: 1978 Early Fuel Evaporator EFE

charcoll
06-16-10, 04:11 PM
HELP. I have a 79 Cadillac with 425 and a cold start issue - rebuilt carb and new choke with the same issue.

I suspect that it is the EFE valve but need to provide my mechanic with details.

Does anyone have info on troubleshooting this or a diagram?

Is this part still available or can it be de-activated?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Charcoll@yahoo.com

gornati
06-17-10, 10:26 AM
HELP. I have a 79 Cadillac with 425 and a cold start issue - rebuilt carb and new choke with the same issue.

I suspect that it is the EFE valve but need to provide my mechanic with details.

Does anyone have info on troubleshooting this or a diagram?

Is this part still available or can it be de-activated?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Charcoll@yahoo.com

i have the vacuum diagrams... is that what you need?

charcoll
06-17-10, 10:33 AM
Actually, I found them in a '77 shop manual - Not much in diagnostics on this part but I'm optimistic - My concern is that if it is not that and not the carb since it was re-built and other things are relatively new what else is there? Cold start problems shouldn't be this difficult - however, this is not drivable untill fully warm.

Thanks for your help.

deVille33
06-17-10, 12:07 PM
Are you sure the vacuum lines are routed correctly and that you have signal? There shouldn't be signal to the dashpots until youv'e attained operating temperature. Have you checked your choke settings? There is a description of the proceedure in the manual and if you follow it, your carb should respond correctly.
Timing set correctly?

charcoll
06-17-10, 12:29 PM
Vaccum lines are good - choke is good - I do need too check the signal - you are right though this is controlled by the TVS - my fingers are crossed that this will narrow it down. I wonder if it turns out that the valve is bad if replacements are available.

deVille33
06-18-10, 10:00 AM
Are Your dashpots holding vacuum? If there is a crack in your vacuum advance canister's diaphram, your engine will stumble on excelleration off the line and pick up will be slow until the centrifical advance kicks in. No vacuum or a cracked diaphram on your chke pull-off dashpot will hold your choke closed longer than it should.

charcoll
06-18-10, 04:12 PM
Testing it all out this weekend - thanks for the tips