: Headlight Flashing

WaterKing
06-12-10, 12:52 AM
I have noticed that you cannot flash the high beams (or low beams for that matter) by pulling the high beam control on the directional stick towards you UNLESS you have the headlight switch in the manual ON position. When it is in that position you can flash the headlights or hold the high beams on as long as you hold the stick towards you. I use AUTO 99% of the time so essentially lose headlight flashing unless I go through the procedure to turn the headlights on manually. Since flashing is a common technique used in this area for various things both during the day and night, I would like to make it available at any time. Also in AUTO the high beams go out below 20MPH and a way to quick flash the high beams could same a deer's life and my front end. The only street lights here are around the jail and the mayor's house. Does anyone know of an easy method to do this....I am lazy driver, but willing to make wiring changes to support that laziness.

zach2011
06-12-10, 01:52 AM
Are you sure that you can't flash because of your headlight change? Ours has the flashing feature even on auto, as well as our previous 07 ESV.

buckeyefan007
06-12-10, 02:21 AM
I believe that these trucks are not equipped with the "flash to pass" option due to the Bi Xenon HID Headlights. It's one bulb that is divided in half by a strip, so when the High beams is activated it lifts up letting the entire bulb shoot forward. Flash to pass will damage the bulb I believe.

hcvone
06-12-10, 06:24 AM
On cars/trucks with HID lowbeams and highbeams there is no flash to pass, doing this to HID bulbs will ruin them and the ballasts in no time. My Benz has a third set of bulbs that are halogen just for flash to pass because of hi and low HID's, our trucks have nothing like that. My 2003 Escalade had flash to pass because they did not have HID highbeams back then.

WaterKing
06-12-10, 10:43 AM
The owner's manual for both the 2007 and my electrical virgin 2008 say Flash to pass should work even in auto...Neither of mine will work unless I have the headlight switch in Manual on. I thought it might be that 20mph threshold, so tested it driving as well but the guy running alongside to observe pooped out before the threshold was reached. If Pass to Flash is working in Auto it does not activate the high beam indicator in the dash which the owner's manual says will come on or the threshold is higher than the speed I tested it at (0-60). The owner's manual has been wrong many times in the past which is why I brought this up on the forum. I have no doubt that quick flashing of HIDs is a probable cause of early death because I had already had the right headlight HID and ballast on the 2008 replaced under warranty. Since the 2007 has been changed to LED and electrically modified, I have fewer concerns about changing the wiring on it to accommodate easier flashing.

evil0ne
06-12-10, 10:56 AM
Flash to pass works if the headlights are on at any speed. If you're in Auto and its daytime it won't do a thing. If you're in auto at night time it will turn the high beam for exactly the reason hcvone stated.

zach2011
06-12-10, 11:15 AM
I still don't get why yours wouldn't do it, the only thing I can think of is because you put those LED headlights on it which originally were not even compatible with 2007 models.

Our Escalade has the pass to flash feature, and shows the high beam indicator on the dash when using it, even when set to auto. I went out in the garage and tried it last night right before I posted my first response here.

WaterKing
06-12-10, 01:59 PM
I have been doing my testing/usage during the day....I rarely drive at night. You guys are probably right about the Flash to pass operates in the dark. I will check that tonight. If it also works for you guys during the day when the DLR's are on then my unmessed with 2008 has a problem. After testing Both vehicles for about 20 cycles they operate identically i.e. NO Flash to pass or high beam indicator when the stalk is pulled or pushed on during the daylight when the ambient light sensor has the dash on bright unless the headlight switch is in the manual ON position. Cover the light sensor up and a few seconds later the dash dims and miraculously Flash to pass works in both Auto and manual headlight positions. If this is not proper operation will have to get the 2008 in for warranty work. The high beam indicator is activated by the BCM by serial data signal to the dash when the BCM sends the ground to the Hi beam relay to activate them. Theoretically, if the high beam signal did not show the lights did not come on....I tried using a mirror in the front but it was too hard to tell so switched over to the side of the house and did all the testing that way. I hope both of mine are operating improperly because I really do want to be able to do Flash to Pass during the day without having to turn on the headlights manually. I could throw something over the Ambient light sensor but its built in delay negates its usefulness.

hcvone
06-13-10, 07:15 AM
Flash to pass is not a night time feature, you are not getting flash to pass at night, you are simply turning on and off the highbeams. Flash to pass is a daytime feature first on the autoban telling people to get out of the way. Yes the 07's owners manual does say there is flash to pass option, but as many of us know many things in the owners manual are not updated or corrected. As I said HID's can not have flash to pass. :)

WaterKing
06-13-10, 03:31 PM
I guess they can say the book is technically correct because of the the export and halogen equipped models.

So if I read through this thread properly, FLASH to PASS does NOT exist on HID equipped Escalades. It may APPEAR to work at night and when the Light switch is ON because it is simply energizing the bright lights on an ALREADY energized low beam HID. BUT that is Technically NOT "Flash to Pass" because that requires ability to flash headlights during the day without the headlights being on beforehand and doing this could damage the HID.

If I have misinterpreted someone please correct me.

I am interested because the LED headlights have separate LEDs for high beam and should not be limited by this HID restriction. I should be able to figure a work around for the BCM logic if this is true and get a True Flash to Pass. Platinum's may already have this software logic change in the BCM but since I don't have one and haven't changed to a 2009 Platinum BCM (different part number from regular Escalades) YET I do not know if they actually made that change. Maybe a Platinum owner could try it and provide us with the results.

CaddyThings
06-15-10, 07:28 PM
I have noticed that you cannot flash the high beams (or low beams for that matter) by pulling the high beam control on the directional stick towards you UNLESS you have the headlight switch in the manual ON position. When it is in that position you can flash the HID kits (http://electronicfiend.com/hid-kits/) or hold the high beams on as long as you hold the stick towards you. I use AUTO 99% of the time so essentially lose headlight flashing unless I go through the procedure to turn the headlights on manually. Since flashing is a common technique used in this area for various things both during the day and night, I would like to make it available at any time. Also in AUTO the high beams go out below 20MPH and a way to quick flash the high beams could same a deer's life and my front end. The only street lights here are around the jail and the mayor's house. Does anyone know of an easy method to do this....I am lazy driver, but willing to make wiring changes to support that laziness.

Hmm, I never knew these.