: '05 CTS-V stuck accelerator?

mndrsma
06-14-10, 10:52 PM
My son had an accident in my CTS-V, the accelerator stuck. Anyone else experience this in an '05?

CancerJCC
06-14-10, 11:03 PM
Hmmm sorry to say but I have never read of this issue with the V. Perhaps said son watches the news and pulled a "Toyota" on you when he fugged up...

Gus_Mahn
06-14-10, 11:09 PM
I've never heard of this happening. It hasn't happened to me, but my car was towed twice and the gas pedal was replaced under warranty for the previous owner. Don't know what the issue was, but I doubt it was unintended acceleration.

Would you give more details on the accident. What gear, what rpm, what did he run into, did he have the traction control off, did he have a chance to push in the clutch???

c4ss
06-15-10, 12:04 AM
Never heard of this as well. Nothing against your kid, but it sounds like an excuse for getting on it a bit too much and cracking up the car...

heavymetals
06-15-10, 12:16 AM
There is a thing called THE CLUTCH :thepan: (or did that get stuck to?).

ctsv154
06-15-10, 12:22 AM
If in fact the blade stuck open and his foot was off the throttle, the car would go into a reduced engine power mode. It's a fail safe just for this type of thing. If the tps sends back a different voltage than the pedal potion sensor, it goes f you and shut the whole system down. Maybe it really happed but I think a more likely case is driver error. Considering this drive by wire has been around since 97 (since the C5 and possibly earlier) it's been in trucks to goats to V's to vettes and I can't recall a single accident ever being cause by a hung throttle in a drive by wire gm. Perhaps the floor mat got on the pedal? Only real logical explenation besides the obvious.

Roidz24
06-15-10, 12:27 AM
Unless it's a Toyota made V I can't say I've heard of this happening.

kjr6306
06-15-10, 12:41 AM
LOL....stuck accelerator!!! Thats a good one!!! I used the same excuse in my dad's '70 Corvette when I was 16. How old is your son?

ELES6CTS
06-15-10, 01:12 AM
Although the company who made the pedals for Toyota is called CTS, I highly doubt this happened. Im guessing an excuse for doing something stupid.

c4ss
06-15-10, 01:51 AM
If in fact the blade stuck open and his foot was off the throttle, the car would go into a reduced engine power mode. It's a fail safe just for this type of thing. If the tps sends back a different voltage than the pedal potion sensor, it goes f you and shut the whole system down. Maybe it really happed but I think a more likely case is driver error. Considering this drive by wire has been around since 97 (since the C5 and possibly earlier) it's been in trucks to goats to V's to vettes and I can't recall a single accident ever being cause by a hung throttle in a drive by wire gm. Perhaps the floor mat got on the pedal? Only real logical explenation besides the obvious.

I believe this to be a bit more of a factual based post...as compared to mine, being more speculation :hide:

ewill3rd
06-15-10, 09:32 AM
There are three sensors in the pedal and two in the throttle body.
This is a drive by wire system.
I have never seen nor heard of one sticking and if a sensor failed, as noted it would go into "no power" mode and drive at a crawl.

Me thinks your kid might be using current events to hide the truth also.
Shmidt happens.

deedubb
06-15-10, 10:37 AM
Lol...

CadzillaTN
06-15-10, 11:16 AM
kid+V= wrecked V

PISNUOFF
06-15-10, 11:36 AM
If it did stick, it was stuck under the floor mat. Had that happen to me once when I was 16 after vaccuming the parents car. Didn't wreck, but came very close (it was an automatic). You do have to have the pedal all the way down to get it stuck under there also. So if that is what happened, it wasn't while leisurely driving down the road.

Castro
06-15-10, 12:26 PM
Why would you let your son drive it without you? :cookoo: How bad was the damage?

odla
06-15-10, 02:18 PM
where are the pics?

Baltimore07V
06-15-10, 03:02 PM
The gas may have been stuck to the floor...... and his foot might have been holding it there.

Your best solution is to get him a minivan until he learns how not to keep the pedal stuck on the floor.

toastmn
06-15-10, 03:44 PM
I would hate to be in a full throttle accident in any gear! We need more details on the scenerio...

trhs75
06-19-10, 09:39 PM
Hope he's ok -- my daughter did a little "pedal misapplication" in the garage when she was first learning to drive. I made sure that was out of her system before she started borrowing my V. No problems so far, but probably some occasional "intended" acceleration!

shwartz
09-22-14, 03:34 PM
I had this happen to me after I had it cam and ported with 102mm throttle body at one of the best race shops around. I wont name them because they still havent got the car back to check it. It was also dyno tuned properly. It happen 3 times over the weekend. I was in the mountains driving her when it happen last 2 times. Scared the s---! out of me and my buddy.