: Brake fluid changes for track days

crankedupforit
06-13-10, 10:02 PM
Does everyone go with fresh fluid every track day, or how about 2 track days on a refill? I'm going to Road America in 2 weeks and that track is very fast. Braking is more extreme from the high speeds. I have 1 track day on my fluid at Autobahn last week and will only drive the car about 200 miles between events. I wonder if I really need to change it after every track day even though I do. Also while I'm asking, track day pads should be no thinner than 3/8ths thick....agree???

crankedupforit
06-14-10, 09:20 AM
Bump...come on guys

AAIIIC
06-14-10, 09:34 AM
I just did VIR, and ran the same fluid as I had run at Shenandoah about a month ago. Obviously I bled the brakes (in conjunction with installing my track pads), but I didn't do a complete flush. I think you should be fine.

As for the pad thickness, generally people say you should start the event with at least 1/2 of the friction material on the pads. When you say 3/8", are you talking about the friction material, or the entire thickness of the pad? 3/8" of friction material is probably plenty. 3/8" overall would not be enough. Might not hurt to have a spare set of pads on hand, just in case.

repenttokyo
06-14-10, 11:14 AM
with my Miata, I just bleed, I don't do a complete flush for each track day.

PISNUOFF
06-14-10, 12:11 PM
I at least bleed them every two track days. You want to remove the fluid that was in the high heat area of the calipers.

soflarick
06-14-10, 02:24 PM
Depending on the fluid used, I used to bleed before each event, or every other event. I was running Motul 600 in a Miata I open tracked, and I let the fluid go 2 track events and some street mileage. At the last event the car experienced, the brake pedal felt mushy, so I flushed it while at the track. The fluid that came out was dark. Flushing brought the pedal back.

If the brakes are going to be pushed more at the upcoming event than previous events, it'd be a good idea to at least bleed out the fluid in the calipers and top off the MC with fresh stuff.

3/8" pad thickness may be pushing it for a car like the V. I haven't tracked my car yet, but I think slowing down a 4000 lb car at an OT event is going to work over the pads pretty well.

This is where Speedbleeders come in handy. I bought a full set from Raceshopper.

Change the pads and keep the "old" ones as backups for future use.

What pads you guys running? I recently received a set of ET500s with a purchase of RB front rotors. Haven't installed them yet.

PISNUOFF
06-14-10, 02:46 PM
My standard on the track is Carbotech XP12's up front and XP10's on the rear. For the street I use Hawk XPS fronts and stock rear pads.

The minimum pad thickness depends on how the pad is assembled. There are rivets in my carbotechs that protrude about 3/16" into the pad material. If you simply look at the edge of the pads you'll never know you are about to start digging into your rotors. For comparison, the stock pads can be worn down to the metal backing plates (just be sure you check the driver's side inner pad for the most wear).

crankedupforit
06-14-10, 02:57 PM
I just did VIR, and ran the same fluid as I had run at Shenandoah about a month ago. Obviously I bled the brakes (in conjunction with installing my track pads), but I didn't do a complete flush. I think you should be fine.

As for the pad thickness, generally people say you should start the event with at least 1/2 of the friction material on the pads. When you say 3/8", are you talking about the friction material, or the entire thickness of the pad? 3/8" of friction material is probably plenty. 3/8" overall would not be enough. Might not hurt to have a spare set of pads on hand, just in case.

How did VIR go? The clutch working out OK?

crankedupforit
06-14-10, 03:10 PM
What pads you guys running? I recently received a set of ET500s with a purchase of RB front rotors. Haven't installed them yet.

I'm running HP+ and Yoko AD08s. If I run track pads it will be with track tires only, so this is probably the way I will go for awhile. The HP+ are relatively cheap and the Carbo Techs need a rotor turn before you use them so this makes the most sense to me right know.

AAIIIC
06-14-10, 05:44 PM
This is where Speedbleeders come in handy. I bought a full set from Raceshopper.
Tried those for a day last week. Installed them Thursday. Friday took the car out of the garage and went to park on the street and as I came to a stop my foot gradually went to the floor. Pulled the car back into the garage and checked each corner. I had to torque the shit out of them to keep them from bleeding. Drove to VIR that afternoon, and re-installed the stock bleeders when I got down there and installed my track pads. Anyone want some Speedbleeders, cheap? :rolleyes:

How did VIR go? The clutch working out OK?
Went very well. Writeup and vids to follow. Clutch is working very well, no issues at all.