: electrical connection cleaning

thurstb
06-12-10, 05:28 AM
Going to detail my 307 soon and was wondering what would be the best product to use to clean around electrical connections...or should I leave them alone?

sven914
06-12-10, 02:52 PM
I use Armor All Cleaning wipes to get the surface grime off the reachable parts (anything that I can't reach, I don't worry about). Then I use Armor All Protectant wipes on the rubber and plastic areas to give them a nice shine. The engine is the only place I use Armor All, and that's because the wipes are easier to use in tight places.

To clean inside the actual connections, I use WD40 to washout the filth.

deVille33
06-14-10, 09:14 AM
To clean the contacts, use an aerosol contact cleaner and if there is heavy corrosion, use a jewel file or a nail file. You could go a step further and remove the contacts from the holders and use a small propane torch and Nocorode.

water walkin warrior
06-14-10, 11:13 AM
I was just talking with a guy at an auto parts store this weekend about this. He said on older cars, he will occasionally undo the connection and clean it with a small soft bristle brush (like a baby bottle cleaner I assume) and spray it with a cleaner then reconnect. He said that usually it will improve the performance of whatever the connection is for.

thurstb
06-18-10, 10:48 PM
Cool, thanks guys! I detailed the engine but haven't messed with the electrical connections yet. I do have to check out the wiper motor/pump. delay and mist not working and washer pump not running either. looks like I can get most of the parts from Autozone if needed and shouldn't be too expensive...about 60 bucks. Also, I have some sort of electrical gremlin in driver door with the power mirror control and courtesy light...all other switches on the door work...any ideas?

thurstb
06-18-10, 10:55 PM
Oh, and btw... when I cleaned the engine, I used plastic shopping bags and saran wrap to cover ALL of the electrical connections. It didn't take too long...just a little tedious.

vincentboyle
09-28-10, 05:08 PM
aye, Armor cleaning it is!

HUF
09-28-10, 07:23 PM
My washer pump was replaced twice before I realized it was a bad connection. Only after disconnecting/reconnecting TEN times it cleaned itself up and worked.