: Lord is trying me

LashCTS
06-16-10, 07:32 AM
I took the baby to the dealer a few weeks ago for the %^&*ing 6th gear vibration. Service manager tells me Cadillac says to solve the problem, the 5th and 6th gear needs to be replaced. I take her in today to have the repair done. Some days, it really pisses me off to own a car with 25K and have to rebuild the trans.

Houdini
06-16-10, 09:02 AM
Is this under warranty? What year V do you have?

perfect
06-16-10, 10:08 AM
Are you/they positive that it was the transmission...

I would suspect the motor mounts at 25k well before I'd suspect the gearbox itself.

darkman
06-16-10, 10:32 AM
The 6th gear vibration problem is known issue with Tremec that ironically can be aggravated by driving too conservatively and shifting early into 6th to maximize gas mileage.

perfect
06-16-10, 02:39 PM
Just another reason to drive your V harder!!

CancerJCC
06-16-10, 04:52 PM
I'd be happy to be getting warranty work done, especially in the trans. Think of it as getting something with 0 miles on it.

LashCTS
06-16-10, 05:00 PM
Is this under warranty? What year V do you have?

It's an 07, and yes it's under warranty

CadzillaTN
06-16-10, 05:41 PM
It's an 07, and yes it's under warranty

dude thats a blessing not a problem. 6th gear vibe is one of the hardest things to get addressed under warranty...in the early years, some ditched the car for this very reason.

what city are you in? sounds like its time for a road trip.

i can cruise in 5th, smooth..., shift to 6th- same speed (worst betw 75 and 80) and it it vibes...but only under load/accel. flat throttle and coasting are smooth.

if anyone else has had the 6th gear vibe covered under warranty, please chime in...

LashCTS
06-17-10, 05:49 PM
what city are you in? sounds like its time for a road trip....

Cadzilla, the Dealer is in Williamsburg, Va, Holiday Cadillac. Been dealing with them for years

soulja
06-17-10, 06:56 PM
Can someone describe this vibration. Cause I noticed vibration in sixth after installing the soft tranny mount from Creative. I'm thinking of switching back to stock and see if it still vibrates.

3Fletch
06-17-10, 07:10 PM
I too had the vibes. Replaced the transmission with the help of GM even with 70,000 on the clock. When they pulled the transmission the dual mass flywheel was cocked almost 1/2" and the shop felt the vibes were more from that than the transmission. I believe them since I noticed a bit of a vibe in 4th and 5th also. Regardless with a new transmission and clutch (stock/dual mass) and all is good now....

EdmundGTP
06-17-10, 07:41 PM
I'd be happy to be getting warranty work done, especially in the trans. Think of it as getting something with 0 miles on it.

Yeah, this for sure! I'm hoping that if anything's gonna happen with mine that it does so before my powertrain warranty is up (August '12 I believe).

LashCTS
06-17-10, 11:56 PM
Can someone describe this vibration..

It starts vibrating when you drive above 60 mph. You can feel it under your feet and seats. It get worse as you increase speed until you get above 90 mph. Hold your speed, and if you shift into 5th, and the vibration goes away and then shift back into 6th and the vibration returns, you've got the problem.

LashCTS
06-18-10, 05:30 PM
Picked up my girl this morning, replacing 5th and 6th gear did the trick. No more vibration.