: Is it ok to run different tires on each wheel???

CADDYDADDY13
06-16-10, 12:23 AM
I have a question guys.

Is it ok to run different brand tires on each wheel as long as they are the same size?

I know you shouldn't do different sizes, but if they are the same size does it matter?

I found some tires(all 235/75r15) for my Brougham but they are all different brands....
but they are a good price.

I didn't know if the differeing tread paaterns would affect the car?

sven914
06-16-10, 12:31 AM
It's not recommended to have different tread patterns on your drive axle. You can have mismatched tires on the front though.

Stingroo
06-16-10, 12:45 AM
On the front, no it doesn't matter at all.

I know on a posi-traction car you shouldn't run different tread patterns. Your FWB isn't a posi, but both wheels do spin from what I gather, so I assume it's the same idea.

I would pass. Try and at least pair them.

sven914
06-16-10, 01:09 AM
The way a non-locking rear differential works is you have spider gears that allow the each tire to turn at a different rate. They need to do this to allow the car to properly go around a corner. When the car is traveling in a perfectly straight line, on flat ground, the spiders don't rotate. Having different tread designs can cause one tire to move faster than the other one, which will over work the spiders and cause them to burnout and blow the differential. The damage wouldn't be imitate (take a few months), so I would take the tires and try to find a match for one and use the fifth one as a full size spare.