: What's with all the hoses?

water walkin warrior
06-14-10, 01:20 PM
Someone told me I could remove the red circled part in the engine and the catalytic converter and my car would run a lot better, even getting better mileage. Plus he said I could get rid of a lot of the hoses around the engine as well as one of the 4 belts it has. Right now, it looks like one of the hoses had babies and there's hoses all over. lol Is what he's saying true about getting better performance by removing the parts?

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs631.snc3/31683_1371443691030_1379904416_31165891_2141134_n. jpg

Need advice. Leave it alone for best resultsor look into getting the removal done to make it easier to do work on the engine and possibly get better performance? Thanks for your expertise.

Angry Matt
06-14-10, 01:40 PM
That's basically what I did to my '81 and honestly the performance increase wasn't worth bragging about. You definitely will not pass emissions if you start getting involved in the said project. The motor was built with all of that stuff to work in unison with each other and if you don't do it right, it may not run correctly. I removed the egr, air pumps, and the cc carb along with all the vacuum lines and canisters to go with it and yeah it made it peppier, but I don't think the gas mileage is as good as before though. If it runs good and there's no major issue to be fixed by doing what you said, I'd say let it be. Personally, I just wanted to simplify my motor and I hate computers.

sven914
06-14-10, 03:28 PM
Most states don't do emissions testing on cars over twenty five years old, so you should wait another 4 before disabling the AIR system.

Here is the vacuum routing for the 307; maybe putting the snakes back where they live will help with the mess.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3489/1/33720000075_large.jpg

Being that everything on the 307 is governed by vacuum, there really isn't anything you can delete that won't negatively affect another system.

water walkin warrior
06-14-10, 03:44 PM
Thanks Sven. I'm gonna work on getting them home. The diagram should help.

Thanks Matt. I'd love to simplify mine too, but I think I'll wait and just try to fine tune the carb to start with.

Stingroo
06-14-10, 03:47 PM
In the words of Ludacris... If you drive a 307 Brougham...

You've got HOSE in different area codes.

water walkin warrior
06-14-10, 04:26 PM

:rolling: Good one. LOL

Stingroo
06-14-10, 04:41 PM
I try. :D

Ian6
06-14-10, 06:02 PM

LOL

so does length of a vacuum line matter, because maybe if some were longer and routed a better way it wouldnt be so cluttered ya know. like instead of taking a direct shot to where its going take a longer more concealed route?

Stingroo
06-14-10, 06:05 PM
lol I'm actually surprised my joke is getting recognition.

I feel special. :D