: Illuminated entry / Key in ignition buzzer

RJD81
06-14-10, 04:33 PM
The illuminated entry does not work on my 81 Fleetwood Brougham. The interior lights do not come on until the door is opened. My understanding is that they should come on if the door is locked and the button on the door handle is pushed. Also, the key in ignition buzzer does not work. The buzzer does work if the headlight switch is left in the on position when the car is shut off. I am assuming it is the same buzzer that should sound when the key is left in the ignition. I didn't know if the issues were related. Any reccomendtions? Thanks

sven914
06-14-10, 06:15 PM
If the '81's are wired the same as my '89 then the the ignition and headlight warning tones are controlled by the Audio Alarm Module. The illuminated entry problem is probably the door handle switches not functioning. It's odd that none of them work; have you tried the other doors.

My service manual has the diagnostic and repair procedures for both conditions. But because yours is an '81 there might be differences in the circuitry. I recommend you acquire a Cadillac Factory Service Manual. Here is a list of auctions for them on eBay (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=1981+Cadillac+service+manual&_sacat=0&_odkw=1981+Cadillac+fleetwood+Brougham+service+man ual&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=m270).

drmenard
06-14-10, 10:19 PM
My 81 never worked like that... I don't think they had that option till later on..

77CDV
06-15-10, 01:04 AM
My '77 has the illuminated entry system. It was available as far back as 1971 IIRC.

gornati
06-15-10, 06:45 AM
mine 78 have the exact same issue, door lights wont turn on until door is openned, and buzzer only works if lights are left on.

If you find the solution, please let me know...

Bro-Ham
06-15-10, 05:18 PM
illuminated entry system was standard on 1981 Fleetwo0od Brougham.

1980coupe
06-15-10, 10:55 PM
The illuminated entry does not work on my 81 Fleetwood Brougham. The interior lights do not come on until the door is opened. My understanding is that they should come on if the door is locked and the button on the door handle is pushed. Also, the key in ignition buzzer does not work. The buzzer does work if the headlight switch is left in the on position when the car is shut off. I am assuming it is the same buzzer that should sound when the key is left in the ignition. I didn't know if the issues were related. Any reccomendtions? Thanks

regarding your illuminated entry; the controlller/timer went out. You can find this under the left hand speaker but to gain access you have to remove the dash bezel and the chrome ac vent to the left, then you have to remove the wiper and headlight switch so you can have room for your tools. Its held in by a 7mm bolt. Its white in color. I replaced mine and now they work,
on your key in ignition buzzer; first check if your gas gauge work when you turn on key or if your seatbelt chimes when key is in run (not buckeld of course) if operable then it's not your fuse, also the buzzing sound you hear when you open the door and you left your lights on ARE NOT controlled by the same buzzer. The one for the key is in the accessory relay panel to the left of fuse box. The buzzer for the lights is actually a small white almost see thru box/controller mounted just behind the cruise control switch.
What probably went out is the door pin in the door jamb, actually called door jamb switch. Open door leave keys in ignition and by using your finger pull it out, if it sounds then it's just not popping all the way out when door is open, if it does not replace it. I replaced mine as well and it works fine.

If you need any additional help, let me know. Always glad to help out a fellow Caddy owner.