: Whine from stock shifter.

R4a2m0o
06-17-10, 02:18 PM
I hear a whining sound from the shifter in my 04, mainly crusing on the freeway in 6'th gear. I have a PISNUOFF shifter on the way along with new bushings but I'd like to know what that noise is. The stock shifter has some side to side play in it. I assumed it was a worn bushing when I got the car and I didn't care because I knew I would be replacing the shifter anyway. When I put the slightest side to side or up to down pressure on the shifter the noise disappears. What is the cause and will the new shifter fix it?

PISNUOFF
06-17-10, 02:43 PM
Getting rid of all the slop will most likely fix it. The noise is probably just the whole assembly vibrating. Your new one will definitely not vibrate like that.

R4a2m0o
06-17-10, 06:14 PM
Hey I can't wait for the new shifter... can I get some bushings from you too or do I need to get those separately?

On a side note... I may also need the diff bushing tool you have going around if possible.

ELES6CTS
06-18-10, 02:45 AM
The new shifter should help. Brian's shifter is top notch and I'm sure you'll love it.

R4a2m0o
06-23-10, 02:39 PM
When people say they replace bushings, I have to buy those separately than the shifter right? I want to replace the stock bushings while I'm in there if they are not fixed by this new shifter. Sorry if that seems like a stupid question but I haven't opened up the center console in my car yet.

CadzillaTN
06-23-10, 03:25 PM
When people say they replace bushings, I have to buy those separately than the shifter right? I want to replace the stock bushings while I'm in there if they are not fixed by this new shifter. Sorry if that seems like a stupid question but I haven't opened up the center console in my car yet.

they are 30 bucks or so, made by a company called uuc. you can get them from lindsay cadillac. they add an incremental amount of stabiity and precision to whatever shfter you choose. you should do them both as a package deal since labor is about equal to get to them...
added alone, they wont really make a big difference to a stock or aftermarket shifter

PISNUOFF
06-23-10, 06:25 PM

I keep them in stock also. If you sent me $215, you'll get a set of them also. I'm not near my computer to check for you. If you didn't send me the extra $30, you can do that and I'll send them with the shifter.

PISNUOFF
06-24-10, 12:05 PM
I also make sure the internal nylon bushings in the base of the shifter are in good order. You'll get a shifter that has tight bushings with good o-rings.

R4a2m0o
07-07-10, 11:26 PM
I put the shifter in... it feels great. Every shift is just a click in, very solid feel. It takes more effort but I got used to it in a couple days of driving and I would not go back.

The play I had before is still there although it moves slightly less probably due to the short shifter. With the shifter at rest while cruising it makes a vibration/whine noise. Then when I push the shifter to the right, taking up the play, it disappears. I gotta think this is a linkage thing but I know now that the shifter itself, the bushings, and the linkage as far as I can see is solid, tight, and loctited. There is no play on anything you can touch during a shifter install. Also I notice that going into 5'th gear, 6'th gear, and reverse takes some feel because there is play when you move the stick to the right only. For example with the shifter at rest, I can't push it left without feeling the action, but I can push it right a cm or so before it engages. I basically have to line up the gate without hitting a barrier in 5'th 6'th and reverse and I have a very strong feeling that it is what's causing the noise from my shifter because I can make it disappear by pushing the shifter to the right with very little pressure.

What could this be? Are there additional bushings down the line? A linkage bolt or something that came loose?

wcryan
07-08-10, 12:56 AM
It will break in and it will get easier. Brians shifter is great, U will love it and you'll never miss a shift

PISNUOFF
07-08-10, 07:38 AM
There is another connection at the transmission. Sounds like there is definitely something else going on.

R4a2m0o
07-08-10, 11:30 AM
Is the connection at the transmission something that can come loose? Where should I look first to fix this?

Let me be clear that this problem has nothing to do with Brian's shifter... Brian's shifter is superb.

PISNUOFF
07-08-10, 12:13 PM
Follow the two outer linkage arms to the transmission. There are pins/clips that rotate off the bosses and slide out. These have bushings in them also. You can look up NormV's million page 'WOOHOO' rebuild thread and see what he did with some Home Depot bushings. Maybe one of your clips somehow came loose and fell out.

The center linkage arm connects to the shift lever on the top of the trans. I can't recall off hand how that connection is made. If everything is thight inside the console, you're problem is most likely right there or inside the trans.

ctsv154
07-08-10, 02:04 PM
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx64/micronut154/CTS-V20transmission.jpg

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/mshifter/30.jpg

PISNUOFF
07-08-10, 02:33 PM
I put some labels on one of those pics.

ctsv154
07-08-10, 02:38 PM
The clips for the linkage can be a pain. They have a small tab that needs to be pushed out before they will rotate. I use an allen wrench to stick in the hole to push the tab out and then the pin will rotate clockwise and then slide out. You can't see it in the photos but the hole is in the transmission just under the black tab for the pin that holds the linkage on.

R4a2m0o
07-09-10, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys... will I be able to check all this stuff out from under the car without pulling the transmission?

R4a2m0o
07-09-10, 05:26 AM
By the way it feels, it's gotta be at the attachment point for the center shifter rod. The shifter has play in one direction left to right and no play front to back. Either that or its in the tranny... I really can't believe that's the case. If it is, I'll feel even worse for buying a V. There are so many mosquito bite problems with this car it's almost laughable.

So will I be able to see the attachment point from under the car? It looks pretty far back in pictures.

PISNUOFF
07-09-10, 07:28 AM
I think you'll have to remove the trans mount, disconnect the shifter linkage and tilt the motor and transmission back. Put a block of wood between the firewall and the back of the motor to prevent damage.

R4a2m0o
07-09-10, 09:41 PM
Almost sounds easier to pull the tranny... I'm going to check the linkage again maybe I missed something at the shifter base that can explain this movement.

R4a2m0o
07-24-10, 12:04 AM
After looking at this problem more closely it's not the shifter or linkage. It seems to be somewhat intermittent... sometimes absent, sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes clearly audible.

Playing with the shifter and holding it a certain way seems to dull the noise or make it go away completely.

Pushing the clutch in, giving the car gas, or letting off the gas complete (ie not at cruise) make the noise go away completely.

I know my flywheel is falling apart but I'm not sure if it could cause this. Anybody else experience something like this? The tranny shifts perfectly. As far as I know it's never been open. I'm thinking of changing the fluid but just as maintenance I doubt it's contributing to the problem.

Baltimore07V
07-25-10, 07:05 AM
After looking at this problem more closely it's not the shifter or linkage. It seems to be somewhat intermittent... sometimes absent, sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes clearly audible.

Playing with the shifter and holding it a certain way seems to dull the noise or make it go away completely.

Pushing the clutch in, giving the car gas, or letting off the gas complete (ie not at cruise) make the noise go away completely.

I know my flywheel is falling apart but I'm not sure if it could cause this. Anybody else experience something like this? The tranny shifts perfectly. As far as I know it's never been open. I'm thinking of changing the fluid but just as maintenance I doubt it's contributing to the problem.

It sounds like you are hearing what I had after I did my mounts/LS7 Kit and UUC Shifter. 95% of it went away after about 3k miles, but its still there. Its in 6th gear at about 70mph and comes from the armrest area. My wife went looking for the sound when she and I were on a road trip, and its a vibe somewhere else in the car, being transmitted up through the armrest/shifter area. I contribute harder mounts and bushings to causing the problem. I have not invested a serious amount of time looking for the real cause, but I suspect its not your shifter/bushings. If its what I have.

R4a2m0o
07-26-10, 11:54 PM
It is definitely a vibration coming into the cabin through the shifter because I can play with the shifter and the sound disappears. Whether or not it's the tranny I can't figure out. My main suspects are tires, flywheel and transmission.

Tires - POS RS-A run flats, came with car, falling apart. Putting hankook ventus v12's on this weekend.

Flywheel - Stock, falling apart. Will be replaced with LS7/Fidanza and linkage will be examined.

Transmission... now this is where I'm a little hazy. Does anybody know what actually causes the 6'th gear vibe that the TSB talks about? Is it a bearing? I'm kind of worried because nobody else seems to have this issue.

If I push my clutch in the noise totally goes away. What does that tell you?

PISNUOFF
07-27-10, 10:39 AM
If I push my clutch in the noise totally goes away. What does that tell you?

Slave cylinder release bearing. While you're swapping the clutch and flywheel, you'll be replacing the slave also. Will most likely stop your noise.

R4a2m0o
07-27-10, 01:32 PM
Slave cylinder release bearing. While you're swapping the clutch and flywheel, you'll be replacing the slave also. Will most likely stop your noise.

If it was the release bearing then wouldn't it engage when I push my foot in? When I am cruising the throwout bearing isn't doing anything I thought. Unless it was vibrating around between the release fork and the pressure plate somehow.

PISNUOFF
07-27-10, 01:47 PM
Bad throwout/release bearings make noise until you push the pedal and put a sufficient amount of force on them.

R4a2m0o
07-27-10, 07:31 PM
Bad throwout/release bearings make noise until you push the pedal and put a sufficient amount of force on them.

So the bearing is touching the pressure plate fingers without pushing the clutch in?

PISNUOFF
07-28-10, 07:12 AM
Sure is.

R4a2m0o
07-28-10, 08:16 AM
It's also pretty much only in 6'th gear. What does that tell you?

PISNUOFF
07-28-10, 09:06 AM
Tells me you should give all the information up front. LOL. That sounds transmission related now.

Here's a couple general rules for whining (vehicle related).
If it's only in one gear, I'd look into the trans. If it's all the time, release bearing. If only at a certain rpm, motor or clutch. If different rpms in different gears, driveline past the trans.

R4a2m0o
07-29-10, 02:27 AM
I mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Is it possible it's fluid related? Bearing? Is this something I could fix myself if I had the tranny out for the clutch? How much should I expect to pay somebody to fix it or rebuild the tranny and fix the TSB issue?

PISNUOFF
07-29-10, 07:33 AM
Must have missed it earlier. I don't have any idea how much it costs to have someone else rebuild a trans, sorry.