: Hello everyone

AP24LA
06-15-10, 05:01 AM
Hi there, i'm a new member from Las Vegas and wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading quite a bit of info here over the last few days and this seems like an awesome forum with some great members. My current cars are an 08 Escalade & 07 300 SRT8 (my DDs) 07 MB C230(wife's DD)and a 67 Camaro ss with a 400 SB (project/weekend). I am about 75% sold on a V2 being my next DD as i'm growing very tired of the issues and interior with my chrysler. Im sure that being a member here I will soon be 100% sold lol. I look forward to being a part of this forum and receiving as well as lending any help and advice I can. Thanks for having me guys!

I may as well post my first question here. I am having a tough time deciding between the V2 and M5 (v10 not the new TT). I'm sure this question has been discussed more than one too many times but I was hoping that someone who may have experience with both cars could lend some real world comparisons of the two. I realize that there are many comparos out there by MT, C&D, R&T etc. but id much rather hear some actual experience and opinions from someone who has actually driven the cars for more than a half day and off of a track. Im VERY performance oriented and that is going to be my determining factor after all is said and done. Any help is much appreciated.

mugatu22
06-15-10, 05:19 AM
I have experience with both cars, and more importantly, experience with both brand forums.

Let's take a wild guess at what's about to happen in this thread....

The vast majority of CTS-V owners will tell you to buy the CTS-V, because it's a superior car. It's a 'better value.' It's a higher performance car, etc etc. This is what they will say, and have said in all the other threads.

Visit the BMW forum...
The vast majority of M5 owners will tell you to buy the M5, because it's a superior car. Etc etc etc.

Only you can decide what you want. Drive both and you'll know which one you want. Unbiased opinions don't exist here.

Good luck w/your purchase, you can't make a bad decision between these 2 autos.

digital1021
06-15-10, 05:23 AM
Welcome to the forum, your in luck, we have at least 7 people that have come from M5's and 1 that came from a M6 that I know of, so I am sure they will weigh in shortly.

~ Matt

AP24LA
06-15-10, 05:40 AM
I have experience with both cars, and more importantly, experience with both brand forums.

Let's take a wild guess at what's about to happen in this thread....

The vast majority of CTS-V owners will tell you to buy the CTS-V, because it's a superior car. It's a 'better value.' It's a higher performance car, etc etc. This is what they will say, and have said in all the other threads.

Visit the BMW forum...
The vast majority of M5 owners will tell you to buy the M5, because it's a superior car. Etc etc etc.

Only you can decide what you want. Drive both and you'll know which one you want. Unbiased opinions don't exist here.

Good luck w/your purchase, you can't make a bad decision between these 2 autos.

haha good point.:bang2:

SleepTight
06-15-10, 05:55 AM
As a current 2008 M5 owner, I have to ultimately give it to the CTS-V over the current generation M5. The CTS-V was designed specifically to beat the M5 in every category and to a very large degree, it delivers. The V also rides softer and is far easier to drive in normal daily driving conditions.

On the M5 side of the equation, the quality of the fit and finish, particularly in the interior, is superior to the CTS-V. Also, the BMW optional multi-function seats in the M are probably the best auto seats in the world. The optional Recaro seats in the V are good, but not as good. Finally, there is no doubt that the M5 showcases far more advanced technology (V10, SMG, etc.) than does the V, but that doesn't mean that the M5 is objectively better when driven on the street or track as compared to the V's tried and true technology.

Personally, I'm picking up a new V this week for a whole host of reasons but mainly because, as of right now, it is the better car. We'll see what BMW has in store when they finally unveil the F10 M5.

AP24LA
06-15-10, 06:34 AM
As a current 2008 M5 owner, I have to ultimately give it to the CTS-V over the current generation M5. The CTS-V was designed specifically to beat the M5 in every category and to a very large degree, it delivers. The V also rides softer and is far easier to drive in normal daily driving conditions.

On the M5 side of the equation, the quality of the fit and finish, particularly in the interior, is superior to the CTS-V. Also, the BMW optional multi-function seats in the M are probably the best auto seats in the world. The optional Recaro seats in the V are good, but not as good. Finally, there is no doubt that the M5 showcases far more advanced technology (V10, SMG, etc.) than does the V, but that doesn't mean that the M5 is objectively better when driven on the street or track as compared to the V's tried and true technology.

Personally, I'm picking up a new V this week for a whole host of reasons but mainly because, as of right now, it is the better car. We'll see what BMW has in store when they finally unveil the F10 M5.

Wonderful info, thank you very much. I realize that there aren't many cars on the road that will run with an M at 120mph+. What exactly are the recommended mods for the V2 in order for it to hang with the M up high?

Ross L
06-15-10, 08:58 AM
Why wouldn't it beat the m5 up top? IMO(and I have 0 experience with the M5). The caddy makes more up/ torque, weights about the same(guess) and has similar aerodynamics(again , a complete guess). Soooo, it should beat the M5. Ok, let me have it ...;-)

Ross L
06-15-10, 09:04 AM
BTW , Welcome!

snzuloz
06-15-10, 11:29 AM
Hello, welcome to the forum! Just curious why is everyone so worried about which car is faster 120+, i used to laugh at the morons that would go sailing past once the race was clearly over and i was already braking. The answer to that question (which is faster up top) probably is only to do with gearing of both vehicles, the BMW probably stretches its legs better up top and has more mechanical advantage?

JFJr
06-15-10, 11:44 AM
Well, you did say that you're looking for a new daily driver, so why would you care which car pulls harder above 120 mph? I haven't driven an M5, but after 18 months with my "V," I would be hard pressed to find a better car for that purpose, and I love high performance cars, too. I wouldn't dream of tracking my "V," it's much too nice for that. Finish your Camaro and track it on weekends to keep up your driving skills.

Jud

cbloveday
06-15-10, 12:47 PM
I previously owned a Heavily modded 300c Srt8 (heads, cam, headers high flow exhaust, etc. etc.
My next car was an 07 M6 also heavily modded with Dinan Stage 2
Current V is heavily modded, see my sig.

Long story short, like my V out of all of them for numerous reasons you may have read about.

2007 M6 Black Sapphire Metallic/Carbon Fibre Trim
Eisenmann Race Oval Tips
3M Clear Bra
RPI Scoops (Black)
K40 Calibre Radar w Bluetooth Remote & Defuser EX
Sprint Booster
Vorsteiner Carbon Fibre Front Spoiler
Dinan H Flow Air Mass Meter/Intake D763-0044
Dinan Cold Air Intakes D760-0021
Dinan 13% Pulley D560-0001
Dinan Stage 3 Software D903-51M3
Dinan H Flow Throttle Bodies D760-3800A
Dinan 3.91 LSD D773-0601A
Dinan CF Strut Brace D180-0007A
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension D190-6318

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/vorsteiner018.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/vorsteiner046.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/vorsteiner012.jpg

300c srt8
too much to list

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/1stpaulinstall/61hemi007-1.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/1stpaulinstall/61hemi014.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/1stpaulinstall/61hemi013.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/1stpaulinstall/vellanos003-1.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/1stpaulinstall/vellanos002.jpg

WheelExecutives
06-15-10, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the site!

Caddyscat
06-15-10, 01:35 PM
Not to mention you save 30K on a V over the M. I can't justify 30k for an interior that is still plastic.

Luna.
06-15-10, 01:54 PM
Both cars are awesome, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I will say this, however...

I think it would be hard for someone to argue that the M5 is better bang-for-your-buck than the V is.

As a matter of fact, I strongly believe the opposite to be true.

However, my experience has been that women are more fond of BMWs than Caddys (my propaganda is to change that! :cool2:)

AP24LA
06-15-10, 03:48 PM
Why wouldn't it beat the m5 up top? IMO(and I have 0 experience with the M5). The caddy makes more up/ torque, weights about the same(guess) and has similar aerodynamics(again , a complete guess). Soooo, it should beat the M5. Ok, let me have it ...;-)

7 speed high revving v10 in the M is absolutely amazing up high.

AP24LA
06-15-10, 03:49 PM
BTW , Welcome!

Thank you.:thumbsup:

AP24LA
06-15-10, 04:06 PM
As far as why I need to go that fast in my DD, I live in vegas and do ALOT of highway driving. Im not sure how this forum feels about street racing so hopefully i'm not breaking the rules and if I am I apologize. I would say that I run someone 3-5 times per week in my SRT and I would say that its about 50-50 runs from a dig to around 80 or so and runs on the highway from cruising speed up into mid triple digits. I will NEVER race anyone if there are any other cars in the area and believe it or not that is the case quite often out here. Im not saying that i'm going to use that top end power on a daily basis but the primary reason why I would get a V and I would guess that most others have as well is mainly because of the performance aspect of the car. I will modify the car quite a bit just as i've done with my chrysler and I do want my daily driver to double as a bad ass road monster. At the end of the day I want to be able to know that I am able to pull on almost anyone out there at all speeds especially the main competition of the car.

AP24LA
06-15-10, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=cbloveday;2275398]I previously owned a Heavily modded 300c Srt8 (heads, cam, headers high flow exhaust, etc. etc.
My next car was an 07 M6 also heavily modded with Dinan Stage 2
Current V is heavily modded, see my sig.

Long story short, like my V out of all of them for numerous reasons you may have read about.

haha I guess great minds think alike because you have my 3 ideal cars lol. Maybe I can swing getting the M6 for the wife and the V for me and get the best of both worlds :stirpot:

A few pics of my toys:

AP24LA
06-15-10, 04:18 PM
As far as price goes, I would more than likely be going a couple years old on the M so price would be almost identical. Obviously that a pretty big selling factor for the V is practically brand new vs used for the M.

PhxTriode
06-15-10, 06:59 PM
As far as price goes, I would more than likely be going a couple years old on the M so price would be almost identical. Obviously that a pretty big selling factor for the V is practically brand new vs used for the M.

I was in a similar dilemma, used M5 (own an E39 M5 that I love) or CTS-V. In the end I went with the V. Bang for the buck in mods alone are worth its weight in gold comparing to the M5 and there are far more tuners familiar with the LS platform.

Being a new member you will notice most of what you read is in this forum refers to straight line performance. I personally like to late brake and power through the apex. The V does them both exceptionally well.

In the end if the car you buy leaves you making any excuse to jump in and drive. It was a great purchase!

DiamondWhtV
06-15-10, 07:30 PM
... In the end if the car you buy leaves you making any excuse to jump in and drive. It was a great purchase!

You are right about that....

Wife says Honey...run to the store and pick up some bread and milk.

Me....No problem sweetheart...be back in a jiffy

Several hours go by before I get back home....

Me...Opps honey I forgot the milk...be right back

PhxTriode
06-15-10, 07:45 PM
You are right about that....

Wife says Honey...run to the store and pick up some bread and milk.

Me....No problem sweetheart...be back in a jiffy

Several hours go by before I get back home....

Me...Opps honey I forgot the milk...be right back

Hope that mine NEVER reads this forum and catches on

cbloveday
06-15-10, 09:04 PM
AP24LA,

Nice stable!!!!

digital1021
06-15-10, 09:06 PM
7 speed high revving v10 in the M is absolutely amazing up high.

The V10 revs to 8250 RPM's vs 6200RPM's

There is also a difference in gear ratios

GEAR____M5_____CTS-V
1st_____3.99:1_____4.027
2nd____ 2.65:1_____2.364
3rd_____1.81:1_____1.532
4th_____1.39:1_____1.152
5th_____1.16:1_____0.852
6th_____1.00:1_____0.667
7th_____0.83:1_____ -----

As you can see the M5 isn't over driven until 7th gear. This is the big advantage of a high revving motor. Once you go in to over drive, you lose mechanical advantage, meaning less force/power is transmitted to the wheels. This is the big limiting factor on high speed acceleration. That being said, based on my one run with an M5, your not going to be passed like your standing still.

~ Matt

AP24LA
06-15-10, 09:29 PM
I was in a similar dilemma, used M5 (own an E39 M5 that I love) or CTS-V. In the end I went with the V. Bang for the buck in mods alone are worth its weight in gold comparing to the M5 and there are far more tuners familiar with the LS platform.

Being a new member you will notice most of what you read is in this forum refers to straight line performance. I personally like to late brake and power through the apex. The V does them both exceptionally well.

In the end if the car you buy leaves you making any excuse to jump in and drive. It was a great purchase!

Absolutely agree, I find myself powering through almost every turn I get a chance too lol. I love driving my car now so im certain that my gas payment will out weigh my car payment for the firt few months lol. The fact that there are more tuner options for the V is also a huge factor.

AP24LA
06-15-10, 09:29 PM
AP24LA,

Nice stable!!!!

Thanks! wanna trade?? lol

Ross L
06-15-10, 09:37 PM
Soooo, even though the m5 makes less hp and weighs the same, it will out accelerate the V from say 100mph because of gearing?

digital1021
06-15-10, 09:48 PM
Well, it will be able to get more power to the ground, say from about 130mph on. It is actually pretty close from what I can tell, unless the M5 is delimited, in which case the M5 is capable of about 205MPH, the 6M CTS-V is good for about 192-198MPH unmodded.

JFJr
06-15-10, 09:55 PM
All of this talk is nice, but stop that and test drive a "V," both types of transmissions, if you have the opportunity, before you piss away your money on modifications. I haven't heard of as many owners of manual "V's" that required mods.

AP24LA
06-15-10, 10:02 PM
Ive seen a delimited M5 put about 1 length on a V past right about 120 mph. Obviously thats not the most "usable" speed but its still there. The V had about a length on the M before the M reeled him in and passed so I think its safe to assume that if they were dead even at around 100+ that the M would definitely have a slight edge. Probably not many people out there with no governor on their M though so that lead wouldn't last long in most cases. Heres a video, obviously doesnt really show much of the top end of the race but you can still see what happens. Its amazing how hard the M starts to pull, I almost wonder if the V was still at wot or if they were trying to save face for the M, who knows. Just to clarify, im not on any level trying to say that the M is stronger, just pointing out the differences. Id rather have the Vs power 99% of the time.

YouTube- Cadillac CTS-V vs BMW M5 by autocar.co.uk

cbloveday
06-15-10, 11:47 PM
Yes, unless you are on the autobahn frequently, you'll enjoy the V torque more in the states. I prefer the torque over the V10 wail.

However, this is a favorite and brings back memories.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/bmw-m6-e63-v10-eisenmann-sport-exhaust/21d6ef6a2b802f16064221d6ef6a2b802f160642-67815867615

AP24LA
06-16-10, 12:35 AM
Yes, unless you are on the autobahn frequently, you'll enjoy the V torque more in the states. I prefer the torque over the V10 wail.

However, this is a favorite and brings back memories.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/bmw-m6-e63-v10-eisenmann-sport-exhaust/21d6ef6a2b802f16064221d6ef6a2b802f160642-67815867615

WOW. That is one thing that the V isnt even in the same realm as the M. When it comes to sound, the M cars are F1 through and through. The Eisenmann Sport and meisterschaft are the only exhaust systems to go with for the M imo.

mugatu22
06-18-10, 03:01 AM
...the V10 wail.

OMG that was pure sex. How anyone could say ANY GM car sounds better than this is beyond me.

I agree about the torque though; more fun w/the V around town.

But that V10 waillllll.....:worship:

cbloveday
06-18-10, 03:39 AM
Yes, I often found myself looking for tunnels to go through with the windows down. Coming out of the M6, I had to get used to the lower redline on the LSA.

SleepTight
06-18-10, 10:44 AM
Yes, I often found myself looking for tunnels to go through with the windows down. Coming out of the M6, I had to get used to the lower redline on the LSA.

That's the thing I'm most going to miss as well. The sound of the M5's V10 at high rev is definitely almost worth the price of admission. The LS's lower redline just can't compete with that. The whine of the supercharger helps make up for some of the difference, but it's a little too restrained in stock form. An AirRaid or KPE CAI is probably in my future.

This is a little off-topic but the 2012 M5 will utilize BMW's new twin-turbo V8, which doesn't sound at all special judging from the sound clips.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380231

aj660
06-18-10, 11:25 AM
OMG that was pure sex. How anyone could say ANY GM car sounds better than this is beyond me.

Yeah, that car sounds great. However, I remember recently listening to a 700hp CTS-V on youtube and the car sounded amazing. I think it had Corsa and American racing headers, cam, etc.....

4gear70
06-18-10, 02:30 PM

As much as I don't mind the sound of a V10 whining, I much prefer the rumble of a good 'ol thunderous V8!

AP24LA
06-18-10, 03:11 PM
Yeah, that car sounds great. However, I remember recently listening to a 700hp CTS-V on youtube and the car sounded amazing. I think it had Corsa and American racing headers, cam, etc.....

Yea, I love the V10 sound but Ill be going with the AR headers and Corsa so im sure itll sound just fine lol.

cbloveday
06-18-10, 03:58 PM
It will be loud.

I owned the corsa sport axleback and when I got the AR headers and custom exhaust I sold the corsa to another member and reinstalled the OEM Mufflers. As it is, I get alot of looks............... and compliments on the sound. My neighbors would not have liked the corsa/AR headers combo! :)

AP24LA
06-18-10, 11:04 PM
It will be loud.

I owned the corsa sport axleback and when I got the AR headers and custom exhaust I sold the corsa to another member and reinstalled the OEM Mufflers. As it is, I get alot of looks............... and compliments on the sound. My neighbors would not have liked the corsa/AR headers combo! :)

I've got electric cutouts now on my SRT and I don't think theres any way that it'll be louder than these so my neighbors will be pleasantly surprised with the drop in dbs lol

GMX322V S/C
06-24-10, 02:26 AM
V10's sound exotic all right, but I wouldn't mind having that 180-degree header sound coming from my good ole American V8:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6XnD4cfX4S8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6XnD4cfX4S8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbvbzVNff8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbvbzVNff8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSZTbR6C6Lw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSZTbR6C6Lw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>