: Do lowered V's need to have fenders rolled?

WesH8398
06-17-10, 07:48 AM
I'd like to lower my V sometime in the next few years (haha) so I've been doing a bit of research on the topic. Randomly, I just ran into a guy who had his '05 on Eibach springs. The ride height looks great, but I wonder about rubbing issues - especially in the front. I didn't inquire to the guy too much 'cause it was quite obvious that he was the type to just throw the money at the car and didn't know much about it or the modifications past what it cost him. Anyway ... the front looked like fender gap was almost completely eliminated, and if the tires were turned on a hard turn or something, I would think they'd rub or possibly even damage the fender. Is this possible? Or does the tire "tuck" and only make contact with the fender liner and not the actual fender?

Thanks for any input!

Twitch
06-17-10, 08:14 AM
It all depends on what your looking for. If the V is a weekend car, driven carefully, on smooth roads, you can slam it with little to no issues. But if your like me, I drive spiritedly in NYC so I need a bit of a gap (maybe 1 1/2") to the fender. It works for me since I don't want my Caddy too low. I can run it a bit lower, but there are a couple spots with nasty dips in the highways near me. It still wouldn't rub at speed limit, but........
Most of us do not drop it too low, so most don't need to be rolled.

Tony

WesH8398
06-17-10, 08:46 AM
Twitch - so did you even bother lowering your car? If you want a 1 1/2 inch fender gap - that's about stock ride height, is it not? My V is a daily driver as well, so we're in the same boat there.

Would just Eibachs on stock shocks be considered "slamming" it, though? This guy I was talking to just had Eibachs on his V and it looked pretty damn low. Since money is a factor for me, I *might* try just a lowering spring to see what the ride is like. If it's too harsh, I'll just put the stock springs back on. But if just springs will lower the car so much that I have to worry about fender rubbing, then forget the idea all together. I don't wanna deal with that. I figure Eibachs are probably average drop for a lowering spring, right? (About 1 1/2 inches I'm assuming)

Twitch
06-17-10, 09:30 AM
The 1 1/2" was a guess. This should give you an idea. I'm now running 255/40 all around. I had 255/45 which was noticeably bigger. They would not rub on bumps, but it rubbed going through a big dip at 70+ mph. The 255/40s do not rub at all.
As for the eibachs, you'd have to read up on them. One guy had the front real low, and the back looked jacked up a bit. I think most people are happy with them though.
Get a GC kit and you can adjust ride height. It's only a little bit more money.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/DSC06496.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/DSC06500.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/th_M4V06548.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j177/Gxxr1/?action=view&current=M4V06548.flv)

AAIIIC
06-17-10, 09:35 AM
You shouldn't need to roll the fender lips with normal lowering, whether that be using Eibachs or H&Rs or using coil-overs. I do rub the wheel well liner on track, but other than that have no rubbing issues.

PISNUOFF
06-17-10, 09:43 AM
Go with the GC 600/650.

The guard dog in the second pic is great.

tweeter81
06-17-10, 11:20 AM
PISNUOFF's recommendation is solid.

I would say that if you will have a gap of 1" or more on stock size tires, then you would not need to have the fenders rolled.

If you are going to go lower than that, or upsize the tires, then you absolutely must get the fenders rolled. Either way, a reputable body shop should be able to roll all four corners for $100-$150 (while using a heat gun on the paint to keep it from cracking) and you will have more piece of mind.

Also, don't go cheap and just get lowering springs, spend the extra $250 for a real Ground Control lowering kit and get all the adjustability you would ever want.

Here is how my car sits with the mods in my signature:

Ferny
06-17-10, 02:23 PM
nope! we all have seen how low my car is..right? no fender rolling here. no rubbing issues for me

PISNUOFF
06-17-10, 03:05 PM
Mine rubbed when I'd hit a large dip in the road when lowered 1", stock tire size, 500/550 & FE4's. Also rubs when lowered 1", stock tire size, 600/650 & QA1's with a passenger in the car.

ctsv154
06-17-10, 03:08 PM
Every car is different though. My car needed to be rolled on the front with 245/45/18's. The back needed to be rolled when I went to 275/40/18. But then again, I drive like a mad man. I love tight twisty roads and I really thow the car around. I have FE4's, 500/550 springs, and stock sways.

PISNUOFF
06-17-10, 03:12 PM
Every car is different though. My car needed to be rolled on the front with 245/45/18's. The back needed to be rolled when I went to 275/40/18. But then again, I drive like a mad man. I love tight twisty roads and I really thow the car around. I have FE4's, 500/550 springs, and stock sways.

That was my first setup. Rubbed like crazy before I rolled the fenders with a hammer at V-Day1 from hitting so bad. I chipped the paint. You're better off just going to a shop and having them rolled just to have piece of mind. Any rubbing after that will be on the wheelhouse liner and is insignificant.

tweeter81
06-17-10, 03:20 PM
nope! we all have seen how low my car is..right? no fender rolling here. no rubbing issues for me

Based on my and everybody else's comments, you are obviously the exception to the rule. If you don't drive the car hard enough to induce body roll, or you don't have people in the car with you, this could be the reason you haven't experienced rubbing yet.

But...I suggest taking a close look at your fender lip next time you have the wheels off, and I would bet that there is evidence of some rubbing...you may just not hear it during your daily driving.

ahahnu
06-17-10, 06:18 PM
My winter tires at 245/45/18 would touch the inner part of the fender and give off a high pitched noise. I bumped up the compresson two clicks and went to summer 255/40/18 and no problems at all.

rand49er
06-17-10, 11:25 PM
So, the variables are tire size, spring rates, anti-sway bar torsional rate, and of course driving style.

Personally, I've got GC kit, stock-size tires (GSD3s), 600F/650R Eibachs, FG2s, and Hotchkis bars. At 0.75" drop, I get no rubbing. At ~1" drop, the front air dam scrapes occasionally on dips in the road. My driving style is old-manish.

Ferny
06-21-10, 11:32 PM
very tru tweet. i do baby my car, but there has been a few times when i goooooo! i do take my comment back cuz one time i was going thru a dip while turning and it did rub, very little tho. i have got on it pretty good on on ramps to where my tc kicks in and have never had a problem....weird, i wonder if tony has had any rubbing issues. i think his is lower than mine and he has wider 20's than i do