: frame coating

shrike77
06-16-10, 06:38 PM
Hello,
Is there an undercoating on the frame from the factory on a 1987 Brougham? Or is it painted? There is some black stuff on it but I am not sure if it was done after the car was purchased.

I ask this because I have a bit of rust in the 4 corners where the lift is applied. There is also a tiny bit of rust in one area where the frame rubbed against something.
This is surface rust that is very very minimal My friend would say just apply some grease and never worry again, it won't get worse since the car will only be used in summer so it will only see rain, not snow and salt.
But the rest of the car is amazingly clean and I would like to keep it as long as possible (20-30 years or more if possible). Until there will be no more gas:)

So what is the best way to fix that?
Clean the undercoating in the affected areas with paint thinner, clean the rust with some sandpaper, use some rust converter and then paint it? What should I paint it with?

Or just grease it from time to time and forget it

deVille33
06-17-10, 10:16 AM
Treat it and paint it. That way you don't have to worry about reapplying grease if it gets washed or rubbed off.
By 1987 the factory had dispensed with the practice of applying undercoat due to the weight it added to the vehicle. Rust preventative undercoat was a dealer applied option.

water walkin warrior
06-17-10, 10:45 AM
From the looks of the underside of my car, I don't think it was ever undercoated. I'll probably have either spend a mint to get it professionally taken care of, or spend a lot of time on my back sanding down the metal and spraying it myself. That's the only part of my car that I'm a little concerned about. No rust on the rest of her (except for the one spot on the back bumper.) Central Illinois can be a beast on cars and now I'd rather park the Caddie in the garage and park a 3rd real cheap car outside to drive during winter. If I had $800 I buy a Geo Tracker 4x4 that's for sale in out town right now for winter. As it stands, I'll probably be driving the Bro this winter. :-(

shrike77
06-17-10, 12:26 PM
Thanks,
I was really lucky to find an example in such good shape here in Montreal, winters are as bad or worse than in Illinois on a car.
I will take some pictures this week end of the under car and post them.

deVille33, I will cover it with grease for the summer and I will probably take care of that in the winter. I just have to find some undercoating to cover the repaired areas and that is similar to the one that is there right now. Something applicable in a spray can since I do not have a gun

outsider
06-17-10, 12:57 PM
wonder if rust converter would be a good choice for this?

You wouldn't have to sand (although probably could if you wanted to ensure it was smooth looking), just spray it on and it would enforce it from what I've read

greencadillacmatt
06-17-10, 01:34 PM
What about that spray-in truck bed liner? I think you can get that in rattle cans and I'd think it would do the same trick as undercoating.

shrike77
06-17-10, 02:59 PM
I don't want to redo the whole frame, only the couple of areas that are affected. That is why I have to find an undercoating similar to what is there right now. Iw ould go bedliner but then I would have to cleand and redo the whole frame.

I am thinking of using rust convertor after i sanded, so it covers whatever I wasn't able to sand, like small crevices and all that.
But I think it has to be cleaned really well after that.

That will probably be my winter project. Fix the oil leaks as well. I think the oil pan leaks a bit. Or there is a leak from somewhere anyways since it is wet

The-Dullahan
06-17-10, 03:30 PM
If you can get your hands on enough engine enamel, most brands are incredibly durable and you can apply a coat of that after the converter. When I got my new exhaust I painted it down that way.

It's the only part on the bottom of my car that isn't brown and doesn't flake off if you touch it.

shrike77
06-17-10, 06:21 PM
Thanks , that is something to consider. It will not be original but neither rust is.

greggy18
01-13-12, 04:29 PM
Off the subject here shrike77.....but was wondering about ur screen name

jayoldschool
01-13-12, 04:36 PM
So you bumped a two year old thread instead of sending him a PM?

csbuckn
01-13-12, 05:09 PM
Dullahan, did you paint you're exhaust with engine paint? How did it hold up?

brougham
01-15-12, 02:37 AM
So you bumped a two year old thread instead of sending him a PM? Gotta like it when old posts come back to life for no reason :bigroll: