: The Difference is Night & Day

SS from the "Wood"
06-11-10, 04:29 PM
So I had a pretty good Wednesday this week... no, me and the wife didn't go to Bed Bath and Beyond, and there certainly was no time for Home Depot... what did take place however, was the installation of my Creative Steel Ultra Mounts!!! :worship:

First, an enormous thanks goes out to Max & Kristy for their... shall we say, creativity? LOL! IMO, these should be the 1st mod a newbie adds to their V's arsenal!

Second, the over payed bozos at GM have got to be on the :alchi: as this was no picnic. 1 more inch of clearance/accessability, and this would've been a much easier task. For their techs and us DIY's! Oh well... it's done.

I spent almost 7 hrs (on my back) underneath the car, but when I lit up the street afterwards, and a smile consumed my face, it was worth it! I can only begin to imagine how she'll feel next week after the new Monster Stg. 2 clutch kit w/ lightweight FW goes in along w/ the soft tranny mount and new fluid. The car shifts better (even w/ stock setup), feels positive, and is more responsive now! Best of all, no clunk! This is just another testament to that very fact.

Third, I don't think I could've done this at all w/o the write up done by PlatinumCavette. Local shops wanted $600+ for this install, and I know why firsthand, so thanks for sharing this info! For anyone on the fence about doing this mod themselves vs. paying to have it done, read his thread... :thumbsup:

A sidenote to fellow Houstonian & V owner, maxpenmatt, if you still have a modded shifter up for grabs, I'll take it now. I plan to do clutch install this coming Thursday, and would like to add shifter too. Email or call me smstem6@comcast.net or 281-813-9788.

Thanks again to all,
Shannon

thebigjimsho
06-11-10, 04:44 PM
crank call tiem!!

SS from the "Wood"
06-11-10, 05:01 PM
haha... you said crank!

CadzillaTN
06-11-10, 07:41 PM
ss, good to hear! how many hours would a lift hae shaved off istall time? also which color mounts?

whisler151
06-11-10, 08:03 PM
Great to hear. I'm getting the CS black mounts put in on the 22nd. Cant wait to feel the difference.

Good luck with the Monster Clutch. Luckily for me Monster is my local performance shop...ha ha!

You will love the level 2!

SS from the "Wood"
06-11-10, 08:41 PM
ss, good to hear! how many hours would a lift hae shaved off istall time? also which color mounts?

I doubt much, as it's not like I took breaks in between due to discomfort... I knew I just had to get it done! I went w/ the gray mounts, as these were the ones reco'd for those w/ the occasional lead foot :D

Great to hear. I'm getting the CS black mounts put in on the 22nd. Cant wait to feel the difference.

Good luck with the Monster Clutch. Luckily for me Monster is my local performance shop...ha ha!

You will love the level 2!

I'm really stoked about how it's gonna turn out... I've got a bad throwout bearing now, and the vibes through the clutch are felt more now that I'm sitting on solid mounts! I'll soon have the recipe complete: MM's, tranny mounts, bad@$$ clutch w/ light FW, shifter w/ bushings (hopefully, c'mon Matt!) Sprinkle in some extra HP next year sometime, and voila:cloud9:

ahahnu
06-11-10, 09:37 PM
Hey Frank, I thought you were supposed to keep it on the down low. The Red Dragon isn't exactly "street legal!" Lmao!

I have UUC motor mounts, and it is night and day. I saw them being installed, and holy hell, I give you credit.

SS from the "Wood"
06-12-10, 01:45 PM
I have noticed that these solid mounts are causing RPM's to drop down to about 500 when I'm turning, stopping abruptly, etc. I feel like I can attribute this to the bad throwout bearing, but won't know for sure until I replace clutch assembly next week. Does anyone know if this is normal w/ solid mounts?

SS from the "Wood"
06-13-10, 11:34 PM
bump... could someone tell me if what i'm feeling here is normal?