: Phaeton Fever Continues - 79 SEDAN!

Bro-Ham
06-18-10, 12:32 PM
As so many of our forum members salivate over the coupe version of the rare Phaeton models from 1978 and 1979, I've always wondered about the sedan version which seems to be the epitome of rareness. I don't think I've ever seen one offered for sale. Until today.

1979 Phaeton Sedan in white with blue top and white interior with blue accents. Very, very nice! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-CADILLAC-PHAETON-STUNNING-/190406181885?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c5517c3fd

77CDV
06-18-10, 12:48 PM
Aftermarket passenger side view mirror is just sooo wrong. Faux top bows look hoopty. Lovin' the white and blue interior, though. :thumbsup:

Bro-Ham
06-18-10, 12:53 PM
Do you think those inside roof bows are to hold up a sagging headliner? :)

77CDV
06-18-10, 04:02 PM
That was my first thought, although they may be part of the whole "squint hard and pretend it's a convertible" package. Ben could tell us.

codewize
06-18-10, 04:23 PM
Price looks good though

Benzilla
06-18-10, 04:47 PM
That was my first thought, although they may be part of the whole "squint hard and pretend it's a convertible" package. Ben could tell us.

lol, Helen Keller couldn't squint hard enough to make a 4-door Phaeton look like a convertible.

Those bows have nothing to do with Cadillac. And that aftermarket mirror looks gimpy.

Nice looking car though, right whitewalls too. It would make a great short term project.nd that

Stingroo
06-18-10, 05:13 PM
^ She could if she was drawing it!

Sorry... I couldn't resist. :hide:

The-Dullahan
06-19-10, 12:26 AM
Beautiful. I have never been a fan of white cars, but something like this could always change my mind. It's funny that this colour combo still remains fairly common on newer-model Cadillacs.

77CDV
06-19-10, 12:48 AM
lol, Helen Keller couldn't squint hard enough to make a 4-door Phaeton look like a convertible.

POTD! :lol:

greencadillacmatt
06-19-10, 03:43 AM
I find it kind of strange that the rare Phaetons are the four-doors. Usually it's the other way around with old cars. :hmm:

And yes. Roo, POTD. :)

Bro-Ham
06-19-10, 11:53 AM
gcmatt, back in the 1970's the Coupe deVille was "America's favorite luxury car" since it significantly outsold the sedan - both sold in huge numbers for luxury cars. I'm amazed Cadillac even offered the Phaeton in sedan form since, other than Lincoln in the 1960's, there weren't many 4-door convertibles. After the Phaeton, simulated convertible tops appeared on every kind of car from Toyotas to every form and size of Oldsmobiles, to, once again, Cadillac in 1983. 1976 was the last year of an American made real convertible and it was clear Americans were thirsting for a little convertible romance and the Phaeton was a tickle and a tease until the 1984 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible was released to satisfy a market that wasn't realized until it was gone.

77CDV
06-19-10, 10:03 PM
Strange that even just 30 years ago coupes could outsell sedans, but now coupes are the slow sellers (if they're even offered).

Bro-Ham
06-19-10, 10:53 PM
A coupe is attractive although you need to shoehorn your friends into the back seat so function has won out over form. It would be fun for the pendulum to swing back to coupes - the sexy new Camaro is popular and luxury car makers still dabble in coupes so who knows what may happen in the future.