: chocolate

sassanach
06-15-10, 03:16 AM
why did gm make exhaust camshafts out of chocolate?78000 miles and both exhaust cams are fubared.i reckon there will be another caddy for the wreckers yard very soon.:rant2::alchi:

Submariner409
06-15-10, 09:18 AM
Which of the 5 cars has bad cams ?

Jake is working on hardened regrinds.........

ponyboyt
06-15-10, 11:08 AM
It cant be, without proof there is NOTHING!

Taste them. If you tell me they taste like chocolate then ill take your word for it.

Back on track: Can anyone tell us symptoms of worn exhaust cams

hrm multilanguage keyboard, where is the question mark key..... !@#$%

sassanach
06-15-10, 11:33 AM
the 99 sts is the culprit(i know i have called it a 2000 but now i know the difference, i realise it was made in 99 but registered in 2000). incidentally the head gasket has failed on the rear bank but all the headbolts threads are intact and will retorque to spec

sassanach
06-18-10, 05:25 PM
if i bend over and stump up the $800 to replace the cams are they still made of chocolate or did they sort the problem?

Submariner409
06-18-10, 05:59 PM
Replace the cams AND hydraulic cam followers; I just tripled your cost.

When (if) you do, seriously consider changing to a fleet/marine heavy duty 10W-30 engine oil. Pennzoil LongLife, Shell Rotella, Chevron DELO......all contain significantly higher anti-wear and anti-scuff packages than conventional "starburst" 10W-30's - and are far better oils for flat tappet style cams and followers. (For your market, look at Castrol's commercial oil offerings.)

tateos
06-18-10, 07:57 PM
if i bend over and stump up the $800 to replace the cams are they still made of chocolate or did they sort the problem?

Sub kind of answered your question - no, the cams are actually defective - that's just the way they are designed, and after 100-150K miles, they sometimes wear out, perhaps partly due to the reduced anti-wear additive packages in today's starburst oils. 78,000 miles is not normal N* cam life - not even close - so there must have been, or must still be, another problem going on in your engine.