: How do our V's ride once lowered?

WesH8398
06-16-10, 01:23 AM
My V is still pretty new to me, and IMO they already sit pretty nicely, but I'm considering lowering sometime in the future. I've seen lots of pictures and love the looks, but I'm afraid I'll hate the ride like I did with my previous car (97 Mustang). The Mustang rode like CRAP after Pro-Kit springs, and that was even with upgraded shocks and struts too.
So, how are your lowered V's for ride comfort? Same as stock? A lot more rigid? Barely noticeable?

Zo6PwRd
06-16-10, 02:27 AM
Id say its only really noticeable over good sized potholes or bumps. Other then that highway driving is the same as stock. Im very happy with my H&Rs

06CTS-V
06-16-10, 08:25 AM
I have ground control coilovers with FG2's and I like it. Its a little harsh on bumpy/pothole roads but other than that its smooth and handles great.

rand49er
06-16-10, 10:03 AM
GC with 600F/650R and FG2s here, and I agree with the above posts.

Plus, the car looks so-o much better. :thumbsup:

nikon
06-16-10, 01:04 PM
Id say its only really noticeable over good sized potholes or bumps. Other then that highway driving is the same as stock. Im very happy with my H&Rs

Thats where I notice it...we have some bridges around here that have small 'humps' all the way across the bridge..If I don't slow down some my head almost hits the roof....otherwise nice and smooth.

SS from the "Wood"
06-16-10, 01:44 PM
Lower that 4x4!

Cholo style: cut springs
Econo drop: Eibach Pro Kit
$$ to burn: adj coilover (various to choose)

at any rate, go for it! looks are awesome, but you will sacrifice ride quality IMO

ahahnu
06-16-10, 04:43 PM
KWs are ajustable and you can make it as hard or soft as you want. Then you can ajust how low you go...

WesH8398
06-16-10, 05:49 PM
I would be going the econo route (although not cholo-style). Sounds like it might be a little rough again, like the Mustang was. I don't know if I want that type of ride again ...

AAIIIC
06-16-10, 06:25 PM
As with any car, it's simply a matter of matching the dampers and the spring rates. The Eibachs on your Mustang are a poor example of how to do things, since Eibach doesn't increase the spring rate much but takes away suspension travel. That's not a recipe for success. What "upgraded struts and shocks" did you have on your Mustang?

I have KW Variant3 coil-overs on my car. Definitely not cheap, but the ride quality is better than the FG2s when I want it to be, or more firm than the FG2s when I want it to be, and the ride height is set where I want it.

repenttokyo
06-16-10, 06:31 PM
You could buy the brand new Ground Control coilovers that I have for sale in the classifieds ;)

whisler151
06-16-10, 09:46 PM
I've had Eibach for 3 years...love the look and the ride.

thebigjimsho
06-16-10, 11:11 PM
Without a strut suspension, a lowered V won't "crash". If you have a well matched shock/spring combo, you can ride lowered and still achieve a stock ride. Either the KW or GC coilovers allow you to tailor spring rates and ride height to your liking...

WesH8398
06-17-10, 12:35 AM
As with any car, it's simply a matter of matching the dampers and the spring rates. The Eibachs on your Mustang are a poor example of how to do things, since Eibach doesn't increase the spring rate much but takes away suspension travel. That's not a recipe for success. What "upgraded struts and shocks" did you have on your Mustang?
The Eibachs I had on my Stang (which was sold for the V, by the way) were progressive rate springs, and I had them matched up with Tociko take-off's from a Mach1 Mustang (which rides 1.5" lower than my GT did, the same as what the Eibachs were supposed to drop me). The Eibach spring rates were supposed to be very close to the same as the spring rates used with the Mach1 also - but I'm sure a Mach1 rides a LOT nicer than my Stang did. I also had 18x9 and 18x10.5 wheels on it with 40 and 35 series tires, so I'm sure those contributed to the ride quality (or lack thereof) as well.

You could buy the brand new Ground Control coilovers that I have for sale in the classifieds ;)
I'll have to take a look, but I'm pretty sure you'll be asking for a lot more money than I'm prepared to spend. It's lookin like I'll be a while before I lower the car, 'cause I'm not goin the spring-only route if the ride is gonna be as harsh as my Stang was. I could justify a couple hundred bucks for springs in the near future, but not much more than that. Too many other (more important) things I'm spending money on right now.

Without a strut suspension, a lowered V won't "crash"...
I'm not sure I understand what you mean...

thebigjimsho
06-17-10, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean...
You can go stiff on a double wishbone suspension without the crash of a strut suspension, in general terms.

Ferny
06-17-10, 03:35 PM
Lower that 4x4!

Cholo style: cut springs
Econo drop: Eibach Pro Kit
$$ to burn: adj coilover (various to choose)

at any rate, go for it! looks are awesome, but you will sacrifice ride quality IMO

lol...im an econo cholo!

GC up front and cut in the rear :sneaky: