but do need to get a 1/4 mile time .Picking if done right the toro 425 should help the caddy along .

gillianwhittaker@xtr
06-22-10, 04:29 PM
tx for the viodeo NODIH.
Man that is my wee adrenalin kick for the morning. Swig my last mothful o coffee , throw the dogs in the kennel and drive my F^*d van off to work pretending it`s a 442 lol.
Don`t want to jump a thread but will post a couple of pics as to where the engine is at this point .And the caddy all derusted n primed
mike

The-Dullahan
06-22-10, 06:44 PM
I just want to say, I have always HATED hood scoops and that colour looks like horrible choice, but somehow that colour on that car with the hood scoop looks brilliant. You Sir, have quite an eye for detail. It's one of those things that just has "flow" to it and everything looks alright together. Nice change from all the "Import Tuners" I've been seeing around lately. Pure, Raw horsepower, without adding an airplane wing or hollowed-out soupcan muffler.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
06-23-10, 12:11 AM
those diesel DX blocks are the ones to take the torque when converted to a hp gas engine .That car flies .love it .Looks real nice in red ,very nice .How much room have you got with those hoosiers ?? not much I reckon .
Tx for the parts offer . I think I have most things and am negotiating for a nice master rebuild kit for the 200 4r.Have a posi for diff 3.23 ,new pistons,bearings etc etc --going 30 thou over on bores . Ported heads ,al filled x overs ,just need to block off divider and finish lifting the ports .(about an 1/8 " )Apparently, G body headers bb will fit into the 86 f/wood brougfham --or as near as I will get without special order .
Money and we are away .
mike

N0DIH
06-23-10, 03:26 AM
This is all my friend's ride, sweet all out race car. He got the car out of a boneyard in Texas 6 years ago, a real story from 2004 to 2010....

His drag times are so consistent it is amazing, he is not a pro racer, but should be with how consistent he is. You are talking thousanths to 10thousandths consistency! His timeslips are a great read....

(of course I have to remind him of the time I video taped him hitting the revlimiter staging and the nitrous kicked in too early.... flames under the car were cool.... And it survived with no issues.....)

I just want to say, I have always HATED hood scoops and that colour looks like horrible choice, but somehow that colour on that car with the hood scoop looks brilliant. You Sir, have quite an eye for detail. It's one of those things that just has "flow" to it and everything looks alright together. Nice change from all the "Import Tuners" I've been seeing around lately. Pure, Raw horsepower, without adding an airplane wing or hollowed-out soupcan muffler.

N0DIH
06-23-10, 03:33 AM
He has done all the work himself, or a vast majority of it (not the cage, that one went to a race shop). The suspension is his design and it works as you can see, works well. And he doesn't show the hood to the guy staging anymore either.... :) The early days of his 75 hp shot were sorta funny....

He has a killer ram air on it too.... You don't get better than this! A real NASCAR air cleaner too. fitted with pressure measuring tubes and all. And the air cleaner itself weighs prob less than a pound!

This is the car only weeks ago!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/mompower/Tom/0_061210-1.jpg

those diesel DX blocks are the ones to take the torque when converted to a hp gas engine .That car flies .love it .Looks real nice in red ,very nice .How much room have you got with those hoosiers ?? not much I reckon .
Tx for the parts offer . I think I have most things and am negotiating for a nice master rebuild kit for the 200 4r.Have a posi for diff 3.23 ,new pistons,bearings etc etc --going 30 thou over on bores . Ported heads ,al filled x overs ,just need to block off divider and finish lifting the ports .(about an 1/8 " )Apparently, G body headers bb will fit into the 86 f/wood brougfham --or as near as I will get without special order .
Money and we are away .
mike