: mpg post tune

tonygxp
06-14-10, 09:44 PM
i have a 2010 Yukon Denali. but figured it would help some of you guys contmplating getting a tune by someone..

My friend owns a performance shop here in toms river. I waited to get the tune until i was at 1k mi. So we dynoed the truck (yes, he has an AWD Mustang load bearing Dyno) baseline was like 308/325? after the tune it only picked up about 10hp/12tq. I wasn't impressed with the numbers but.... Driving it was the difference. Between the shift points, less torque management, advanced timing, etc. that he did really woke this truck up it's now an animal..

Now for the best part.. I traveled to New York a few weeks ago with 4 people. I set the cruise at 64mph and saw 18.1mpg there and on the way back i set it at 82mph and saw 15.6mpg. this was a 45mile stint on the garden state pkwy (very hilly/curves).

POST TUNE... same trip on the way up (running late) ran it at 82mph and saw 17.9 there. even with idling in Brooklyn's bumer to bumper traffic for hours it held 14.3, then after the ride back it was 15.1 (i have no doubt that it was running 17.9+ on the way back but i didn't reset the DIC to see what a solid mix would bring). Both pre and post tune were run using 93 octane from the same gas station, HESS. I also noticed a funny anomaly. for a while i slowed to about 76mph and watched the avg fuel economy slowly change to 17.6? I then reset the cruise for 82mph again and the mileage went back to 17.9-18.1??? i know that the cruise was leaned out a bit but i was amazed what a .2 a/f difference made in this thing. i think the 6spd gearing that the truck liked the little higher rpm, more torque at that speed? enough to overcome the small drag increase i guess?

anyway thought i'd share..

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/TonyGXP/DSC05750.jpg

hcvone
06-15-10, 06:30 AM
Good info, my black 10' with custom predator tune, air intake, catback got 18.6 mpg on the trip up to our mountain house and 20.9 on the way back averaging about 75 mph, of course it's always better going down hill, and this truck has just over 1500 miles, so it will get better, very pleased so far even with the 11.5 mpg around town.

krieghoff
06-15-10, 03:48 PM
I don't understand where you guys get the mileage you say you are getting.

My ESV with 6.2 has never got over 10.7 and now it is 10.5!

I pull a 3000# trailer and the ESV gets the same 10.5 with or without the trailer!!!

tonygxp
06-15-10, 06:24 PM

I pull a 3000# trailer and the ESV gets the same 10.5 with or without the trailer!!!

that's ridiculous. do you idle for hours at a time? my work truck is a 2010 CC ram with the 4.7 and it get 11.5 but it idles all day long.

LITTLEELVISDAN
06-15-10, 07:08 PM
That's crazy have your dealer check your stuff out. I pull a double axel enclosed trailer and still average 14.4. What he saw in his first post is exactly what I get in my 09 Lade with AWD 18ish hiway and 15ish city, 14 ish towing mix.

steve841
06-15-10, 10:21 PM
My 09 EXT gets average 10.5 running E85 ... Best @ 55 mph is 16 mph. At 80 it drops to 10.2 mph....

So, its thirsty no matter what. I know that with Premium .. those numbers jump to 12 low to 17 high ... NEVER any better than that ....

IgotGAME
06-15-10, 10:27 PM
I drive about 40 miles to and from work daily..so about 80 miles round trip..mostly around 60-70mph, but do get stuck in traffic for 10-15 mins sometimes. I average about 17-18mpg depending on if I get stuck in traffic a lot or not.

2007 EXT

Pretty much factory engine, no intake upgrade or tuning.

hcvone
06-16-10, 06:03 AM

I get about 10-12 pulling a 7000k trailer, worse in the mountains, and worse in the snow, if I got 10 mpg on the highway I would sell my trucks the same day.

evois
06-21-10, 02:27 PM
I am in vegas now, and guess what my escalade suddenly started getting in terms of mileage? after filling up with chevron premium(91), I started to get 25.3mpg highway all the way to vegas, via hoover dam:) I noticed a way to increase or keep it there is by keeping the needle in the eco mode(duh). now, even when driving in city limits(vegas), it gets me 24.4mpg. but sorry for the car following me as I am keeping it near or at the eco mode:) before that 19city then 20-21 highway with normal driving.

CTSVKINGWAGON
10-16-11, 03:33 PM
i have a 2010 Yukon Denali. but figured it would help some of you guys contmplating getting a tune by someone..

My friend owns a performance shop here in toms river. I waited to get the tune until i was at 1k mi. So we dynoed the truck (yes, he has an AWD Mustang load bearing Dyno) baseline was like 308/325? after the tune it only picked up about 10hp/12tq. I wasn't impressed with the numbers but.... Driving it was the difference. Between the shift points, less torque management, advanced timing, etc. that he did really woke this truck up it's now an animal..

Now for the best part.. I traveled to New York a few weeks ago with 4 people. I set the cruise at 64mph and saw 18.1mpg there and on the way back i set it at 82mph and saw 15.6mpg. this was a 45mile stint on the garden state pkwy (very hilly/curves).

POST TUNE... same trip on the way up (running late) ran it at 82mph and saw 17.9 there. even with idling in Brooklyn's bumer to bumper traffic for hours it held 14.3, then after the ride back it was 15.1 (i have no doubt that it was running 17.9+ on the way back but i didn't reset the DIC to see what a solid mix would bring). Both pre and post tune were run using 93 octane from the same gas station, HESS. I also noticed a funny anomaly. for a while i slowed to about 76mph and watched the avg fuel economy slowly change to 17.6? I then reset the cruise for 82mph again and the mileage went back to 17.9-18.1??? i know that the cruise was leaned out a bit but i was amazed what a .2 a/f difference made in this thing. i think the 6spd gearing that the truck liked the little higher rpm, more torque at that speed? enough to overcome the small drag increase i guess?

anyway thought i'd share..

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/TonyGXP/DSC05750.jpg

Nice color choice. I used to have a Denali XL in Storm Grey. The average was about 14 mpg around town and 12 under spirited driving ;). Now I have the Denali hybrid, and it averages 19 mpg around town and 21 on the highway. Even under spirited driving (not very often) it gets 18 mpg. The differences between the engines (6.0 vs 6.2) are noticeable in the smoothness and noise. The 6.2 used to purrr and it was smooth as butter, but the 6.0 makes a middle-of-the-road noise and it sounds strained above 3000. I miss the 6.2 but the wife drives the car and she wants mpg over hp. :(

Mha
10-16-11, 04:38 PM
I get 19mpg goin 55mpg with 26s. To check I get it up to where I want it the reset the counter. But from a dead stop OMG I have to floor it to even get the d@mn thing going. Over 2000rpm just to get it rolling at a normal speed from a dead stop.

escalade kidd
10-16-11, 04:41 PM
That's crazy have your dealer check your stuff out. I pull a double axel enclosed trailer and still average 14.4. What he saw in his first post is exactly what I get in my 09 Lade with AWD 18ish hiway and 15ish city, 14 ish towing mix. I get the same as Litt...Diablo tune...Sometimes i get 19 on the highway....09 Ext..

ticktock
10-17-11, 01:20 AM
I don't think you can trust the readout from the DIC. Mine shows 15mpg around town, but if I hand calculate it, it's really only getting 12mpg.