: 86 Fleetwood Brougham not getting fuel...

86FB
06-15-10, 02:54 PM
My uncle recently gave me an 86 Fleetwood Brougham and it will not stay running. I put fuel in the carb and it will start but it will not feed fuel to itself. I have looked all over for the filter and can't seem to find it. The manual says on the left side in front of and inboard of the rear tire. Nothing there but lines. Would this model not have one? What could be some other problems that would cause the car to not stay running?

outsider
06-15-10, 02:59 PM
I think the fuel filter is located where the fuel lines meet the carb. You should see a large nut which is actually the fuel filter housing.

To change the filter you will need 2 wrenches. one to fit the fuel line, one to fit the filter housing. Loosen the fuel line first, then the filter housing. Be warned, the filter has a spring behind it so don't let the spring go flying.

Also, if changing the filter doesn't solve the problem it could be the fuel pump. I believe the fuel pumps on these are mechanical in the carb (though i could be misunderstanding) and over time they do wear out and no longer make enough suction to "pump" the fuel in.

sven914
06-15-10, 06:18 PM
^Right. The fuel filter is in the fuel inlet for the carburettor; you need a 16mm line wrench and the larger nut is something over 24mm ( used vice grips when I changed mine).

And the 307 does have mechanical fuel pump; driven by a the camshaft. If need be, I can give you the removal and installation procedure, as well as the procedure for testing the pump's performance.

86FB
06-15-10, 08:29 PM
^Right. The fuel filter is in the fuel inlet for the carburettor; you need a 16mm line wrench and the larger nut is something over 24mm ( used vice grips when I changed mine).

And the 307 does have mechanical fuel pump; driven by a the camshaft. If need be, I can give you the removal and installation procedure, as well as the procedure for testing the pump's performance.

I am planning on doing it tomorrow. If you could post those directions just in case it would be greatly appreciated.:yup:

sven914
06-16-10, 12:03 AM
To test the pump output volume, you need to disconnect the inlet fuel line to the carburettor and put the end of the line in metal can. Then start the engine and let it idle for 15 seconds. There should be a 1/2 pint or more of gasoline after 15 seconds. If you do not have a 1/2 pint, then you need to disconnect the fuel line from the pump and connect a vacuum gauge. Crank or run the engine until maximum vacuum is reached. If the reading is 15 inches or more, then the pump's output volume is normal; check for kinked/split lines or restrictions in the tank unit (NOTE: you can check the lines by disconnecting each section and connecting the vacuum gage; if you get a reading of 15 inches or more, the line is good).

Even though the output volume is normal, the pump's output pressure may be wrong. To check the output pressure, you need to disconnect the inlet fuel line to the carburettor and connect a 10 inch rubber hose to the end of it. Then you need to connect a low reading pressure gage to the rubber hose and hang it about 16 inches above the pump. Start the engine and let it idle off the fuel in the carburettor and note the reading on the gage. Normal pressure is 5.5-6.5 psi, so if the reading is too high or too low, the pump needs to be replaced.

The procedure for the removal of the fuel pump is as follows:

1. Remove the A/C Drive belt
2. Remove the AIR pulley (loosen the bolts, remove the hoses and electrical connection) and lay aside
3. Remove the A/C Compressor, but leave the A/C lines attached
4. Remove the compressor front bracket
5. Remove the front inlet hose from the fuel pump and disconnect the vapor return hose (if equipped)
6. Remove the fuel outlet pipe
7. Remove the 1/2 inch hex head bolts using a 3/8 inch drive deepwell socket
8. Remove the fuel pump

Reverse procedure for installation

tbcaddy18
07-03-10, 02:44 AM
Does anyone know if the A/C compressor and AIR systems really need to be removed in order to replace the fuel pump for the 307?...or is there really no other way than to remove those things to gain access to the pump?

Anyone successfully replace the fuel pump without removing the AIR and A/C compressor?

csbuckn
07-03-10, 10:23 AM
I just talked to my friend that recently did his and he said you dont have to take the AC off but its much easier if you do. He took his off to make sure he got a good seal from pump to block. Just unbolt the AC from the brackets and swing it out the way, dont unbolt the compressor lines.

tbcaddy18
07-03-10, 03:33 PM
O okay, that doesn't sound too bad. What about the AIR?..did he have to remove that?

csbuckn
07-03-10, 04:14 PM
yep, that has to come off.