: Changing Oil Warning from 3k to 6k

Doverpoint
06-16-10, 07:42 PM
The manual for my 08' Escalade say's change oil every 3k to 10k depending on driving conditions. I live in suburbia, and there isnt even any dust in the air, not to mention dirt and sand. I dont feel I should have to change the oil every 3k miles like the message center wants me too. I also know that if I pump my gas pedal with the key on, but not started resets the change oil indication, but what if I forget that I already reset it? Anyone know how to change the Driver Information Center (DIC) to warn me at 6k instead of 3k?

Ronin
06-16-10, 08:39 PM
The oil change interval displayed in the DIC can vary significantly due to a number of circumstances/factors; it doesn't automatically come on at 3K miles or any other specific mileage interval for that matter. There's no way to adjust it, just reset it. No way I'm gonna get dragged into an oil change interval argument though; change it whenever you want, and resetting the DIC and using that as a guideline rather than a hard and fast rule won't/can't hurt...

rbu1
06-17-10, 05:50 AM
For what its worth I would not go by the computer for oil changes. Prior to the Escalade we had a GMC Yukon. My wife would wait till the oil life percentage was down to get the oil changed. Several times the guy told her you were not reading any oil on the dip stick. I did not mind as much with the Yukon because it was a leased vehicle. Now that I own the escalade the oil gets changed every 3000-4000 miles even if the computer says 70% oil life remaining.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-18-10, 10:55 AM
The GM Oil Life System is not simply a mileage counter; it is a computer-based software algorithm that calculates the right time to change a vehicle's engine oil based on operating conditions. When it is time for an oil change, a "change oil" message will light up on the instrument panel or driver information center. The vehicle oil should then be changed within 600 miles of the display message. The GM Oil Life System monitors engine combustion events while also estimating oil temperature based on other engine operating conditions. Short trips, cold temperatures and towing loads all shorten the time between oil changes, while highway driving and milder temperatures extend the life of engine oil. GMOLS will automatically adjust the oil-change interval based on driving habits, engine characteristics and climate. From here, the computer is able to determine the rate of oil deterioration and notifies the driver when to change the oil. This is how the oil life indicator system works. It is ultimately up to you when you wish to change the oil in the vehicle but this system is here to help inform you when you may want to look at changing the oil. I hope this information helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

North49
06-18-10, 12:49 PM
For what its worth I would not go by the computer for oil changes. Prior to the Escalade we had a GMC Yukon. My wife would wait till the oil life percentage was down to get the oil changed. Several times the guy told her you were not reading any oil on the dip stick. I did not mind as much with the Yukon because it was a leased vehicle. Now that I own the escalade the oil gets changed every 3000-4000 miles even if the computer says 70% oil life remaining.

It is not designed to check the oil level. It is designed to estimate the amount of lubricating/protection elements that are left in the oil. The algorithm is also based on having a full crankcase.

The GM Oil Life System is not simply a mileage counter; it is a computer-based software algorithm that calculates the right time to change a vehicle's engine oil based on operating conditions. When it is time for an oil change, a "change oil" message will light up on the instrument panel or driver information center. The vehicle oil should then be changed within 600 miles of the display message. The GM Oil Life System monitors engine combustion events while also estimating oil temperature based on other engine operating conditions. Short trips, cold temperatures and towing loads all shorten the time between oil changes, while highway driving and milder temperatures extend the life of engine oil. GMOLS will automatically adjust the oil-change interval based on driving habits, engine characteristics and climate. From here, the computer is able to determine the rate of oil deterioration and notifies the driver when to change the oil. This is how the oil life indicator system works. It is ultimately up to you when you wish to change the oil in the vehicle but this system is here to help inform you when you may want to look at changing the oil. I hope this information helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks. I'm sure that the millions GM spent developing this system made it somewhat reliable enough for me to at least wait until 20% life remaining or 10k km before I change it.

09MDLADE
06-18-10, 10:06 PM
What about using synthetic oil? Will the system recognize that i have used synthetic oil and adjust accordingly?

Ronin
06-20-10, 10:18 AM
What about using synthetic oil? Will the system recognize that i have used synthetic oil and adjust accordingly?

Mobil 1 is the recommended oil for this engine, yah? If that's the case then the answer's obvious...but like North49 said that it's designed to work/function on a full crankcase and it does not measure level. Cadillac Cust Svc gave an excellent and detailed description on how it works. Much better than an idiot light, think of it as a poor man's Blackstone Oil Analysis report, which if you're really interested would give you far more information then you could ever possibly need, with the exception if you're a petroleum engineer, in which case their report would be like the new issue of Maxim to us normal guys! :)