: Hit a dog :( First few scratches on my ride

Houdini
06-11-10, 05:44 PM
Well I hit a dog today driving through my own neighborhood. I was cuisin in 2nd maybe 25 mph and a big, older, brown lab just darted right out in front of me as fast as it could move with it's owners standing right outside their house. They saw the entire thing happen. Thank god for these awesome breaks but it wasn't enough... BAM! I hit the dog hard on the passenger side front bumper and the dog went slightly under the front of the car and then bounced/ran away. I'm sure the dog was injured some but it ran off. I get out and run over to the owner and the dog to make sure it was ok. Then I look at my car and there are two good sized scratches on the bumper. In shock, the owner starts telling me I was going a tad too fast (I thought ohh no, here we go). I told him I wasn't speeding and was going 25. He says no I think you were going too fast. We argue very calmy a tad more and he says, "well if you want to file an accident report I can go in and call the police right now but I've been through this before and you're not going to win. I'm going to tell them you were going to fast." I tell him that he has to say what he has to say but that I wasn't speeding and that I don't go driving fast through my own neighborhood. He then realizes I live just down the street and starts to calm down a bit. I tell him that just because the car is loud in second gear doesn't mean I'm going fast and it was at most 25 mph. At this point I sympathize with the owner a bit because I'm sure when you see your dog hit by a car at 20-25 mph it doesn't look slow at all. After stepping a way a bit (I presume to go call the police) he comes back and apologizes for reacting in a negative way and I tell him no sweat and that I'm just glad the dog bouced up. He says he doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars to fix a couple scratches but that he was willing to help out with repair cost maybe $100 or so. He says he feels partly to blame (pfff, I know he is 100% to blame for not controlling his dog but things like this happen). I agree that it would be cool if he covered $100 or so and that I'll try to find a shop to get it fixed cheap. He gives me his name and number and I move on down the road. On the way to my house I shift to 2nd and it pops out of gear after releasing the clutch. I hope it was just that I was still a bit upset and didn't fully shift to second all the way. I guess I need to take it out for a drive and make sure nothing is wrong with the tranny and/or clutch.

Anyway, for those of you that have had a few scatches repaired/repainted on the front bumper, what does that cost on average? I know I'm probably going to be out money on this but I want to get it fixed. One scratch is horizontal about 5 inches or more and it is very minor (mostly a clear coat scratch as it still looks the same color as the paint). The other scratch is verticle about 4-5 inches and it is much deeer (a paint scratch) and looks black underneath. I can't tell if it is a crack or just a scratch. When I push on the area (with enough force to bow in the plastic bumper) I notice the scratch/crack appears to seal up a bit. I guess it could be an actual crack. What do you guys think? What does something like that cost to repair? Can they just fill/paint over that? It doesn't look like a huge gap crack, more like a decent scratch.

What a mess. I just hope the dog is ok but it sux for my car too. I'm almost afraid to take it to the dealer for an estimate (they'll charge and arm and a leg).

Any thoughts are welcome and thanks in advance!

deedubb
06-11-10, 05:48 PM
That sucks, I sympathize for both sides here. Perhaps had the dog been on a leash or in a fenced yard, this all could have been avoided regardless of the speed of the drivers on the street. The only real loser here is the dog poor fella.

heavymetals
06-11-10, 05:59 PM
I would file a report that he is letting his dog run loose through the neighborhood.

BS on offering to pay for part of it.

Castro
06-11-10, 06:02 PM
Glad the dog's ok. It shouldn't be expensive or difficult at all from the sound of it. A good detailer can get that out cheap, this is a good opportunity for a full detailing anyway. I've seen full out tears in a plastic bumper (Chrysler 300C) fixed by a body shop for cheap using a heat gun, a scratch should be no problem. Don't sweat it, $100 should cover most of the expense depending on where you go.

Castro
06-11-10, 06:05 PM
Oh and of course :postpics:

Houdini
06-11-10, 06:33 PM
Only have a crappy cell phone camera now without flash .... you guys would proabably laugh at the small scratches anyway. The 4-5 incher is looking more like an actual crack now :(.

I knew I should have put a clear bra on this thing the day I got it. There wasn't a single scratch or rock chip on the entire front of the car. At least now, after it is fixed and all cleaned up, I'll do the clear bra.

Roidz24
06-11-10, 06:42 PM
I would file a report that he is letting his dog run loose through the neighborhood.

BS on offering to pay for part of it.

^ I agree with him...

Houdini
06-11-10, 06:54 PM
Man I feel so bad for the dog but I'm starting to think I should have let him call the police to do a report. The police would probably laugh at the scratches/crack but still...I don't think I should be out money since he didn't control his dog. His dog was not on a leash in their front yard facing the street and it just darted right out at full speed. It was totally his responsibility and I wasn't going even a little bit over the speed limit even though he thought so.

deedubb
06-11-10, 07:16 PM
Yeah man, speed would have been his word against yours...no evidence. If any laws were violated were leash laws (if you have those there)...and damage occurred due to them being violated. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Mystical_Ice
06-11-10, 07:43 PM
just wanted to remind you, that you should not get a clear bra put on for at least 30 days (some places say 90 days) after getting the bumper repainted, as the paint needs to breathe, and if you don't let it, it will start bubbling.

whisler151
06-11-10, 07:59 PM
Sorry about the incident. This is exactly why I run a forward looking camera in my car. The camera has an angle on the speedo as well as a good view out the front. It's come into play a few times. You cant argue with the actual footage.

Hope your scratches come out.

Houdini
06-11-10, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the tip Mystical. I didn't know that but would have done tons of research before I actually purchase the clear bra.

It turns out it is a crack in the bumper and the other scratch will proabably come out. I have an appointment at a collision place a mile from my house on monday night...we shall see what the damage is.

kjr6306
06-12-10, 12:24 AM
Call and file a polce report. My guess is those are cracks in your bumper not scratches and they are expensive to fix. You may have to sue the guy in small claims court to get yor money since obviously this isn't covered by his auto insurance. Your comprehensive insurance may also cover it if you tell them you hit a stray dog. Might be the way to go if you don't have a huge deductable. Usually a comp claim doesn't go against you so your insurance shouldn't go up....

Mystical_Ice
06-12-10, 01:57 AM
Sorry about the incident. This is exactly why I run a forward looking camera in my car. The camera has an angle on the speedo as well as a good view out the front. It's come into play a few times. You cant argue with the actual footage.

Hope your scratches come out.

curious what camera you run, what software records it, etc. i've always mused about having one...

rand49er
06-12-10, 11:44 AM
Wow ... sorry to hear about this from everybody's perspective.

The neighbor's first reaction that you were going too fast is wrong ... he didn't control his dog. What if you'd been going 5 MPH and hit the dog? Bottomline: he did not control his dog, and he's at fault and didn't man up to it.

However, he's a neighbor, and you've got to live near him and presumably "get along" like neighbors are suppose to. His reputation in the neighborhood (lets his dog run around, quick to react and not accept responsibility) and your reputation (drives a loud Caddy, but shows sympathy and responsible behavior about hitting the dog) may all come into play with the neighbors whose judgment may be more meaningful in the long run than a couple of hundred bucks will now.

Good luck with this ... :helpless: ... I sympathize with you.

Ferny
06-12-10, 01:23 PM
poor V, oh, and dog too..lol...man, my dog is soo good and he is a pit bull. when i open the gate to drive my car out i dont have to tie him up, but i know that if he runs out and gets hit or ran over, its my fault. i think that guy is full of it. anyways, if you re-do the whole bumper its gonna run you over $500 unless you know someone who does that kind of work, either way, good luck bro. thats a shity situation

VforMe
06-12-10, 01:31 PM
F all that. If your car ran up in his yard and hit his dog he wouldn't have accepted a hundred bucks to cover the vet bills. I hope he doesn't have kids given his level of responsibility. I hate people who speed through residential areas but I hate even more people who act like a street in a neighborhood is any different than a major highway. It's a street it's meant for cars not a playground for your kids or dog or hamster or whatever. I hope he reconsiders his level of responsibility in this matter, if he doesn't I would brush up on some Judge Judy episodes and head to small claims court.

Houdini
06-14-10, 08:36 PM
Well tonight I finally settled on a quality place to get her fixed and the damn bill is going to be just under $700 if they don't go over the estimate....BRUTAL! Their cost to replace the whole thing was crazy so I didn't go that route. To fix my bumper cover correctly, they said they need to remove the bumper to fix/support the crack on the back side as well. They said that if they didn't, it would just recrack at high speeds or a high pressure car wash. I'll have her back Friday at the latest.

For $799 plus $85 shipping I could have ordered a brand new oem painted bumper from ebay but I wasn't sure about the quality and would have to wait a long time to get it. I hope I made the right decision.

I doubt I'll end up getting more than $100 out of that neighbor. This BLOWS! hahah..live and learn... I just demand lube next time.

rand49er
06-14-10, 11:19 PM
Dang! THAT is a chunk of change! :thehand:

It would be nice if that neighbor somehow was told about what his inability to control his dog cost you. Problem is, I can't think of a tactful way to do it. :mad:

Dang!

JimmyH
06-14-10, 11:55 PM
F all that. If your car ran up in his yard and hit his dog he wouldn't have accepted a hundred bucks to cover the vet bills. I hope he doesn't have kids given his level of responsibility. I hate people who speed through residential areas but I hate even more people who act like a street in a neighborhood is any different than a major highway. It's a street it's meant for cars not a playground for your kids or dog or hamster or whatever. I hope he reconsiders his level of responsibility in this matter, if he doesn't I would brush up on some Judge Judy episodes and head to small claims court.

it's utterly impossible to watch your kids 100% of the time. and no, a residential street is not the same as a highway. for me, it's the kids on quads tearing it up around the neighborhood that scares me. they don't stay on the streets or the trails.

still, a dog takes off ALOT faster than a toddler, and I agree, that's why there are leash laws. I was walking my aunt's dog once (on a leash) when another dog, not on a leash, came running at him, fangs bared, neck hair fully erect. I had to kick him in the jaw, and the owner had the nerve to yell at me.

but shit happens. this one was minor as things go. be glad it was a dog that ran out in front of your car and not a kid.

cvettr/cts-v
06-15-10, 12:34 PM
It sucks this happened but all were lucky that there were no injuries. I feel you should have called the police as he should have been ticketed for not having the dog on a leash. I would get it fixed go to his house with the final bill and an estimate for the replacement of the bumper showing him you went the cheaper route. Then if he does not feel compelled to offer more, he is a piece of crap for a person and I'd take the hundred as previously agreed on and leave on a good note. Then call animal control everytime you drive by his house and that dog is out and not on a leash.

smoothmarine187
06-16-10, 10:21 AM
Probably not much you can do now but you should have definitely filed a police report, especially once the owner started acting like an ass and said that you were speeding. I don't know how you kept your cool, I would have blown up on his dumb ass.

Houdini
06-16-10, 08:26 PM
I hear ya... not sure how I kept my cool either. I guess I've grown.

Anyway, got the car back already today! She looks as good or better than new. Paint appears to be a perfect match and the entire bumper appears new (not a single rock chip). Final bill was a hair under $700 and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

I'm glad I went with a quality shop to get it fixed correctly. Collision plus was the shop (they have 4 locations around the st. louis metro-east area). They didn't even take my car out and beat on it! :) G sensors were still the same, and the NAV tracking showed nothing. It was driven under a mile. Can't beat that! hahaha. The manager told me they had a similar V in there a month ago and it had over 20 grand worth of front end damage. He said the insurance company paid to get it all fixed and it came out perfect. WOW!

I guess I'll give the dog owner a call tomorrow and see what I can get him to pay.... wish me luck!

Castro
06-17-10, 11:05 AM
WOAH sorry to hear that man that is outrageous. I had my entire bumper replaced for around $500 at the dealer. I asked the guy with the 300C repairs and he said the shop did 2 tears (all the way through the plastic, around 3" long each and jagged) for a couple hundo. Then again I'm in central PA at the moment. Glad it's perfect again though that's always a great feeling.

Houdini
06-17-10, 12:21 PM
The dealer replaced yours with a brand new bumper and painted for $500?

JimmyH
06-17-10, 02:27 PM
The manager told me they had a similar V in there a month ago and it had over 20 grand worth of front end damage. He said the insurance company paid to get it all fixed and it came out perfect. WOW!

The owner's name wasn't urban was it? :ill:

Houdini
06-17-10, 03:23 PM
Either I'm missing a joke or you're asking a serious question. I didn't get the name of the previous owner.

cvettr/cts-v
06-17-10, 04:54 PM
Either I'm missing a joke or you're asking a serious question. I didn't get the name of the previous owner.

I believe he is refering to an old member urbanski refered to as urby, urban, etc..., that had bad luck keeping his v's in 1 piece. IIRC he wrecked one before leaving the dealers lot or just off the lot.

Castro
06-17-10, 04:56 PM
The dealer replaced yours with a brand new bumper and painted for $500?

Nope it was reconditioned, new was several hundred more. Perfect condition tho it looks brand new. I had the wave under the headlight, and rammed my washing machine but that's another story.

JimmyH
06-17-10, 08:06 PM

what cvettr said. I thought you were around during the reign of urby and all the ribbing he took.