: 98 deville BlownHead Gasket???

abplilbrandon
06-15-10, 04:29 PM
I have a 1998 cadillac deville i just purchased.... when i was driving it home from the person i purchased it from it started to overheat....It took me about 3 hours to make a 30 minute trip home because i had to keep pulling over and letting the engine cool down. I didnt see any leaks...Im not blowing any white smoke...and it does not seem to have any Head gasket symptoms. I took it too two mechanic and they both told me it was the head gasket. So now i have accpeted that it is the head gasket. Now it is in the shop costing me 2500 to repair. I am mad that i have to fix it but it isnt that bad because i only payed 1800 for the deville with 76,000 miles on it... Under the hood was clean, the interior and exterior is very clean as well so now i am basically paying 4500 which really isnt that bad. The problem i just noticed is that on the receipt the place gave me it said they would strongly not recommend getting the repair because there could be other things wrong with it when they go to repair the head gasket that could be costly. I wanted to know what does a blown head gasket normally mess up in the engine that could be more costly and whats the odds.. Did i make a bad decision getting it repaired. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,
Brandon

eunos
06-15-10, 04:32 PM
Man I am in the same boat, I have oil in my coolant I dont know wtf is going on. I have an 01 deville drives normal but under load (uphill) it overheated on me.

abplilbrandon
06-15-10, 04:38 PM
yea its crazy i dnt think it had any oil in the coolant though im just trying to figure out what else could be messed up in my engine due to that...which would make the repair costly

eunos
06-15-10, 04:40 PM
No kidding. Pull your plugs, if you have water there its your HG

Ranger
06-15-10, 04:55 PM
A bad HG does not ruin anything else. Just be sure that they either use studs or inserts in all 20 bolt holes with NEW bolts. The old ones can't be reused. If they do not and just put bolts back in the holes, there is a very good chance that the threads will pull and you'll be back to square one.

Submariner409
06-15-10, 05:59 PM
^^^ True.

The Northstar head gasket failure rarely, if ever, requires more than a "top overhaul" of the engine, but due to the transverse mounting and transmission, the entire drivetrain must be lowered out the bottom of the car. Head work requires a lot of room, especially if you go with the recommended www.northstarperformance.com stud kit or Norm's inserts: Intense machining and alignment.

The basic block, cylinders, pistons, rings, rotating assembly, and chain drive are essentially bulletproof so a GOOD shop, with a GM Service Manual, can do a first class job and the engine will run forever. Make VERY sure they check the cams and followers (lifters) for wear - common in the older flat-tappet Northstars and not cheap to fix.

You are better off if you DO NOT open the lower end of the engine: study up on a Northstar and you'll see why.

Destroyer
06-16-10, 01:09 AM
The problem i just noticed is that on the receipt the place gave me it said they would strongly not recommend getting the repair because there could be other things wrong with it when they go to repair the head gasket that could be costly.
Sounds like the repair shop is trying to cover their ass in case they mess a few things up in the process. A pinched wire, bad connection or ground could theoretically wreak havoc "after" the repair. Also keep in mind that the problem could re-occur if not done properly.

tateos
06-17-10, 01:54 AM
Brandon - the warning the shop gave you is not a bad thing, exactly - they could be right, especially with some other cars, but on these Northstar engines, there are usually no surprises, which they would know if they had done some in the past. Also, $2,500 is a little high - I think $1,500 - maybe up to $2,000 is more common. Depends on what they are going to change. All hoses, new plugs, oil pan gasket, if leaking - stuff like that? I did all that and more. You might want to try to find a shop that experience with Northstar repairs, and more specifically head gasket repairs.

You have the right idea - a '98 Deville is a nice car, and although you didn't plan on it, the head gasket repair is not the end of the world, if it's a good car otherwise. You could very well get another 100K miles out of that car and engine, if you want to drive it that long. Sure, some other repairs will be needed, but what cars don't ever need repairs...well, OK, I guess I've heard that Japanese cars never need any work, but other than that, all cars need some repairs from time to time

That sucks that someone wanted to take advantage of you, by selling you a car which they obviously knew had a bad engine. Didn't you even test drive the car?

I had an engine replaced by a shop, and then also have done the HG repair myself a couple years ago - feel free to e-mail me any questions - I will help you any way I can

Richard Moore

rmoore@usdigitalmedia.com

abplilbrandon
06-28-10, 12:54 PM
I kno its been a while but i still have the car in the shop...What they are telling me now is that someone had put some type of stop leak inside of the engine and they think it is clogged...They claim they did the head gasket repair but the car is still overheating i also had to put a new radiator inside...they told me they where going to do some type of high pressure flush to the engine which i believe should not be done at all because it could mess up other things. So i called today and they said something about a clog somewhere inside the engine becuz someone used stop leak. they are telling me that have to start now by changing the water pump but they have no idea if that will fix the problem.
I have decided i am done with that shop and i am not letting them do anymore repairs on the vehical seeing as they dont know what they are doing any suggestions??????

abplilbrandon
06-28-10, 02:19 PM
I originally took my 1998 deville to a shop to get a Blown head gasket repair. The car had seem to be leaking this white type stuff from the radiator before i took it there. the car has been at this shop for about 2 weeks now. They have done the head gasket work (so they say) and they have installed a new radiator. But the car is still overheating. Now they are trying to tell me they believe there is a clog somewhere inside the engine from some type of sealant. which is causing it to overheat. The crazy thing to me is he told me they need to take the engine apart to figure out where it is clogged but they told me i need to put a water pump on car. It seems to me that they dont know what is wrong with the car and they are trying to say i need to replace everything that the sealant would have ran through and then if none of that was to work they would tell me replace the engine. Is there any suggestion/ what do you think about the situation and what should my next step be????? anyone

tateos
06-28-10, 03:55 PM
Brandon - I also received your e-mail, but I'll respond here, if that's OK with you.

They don't need to disassemble the engine to determine if something is clogged up, and they should have been able to see any coolant clogs while they had the heads off. I am sorry to tell you this, but I don't think they fixed the engine correctly in the first place. There are no secret coolant passages - pretty much everything is visible when the coolant crossover and cylinder heads are off the block. A few ideas:

Check, or have them check, the purge line is clear and flowing. Make sure the fans are coming on, and that the water pump is turning. Make sure the thermostat is working and is installed facing the correct direction.

Ranger
06-28-10, 05:05 PM
That's what happens when people use "repairs in a bottle". They hide the problem long enough to unload the car onto someone else. Only now it has two problems.

abplilbrandon
06-30-10, 11:22 PM
So i took it to a shop dat specialize in cadillacs. They are telling me the head gasket is still blown.... The other company claims they fixed it and said that the head gasket blew again maybe after 10 miles of driving. saying they believe the stop leak caused it and they now want me to purchase a new water pump before they will redo the head gasket because they dont want it to blow again and they believe the water pump has some stop leak clog in it. I really dnt want to deal with that shop anymore but it seems like i have no choice because i already gave them a 1000 down payment towards fix the head gasket which is still under warranty the other cadillac company charges 3500... I asked the guy about timeserts or w/e that the cadillac shop told me about and the guy at the other shop didnt know what i was talking about so is that the reason the head gasket blew so quickly because they didnt change the time serts or do u think i need to replace the water pump before doing the head gasket work

Ranger
07-01-10, 12:13 PM
If they replaced your head gaskets and did not insert all 20 bolt holes, then that may be the reason it failed. Personally, I'd use Norms inserts or Jakes studs. They have a coarser thread pitch than Timesert.

tateos
07-01-10, 02:22 PM
I'm feel really sorry for you - you bought a car from someone if good faith, and the ripped you off. Then you took your car to have the engine repaired, and THAT place ripped you off.

Stop leak or even a failed or no turning water pump will NOT cause a head gasket to blow. They MAY cause the engine to overheat, due to no coolant circulation, but that would only cause the engine to go into limp or "camel" mode, which will protect the engine from damage.

I don't know what to tell you to do - should probably contact Jake for a referral of a local company that will insert his studs - then you'll have a bulletproof engine.

abplilbrandon
07-01-10, 02:32 PM
Ok. i just came back from the cadillac guy and he is charging 3500 to do the head gaskets....the other shop never did the threads over which he told them had to be done with a cadillac since that is the main thing that caused the head gasket to blow..so the company choose to refund me my money back :) now i just have to save up another 2500 to get the job done and get this car on the road..........I am in maryland i checked on that northstar performace website and i didnt see anything in this area....I will contact him though because i see a lot of ppl recommend his kit... But my new question is how do i figure out if my engine is a vin 9 or vin y

tateos
07-01-10, 03:31 PM
Regular Deville is Y with 275HP. Deville Concours is VIN 9, with 300 HP, not that the VIN has any effect on any repairs or parts for the engines, except the (intake?) cams. $3,500 is way to much to spend. Contact Jake - I think he can hook you up with someone for about half that.

Submariner409
07-01-10, 07:42 PM
The eighth character in the VIN is the drivetrain package designation.

In my STS it's 1G6KY54992......

zonie77
07-01-10, 10:01 PM
I originally took my 1998 deville to a shop to get a Blown head gasket repair. The car had seem to be leaking this white type stuff from the radiator before i took it there. the car has been at this shop for about 2 weeks now. They have done the head gasket work (so they say) and they have installed a new radiator. But the car is still overheating. Now they are trying to tell me they believe there is a clog somewhere inside the engine from some type of sealant. which is causing it to overheat. The crazy thing to me is he told me they need to take the engine apart to figure out where it is clogged but they told me i need to put a water pump on car. It seems to me that they dont know what is wrong with the car and they are trying to say i need to replace everything that the sealant would have ran through and then if none of that was to work they would tell me replace the engine. Is there any suggestion/ what do you think about the situation and what should my next step be????? anyone

Stop leak "HG repair in a can" can screw up the whole cooling system. I know someone who did it and had to run a piece of nylon stocking in the hose to catch the pieces and clean them out...AFTER chemical flushes.

It's probably too late now but the guy who sold you the car should go to jail for fraud.

sts2980
07-04-10, 04:16 PM
I am "possibly" in the market to find a Cadi with a blown head gasket, but wont pay over $600 for one, and trust me they are around...
I have to chuckle when I see a DTS, STS, or ETC with any or all of the above: "new Rad, New Water Pump, New Thermostat, Rad Flush" as I know that the problem still is alive and well in the motor. Sadly many do not, and pay $2000 Plus for a car that needs $2000 plus work. Mileage cannot not be a reliable indicator, as the gaskets can go with under 100,00 K's or I have seen as high as 300,000. Sounds like the original shop just swapped gaskets, did not repair/replace the threads and bolts-what a shame, all that work to get the motor out just to Fail......
My 2 cents on Northstarperformance.com Just got my $600 STS back from Jake, have put 1000 k's on it, and feels like i am driving a brand new "98" car. I couldnt be happier. Too bad you not closer to his shop.