: TPMS warning @ 42psi?

jerrycecco
06-16-10, 10:46 AM
Anyone know how to RAISE the TPMS warning from 42psi to 49psi?

--Jerry

AAIIIC
06-16-10, 02:05 PM
Not sure it's possible, but I would guess it would require the dealer tool (Tech-2 or whatever it's called) if there is any way to do it. Any reason you think you need to go that high?

rjoffe
06-16-10, 02:25 PM
As I have been told, by our tech this is not possible.

SkullV
06-16-10, 03:07 PM
It's not possible. Some people at the first V-day were asking the GM engineers about it (they had a tech II with them) and the engineers said it can't be done.

crankedupforit
06-16-10, 03:46 PM
Word on the street is that the GM engineers say just follow the cold inflation value and let the cards fall where they may. My new Yoko AD08s started bonging the TPM in the afternoon of the first track day I used them. I don't blame you for trying to find a way to raise the bar.

heavymetals
06-16-10, 04:48 PM
The way I figured out how to "fool" the TPS was to take them out and put them all in a vessel and inflate the vessel and leave it in the trunk.

BRUTE FORCE (I call it).

thebigjimsho
06-16-10, 10:56 PM
Word on the street is that the GM engineers say just follow the cold inflation value and let the cards fall where they may. My new Yoko AD08s started bonging the TPM in the afternoon of the first track day I used them. I don't blame you for trying to find a way to raise the bar.
Umm, why are you using TPMS on track rubber?? You should be checking pressures with a regular tire gauge and you'll feel any pressure variations on the track anyway...

AAIIIC
06-17-10, 11:07 AM
Why not use TPMS on track? Even if you pull into the hot pits in the middle of a session, your tire pressures taken manually still aren't going to be what they were before you pulled off, and you have to pull off track to check 'em (thereby wasting valuable track time). Using TPMS I can see real-time what my tire pressures are so that I know how I need to adjust them once the session is over.

Not to mention that without TPMS the system won't let me adjust which mode of Stability Control I'm using.

I certainly don't monitor TPMS continuously on track, but I do check it periodically to see how the tires are doing.

50 4Ever
06-17-10, 11:54 AM
When I'm doing an HPDE I adjust tire pressure before each session to 32 front 33 rear. I never use the TPMS...

:thumbsup:

crankedupforit
06-17-10, 12:41 PM
Umm, why are you using TPMS on track rubber?? You should be checking pressures with a regular tire gauge and you'll feel any pressure variations on the track anyway...

Ummm... because AD08s are not track rubber :)

Mine hit 43 psi with 30 psi cold inflation.

10-4 on using a real tire guage.

kevm14
06-17-10, 02:44 PM
42 is ridiculously low. Hell I run 42 cold on my Caprice. I don't understand why they would be so concerned about over-inflation. Last I checked, over-inflation rarely leads to blow outs. Under-inflation definitely DOES.

This can't be reprogrammed even with HP Tuners or EFI Live, or other software?

SkullV
06-17-10, 02:53 PM
I ordered this for my GTI (quiet)....it is kind of cheap so I'm hoping it works right, but with it you could leave your TPMS sensors out of your track wheels. It also has temperature readouts for each tire. I never had a problem leaving my street wheels/tires in the paddock and the car still picking up on the sensors.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Orange+Electronic/699/P409S/10002/-1

AAIIIC
06-17-10, 03:20 PM
I ordered this for my GTI (quiet)....it is kind of cheap so I'm hoping it works right, but with it you could leave your TPMS sensors out of your track wheels. It also has temperature readouts for each tire.
That's pretty slick. I might pick up one of those for my Subie. I take it you haven't actually used the system yet?

I never had a problem leaving my street wheels/tires in the paddock and the car still picking up on the sensors.
I've never figured out how/why the TPMS syncs with the sensors. I've swapped wheels/tires on the car numerous times in the past few years, and on occasion I've either forgotten to sync the TPMS or was just too lazy to do it for a few days or even a couple of weeks. Sometimes the TPMS display will almost immediately show --- for each tire. Sometimes it will show the --- for just couple of tires. Other times it will go for days continuing to show actual numbers for all 4 tires, but those numbers never change. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

SkullV
06-17-10, 04:18 PM
That's pretty slick. I might pick up one of those for my Subie. I take it you haven't actually used the system yet?

Haven't used it yet, still in the mail. It's going in my spare set of track wheels so I wont get to use it for a while anyway.

thebigjimsho
06-17-10, 07:48 PM
Why not use TPMS on track? Even if you pull into the hot pits in the middle of a session, your tire pressures taken manually still aren't going to be what they were before you pulled off, and you have to pull off track to check 'em (thereby wasting valuable track time). Using TPMS I can see real-time what my tire pressures are so that I know how I need to adjust them once the session is over.

Not to mention that without TPMS the system won't let me adjust which mode of Stability Control I'm using.

I certainly don't monitor TPMS continuously on track, but I do check it periodically to see how the tires are doing.
You certainly can adjust Stability Control without TPMS, you just need to drive the V a few miles first.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-17-10, 09:05 PM
Just to add to the above, they all have to be off of the car. I have one that likes to randomly display zero pressure, so I had only that one removed hoping I still could go to competitive driving mode at the track. While it would show --- after about 40 miles, being that the other three were still working, I couldn't go past TC off. Just an FYI.

darkman
06-17-10, 09:20 PM
The way I figured out how to "fool" the TPS was to take them out and put them all in a vessel and inflate the vessel and leave it in the trunk.

BRUTE FORCE (I call it).

Thanks Heavy - now I can stop carrying 4 spare tires in the trunk all the time.

JimmyH
06-17-10, 10:56 PM
I am surprised no one has developed a system of "cheater" sensors to satisfy the computer when the real sensors aren't there. The V isn't the only car with this "problem".

I also hated the 42 psi warning on the V. I wound up lowering my tire pressures (which I hated) in the summer heat just to shut it up.

thebigjimsho
06-18-10, 01:59 AM
I am surprised no one has developed a system of "cheater" sensors to satisfy the computer when the real sensors aren't there. The V isn't the only car with this "problem".

I also hated the 42 psi warning on the V. I wound up lowering my tire pressures (which I hated) in the summer heat just to shut it up.
Every track event I've done just continues to read the TPMS of the tires sitting in the paddock. Those tires, of course, keep the same pressure.

JimmyH
06-18-10, 04:37 PM
That works fine at a track event. what if you are someone who swaps between summer and winter tires? I know a lot of guys who do this. Short of Heavy's solution, everyone else has to live with the warning chime and without comp mode with a second set of tires/wheels mounted, unless they buy a second set of sensors, and recalibrate every time they swap.

ok, so I am being nitpicky. if I had to swap, and someone offered some device to temporarily fool the computer, I would buy it.

Paisan
06-20-10, 01:23 PM
If you are hitting more than 42 psi on the track you are probably starting at too high a pressure. I prematurely wore out my KDWs by running too high a pressure on the track. Start at 28psi and you will end up at about 40psi on track. Even if you go over it will quickly come down.

TPMS is a great tool on track, if you are running up 1 or 2 tires too high, it means you aren't driving smoothly and are sliding the car too much.

-mike

JimmyH
06-20-10, 01:33 PM
it means you aren't driving smoothly and are sliding the car too much.

buzzkill, I guess I better stay off the track :bouncy:

crankedupforit
06-20-10, 03:46 PM
If you are hitting more than 42 psi on the track you are probably starting at too high a pressure. I prematurely wore out my KDWs by running too high a pressure on the track. Start at 28psi and you will end up at about 40psi on track. Even if you go over it will quickly come down.

TPMS is a great tool on track, if you are running up 1 or 2 tires too high, it means you aren't driving smoothly and are sliding the car too much.

-mike

Yes....and sometimes, as I'm sure we all know by now, you can exceed the limits of a street tire with a V. Sometimes it's from poor driving and sometimes it's from skillful driving. This issue has been posted enough to consider it a pretty normal condition on the track. I may consider 28PSI next time as you suggest.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-20-10, 03:58 PM
I've started at 30 psi cold and hit 44-46 all around.