: Add the Factory Rear Ent System to 2009 Escalade

09MDLADE
06-14-10, 01:00 AM
Just picked up my '09 Escalade a week ago and have a question about the Rear Entertainment System. I purchased my escalade without the factory rear entertainment system. Is it possible to add the Factory Panasonic Rear Entertainment system? I have the Navigation/CD/DVD/SAT Changer in the front already. Wondering if the wires are already run and if i could just purchase the stock DVD monitor and connect?

Or should i consider aftermarket? I dont want to use an FM Modulator.

thanks in advance!

WaterKing
06-15-10, 12:00 AM
Although I have never seen an Escalade with NAV and no rear entertainment, I do know that they change headliner and make quite a few other changes in EXT's. In your particular case I would consider aftermarket because of larger available screens, lesser cost, and independent operation. Just make sure you get dual channel wireless headsets instead of single channel. Also headrest screens are about the same price and if you get the ones with separate DVD players and game modes you can accommodate a wider age spread of passengers. In either case an aftermarket unit might also solve USB/Ipod/MP3 input issues depending on your year model. If the headrests/overhead have separate inputs you are not as restricted. If you already have USB which it appears you do you can use that for the front without impacting the back. It all depends on your usual or intended passengers. FWIW, I Kinda like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250646357997
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-12-Overhead-LCD-Monitor-DVD-Player-w-Speakers-/250649465051?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5bdf50db
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FLIP-DOWN-OVERHEAD-LCD-CAR-MONITOR-DVD-PLAYER-USB-/320527965115?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa0f49bbb
All of them have bigger screens than OEM and offer more flexibility. The bigger overheads do have a possibility to block the rear view mirror but often less than the larger framed OEM. Make a cardboard template and test it. Headrests lessen arguments but are more susceptible to damage and do little for third row passengers unless installed in the second row as well. Just my thoughts on it. You want to start an intense debate just ask "Help me choose between Headrest or Overhead DVD Players, can't have both".

09MDLADE
06-18-10, 11:23 PM
Great - Thanks for the suggestions and detail.

I would like to use the onboard factory DVD head unit since it is already installed if that is possible... Does anyone know if the wiring harnesses are already in the head liner so i can "hard wire" the unit versus using an FM Modulator? I know the headliner has a different contour and would have to modified or replaced.

Are there headrest monitors that can be driven from the factory DVD player that is already in the head unit?

thank you.

Heath
07-27-10, 08:57 PM
Coastal E Tech has exactly what you are looking for. They have a new A/V cable for getting video OUT of the factory deck to whatever.