: Headlight Condensation

Cataract
06-11-10, 01:15 PM
Left my V outside overnight when it rained this last week.. then we've had some hot days. Both headlights have condensation all over inside! Whats with this? Its been a couple days now and only one is nearly cleared up, the other still has a lot.. Ohh and pics below..

Anyone else have this problem? Do you think the seal is bad? I am going into the Stealer next week, so Ill have them look at it I guess..

rodehard
06-11-10, 01:36 PM
I get that too on one headlight only. Let us know what the dealer says.

MiamiV
06-11-10, 03:20 PM
Good luck. I had one fogged up for 3 weeks and finnally after enough bit*$ing they replace one. but hasnt happend since

VforVictory
06-11-10, 09:55 PM
I have had that problem before, you can:
A) Go through the long process of removing the headlight and putting silicon around the headlight housing once the headlight drys out.
B) If the vehicle is under factory warranty make enough fuss and cadillac will replace it.
C) Buy refurbished headlights that have been resealed.
If you do choose to remove the headlight and use silicon there is a good video on youtube that shows you how.

ray901537
06-12-10, 08:43 PM
I had the same thing happen to me, i just took it to the dealership and they swapped it out same day no questions asked. :)

EChas3
06-12-10, 08:47 PM
When talking to to service writer, use the term 'excessive condensation'. It shouldn't matter (it's a defective design) but it can help to make the point.

MacMuse
06-13-10, 09:19 AM
Bring those pictures with you and you won't have any trouble.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-14-10, 03:05 PM
I would have to suggest that you have your vehicle looked at by your local dealership. You are within the warranty on time but if you are out of the warranty on mileage it may be something that would still be able to be covered. If they are unable to fix the issue please feel free to come back and contact me and I will see what I can do for you. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Cataract
06-14-10, 03:30 PM
Great, thanks for the help/advise guys! I will let you know once I get back from the dealer.

CaddyThings
06-15-10, 07:24 PM
Left my V outside overnight when it rained this last week.. then we've had some hot days. Both HID headlights (http://electronicfiend.com/hid-kits/) have condensation all over inside! Whats with this? Its been a couple days now and only one is nearly cleared up, the other still has a lot.. Ohh and pics below..

Anyone else have this problem? Do you think the seal is bad? I am going into the Stealer next week, so Ill have them look at it I guess..

Man that sucks, but hopefully the warranty does fix the problem.

Cataract
06-25-10, 04:50 PM
Ok, so I had my car in at Patrick Cadillac the last couple days and now am finally getting it back. My service rep claims that condensation is normal "GM will replace it if there is water filling up inside," not condensation. She claimed that it dries up when the headlights are on.. even though it hadn't for the two weeks before my service appt. She says they are all dry now, after sitting in the shop.

So I guess I will just send it back if it happens again. Maybe they sealed it while in the shop and didn't tell me to avoid the headlight replacement? HA. I will definitely be contacting Jeff if it happens again, this shouldnt be happening on an $80k car thats still under warranty!

Cataract
06-25-10, 06:01 PM
Update. She said that if the problem persists we can work something out with her manager..

ssstealth
06-25-10, 06:29 PM
Mine did the same thing after being parked at the airport for a week. It was probably the only time since I bought it that it was left out in the rain. The dealer replaced both lights... no questions asked.

fast_lane10
06-26-10, 11:08 AM
I noticed the same on mine and thought of it as no big deal but now that i came across this thread I will try my luck with the dealer too, and this weekend seems to be nice weather for get "excessive condensation" :)

chitownv
07-11-10, 03:57 PM
Ok, so I had my car in at Patrick Cadillac the last couple days and now am finally getting it back. My service rep claims that condensation is normal "GM will replace it if there is water filling up inside," not condensation. She claimed that it dries up when the headlights are on.. even though it hadn't for the two weeks before my service appt. She says they are all dry now, after sitting in the shop.

So I guess I will just send it back if it happens again. Maybe they sealed it while in the shop and didn't tell me to avoid the headlight replacement? HA. I will definitely be contacting Jeff if it happens again, this shouldnt be happening on an $80k car thats still under warranty!

I brought my car into Patrick cadillac for service and it was a nightmare !

Try going to a different cadilac dealer for service.

chitownv
07-11-10, 03:57 PM

I brought my car into Patrick cadillac for service and it was a nightmare !

Try going to a different cadillac dealer for service.

Gary Wells
07-11-10, 09:34 PM

Let's see here, water condensation inside your headlight(s) for 2 weeks even though you had the headlights on during at least part of that time.
And it only took sitting inside the shop 2 days. Heat gun or heat lamp, do you suppose?
And no, IMHO, this should not be happening on a $80K *car*. Nor a $70K *car*, nor a $60K *car*.

fast_lane10
07-11-10, 09:35 PM
I have been to Steve Foley twice and they seem to be nice.... and I am planning to check with them about condensation ... let's see how nice they are ?

Cataract
07-12-10, 12:02 PM
I'll try Foley next time. I also had a "service airbag" light that keeps coming up. She fed me some BS about a sensor probably being the problem caused by the battery dying (when I first bought it they had to jump the battery because it was sitting in the lot for so long). I am guessing they didnt want to open the airbag up to fix it and I was in a rush to get outa there so I just left.. lazy. I will definitely have Foley look at that too.

Let's see here, water condensation inside your headlight(s) for 2 weeks even though you had the headlights on during at least part of that time.
And it only took sitting inside the shop 2 days. Heat gun or heat lamp, do you suppose?
And no, IMHO, this should not be happening on a $80K *car*. Nor a $70K *car*, nor a $60K *car*.

Yea, I bet they pulled out the bulbs to dry it or did something. I am hoping they didnt drill holes hah.

CIWS
07-12-10, 12:51 PM
I see once in a great while, usually after the car is washed and the humidity is up outside. As long as the humidity stays so does the condensation in the lights (left side is worse than the right). Once it drops down the condensation goes quickly too.

It is a known issue on the STS/STS-V Some dealerships will replace the lights once for the problem. Almost all cars no matter their cost have issues within certain models, this is one of ours.

Pjazz
07-12-10, 03:25 PM
Just had mine replaced on the passenger side. Mine has been fogged up for about 3 weeks. Dealer replaced no problem.

LITTLEELVISDAN
07-12-10, 09:30 PM
The headlights come as 1 complete unit. That means balast and bulbs. $1,000 per. I know. My dealer broke my DRL housing and wouldn't admit it even though they just replaced that DRL. THEY DOUBLE STICKIED IT IN with some black gummy looking tape.

Hennesy Cadillac Gwinnett GA

That's in case they search the Internet for their name. This thread will come up. ;-)

Pjazz
07-13-10, 01:37 PM
I wonder would this problem have something to do with the head lamp washer?

Bee iLL
07-14-10, 01:51 PM
Update. She said that if the problem persists we can work something out with her manager..

Was your service advisor named Rose? I'm still waiting to hear back from her and Patrick about some chrome trim pieces that fell off my 2010 SRX and they were suppose to order... Going on over a month now. I know the part was back ordered, but come on, no status updates until I call to find out what is going on? I have always had issues with Patrick, which is why I no longer bring my vehicle there for ANY mechanical issues. Only reason I use them at all is because they are so close to my house. I don't even buy my Cadillac's from them.

Cataract
07-14-10, 05:05 PM
It was Rose! Definitely not too hard on the eyes.. but she seems like shes always rushing, too busy. I had dealt with Mike before, who seemed pretty knowledgeable and had owned a 1st gen cts-v. But he got bumped up to Patrick BMW.

I work near Patrick, so I go out of convenience as well.

CIWS
07-15-10, 09:24 AM
I wonder would this problem have something to do with the head lamp washer?

It's external so I don't see how. Plus the times it's occurred to me I haven't used the washer, but the car has been washed.

MacMuse
07-15-10, 10:09 AM
Dang, Rose took good care of me (OK, my car) a couple months ago, but everything was under CPO so no cost to me.

Cataract
07-15-10, 12:13 PM
It's external so I don't see how. Plus the times it's occurred to me I haven't used the washer, but the car has been washed.

Yea, mine was from parking overnight outside when it rained. Speaking of headlamp washers.. how do they work? I havent seen mine come on ever.

coati
07-15-10, 01:43 PM
Yea, mine was from parking overnight outside when it rained. Speaking of headlamp washers.. how do they work? I havent seen mine come on ever.

Here's a video of it in action!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=motGYc5w2as

CIWS
07-15-10, 01:43 PM

Engage your windshield washer with the lights on and they should pop out and spray the headlights.
Personally don't care for it as sometimes my headlights are on and all I want to do is clean off the windshield and not get the front end of the car wet. :)

Pjazz
07-17-10, 08:22 AM
Here's a video of it in action!:D

YouTube- r2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=motGYc5w2as):histeric: I didn't know I had a R2 unit in my car.

rodehard
08-12-10, 04:07 PM
I have had that problem before, you can:
A) Go through the long process of removing the headlight and putting silicon around the headlight housing once the headlight drys out.
B) If the vehicle is under factory warranty make enough fuss and cadillac will replace it.
C) Buy refurbished headlights that have been resealed.
If you do choose to remove the headlight and use silicon there is a good video on youtube that shows you how.

I have a 2006 that is out of warranty. Where do I find the refurbished and resealed headlight assemblies and how do I get to the youtube DIY video?

eatyoursandwich
05-16-12, 02:59 PM
I have a 2006 that is out of warranty. Where do I find the refurbished and resealed headlight assemblies and how do I get to the youtube DIY video?

Refurbished headlight assemblies: eBay

Sorry to dig up and old thread, but after about a month or constant rain, I still have no condensation.

1) This is the most commonly missed part of the process; as many of you know, the headlamps are vented from the bottom of the housing. More often than not, these vents get clogged stopping the headlight from venting properly, thus condensation (I had to take mine apart and use compressed air to clear the clogs).

2) I used industrial aquarium silicone sealant around the entire edge of the headlamp and replaced the rubber gaskets on the headlight access doors with the same sealant. Once the doors were closed, I used another bead of silicone around the edge of each door (I spent a metric ass ton on lifetime DIS bulbs so I hope I don't have to replace these anytime soon).

3) I also fab'd a box in each housing to hold silica gel packs. Silica get packs absorb 40% of their weight in water. Granted, this doesn't stop condensation, it just helps extend the time it takes before I need to remove the headlamps and inspect the vents.

mprice1975
05-31-12, 11:53 PM
Spoke to both Massey Cadillac and Sewell Cadillac here in Dallas and was told initially that i needed to replace them because the seals were probably damaged. It cleared up so I left it alone and when it happened again 6mo later I skipped the service manager and went to one of the shop techs. He told me that its not the seals. It sounds silly but according to him many owners have this problem and per Cadillac the headlights are said to be vented so this will happen on occasion. I dont know what to thin kbut just so you know apparently the dealerships are no any more "in the know" than our guesses may be. I hate it when they seem to know even less about the products than we do. Hell a few weeks ago I got rear ended by a woman texting while backing out of a parking space in Rockwall and spent 3 days arguing with one of these dealerships (the one starting with a M) about whether the rear bumper on a 2009-11 STS was the same as the STS-V. Even after it arrived (refurbished part of coarse) and was obviously different I was told "we can make it work". I was so pissed. They ended up ordering an OEM one at $400 more eventually but not before trying to convince me that my bumper didn't match because it was aftermarket because some idiot in the GM Parts Division they called for help told them that Cadilla never made a Bumper for the V cars with Chrome Metal Mesh. Really.... ?? Its pitiful. Had to contact someone at GM High Performance Division to get that one straightened out even with Factory Parts Manual and Disassembly Guide in Hand. Independant Dealerships are why GM is going under these days!!!

cstarky15
06-01-12, 10:31 AM
Yes the headlights have a vent in them and yes it will cause some moisture to get inside, but if it is going half way up the light then there is a seal issue. I had my passenger one just replaced due to this. Drivers has some but not enough to worry about like my passenger one. My dealer in mn has been nothing but amazing with this car. Sounds like your dealers are pretty special.

cstarky15
06-01-12, 10:38 AM
Yes the headlights have a vent in them and yes it will cause some moisture to get inside, but if it is going half way up the light then there is a seal issue. I had my passenger one just replaced due to this. Drivers has some but not enough to worry about like my passenger one. My dealer in mn has been nothing but amazing with this car. Sounds like your dealers are pretty special.

PNBLWZD
06-01-12, 10:53 AM
Had both of my headlight assemblies replaced under CPO warrantee after they got condensation from heavy rain once, been dry inside since.

rakoom2002
06-01-12, 08:49 PM
Im guessing your car still needs to be under warranty for them to replace the lights? Ive been dealing with this issue since ive had the car and it bugs the shit out of me. Ive purchased three different headlights trying to fix the issue and it keeps happening. I live in Portland and I rains like 90% of the year. Very Frustrating issue and its a a pain in the ass to do headlight swaps.

PNBLWZD
06-02-12, 12:56 AM
If not replaced under warrantee they are very expensive, like $800-900 each assembly plus installation. Probably cheaper options on ebay, but impossible to know if what shows up will be better or worse than what you have already. Or if you could just get the housing minus the HID balast I would think they would be cheaper.

cstarky15
06-02-12, 04:58 PM
Correct cadillac told me they were $900 a piece plus install. Lsat I remembered is that they had to drop the bumper to install the lights.

youknooow
06-05-12, 10:06 AM
Left my V outside overnight when it rained this last week.. then we've had some hot days. Both headlights have condensation all over inside! Whats with this? Its been a couple days now and only one is nearly cleared up, the other still has a lot.. Ohh and pics below..

I had one replaced under warranty no problem, just drove up with the condensation, part was ordered.

kizzykoddy
06-09-12, 12:50 PM
I had heavy condensation in one headlamp...pushed the safety issue and they replaced the unit because the seal was broken..no further problem.

eatyoursandwich
06-12-12, 03:03 PM
Well after a month of no condensation, it is back again. Short of sealing the vents, I have literally done everything to seal the life out of the housings.

For people who have drilled a small hole in the bottom (as that seems to be the next best real, long-term solution) how has this worked out? Did you seal off the vents?

This is pissing me off. Why there is not a TSB for this is insane.

1BadCadSTS
06-12-12, 03:11 PM
Just put some sylica packets inside. Solved it for me.

Vampyre
07-02-12, 06:23 PM
It was an easy fix for me, only my driver side had condensation, so I removed the air box and open the side of the light, where you service the DRL, and used a paper towel to dry out the
light, you can not get to the front of the light, but all it took was to soak up the water in the bottom of the headlight and it is perfect now, Dealer wanted something like $1800 to replace
the light.

Have not tried sylica gel, but I might toss a packet in

08CTScad
04-15-14, 04:56 PM
I have a 2008 CTS with the passenger side headlamp bottom filled with condensation. Dealer state sthat it needs to be changed. That's the only fix. I am going to remove the light, check the vent and possibly silicone seal the lens seam. Wish me luck

Edward C
04-15-14, 05:26 PM
I had this problem and drilled a minute hole with the smallest drill bit I had in the lower corner of the right headlight assembly just above the seal. Condensation cleared up after a few days and has not returned even after driving in torrential rainfail. The headlight is already vented but if moisture collects in the bottom of the unit, it will remain there until it has an escape route.

06WhiteDiamond
04-17-14, 12:15 PM
Purchased my V last Thursday. Headlight was perfect for 3 days. Then is started raining and the driver's side headlamp assembly now has the worse condensation I have ever seen. FML!!
So much for GMPP Total Plus warranty.... Such bs.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-17-14, 03:53 PM
Purchased my V last Thursday. Headlight was perfect for 3 days. Then is started raining and the driver's side headlamp assembly now has the worse condensation I have ever seen. FML!!

Hi 06WhiteDiamond,

Congratulations on the new V, I hope you are enjoying the car aside from this issue.

I am sorry to hear about the condensation in your headlight and I can understand how frustrating that would be on a new purchase. What Cadillac dealership did you purchase your vehicle from and have you brought this concern to their attention yet? Please send me a PM if you wish to discuss your concerns further.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

1BadCadSTS
04-17-14, 09:21 PM

Specifically states on contract does not cover sealed beams. Why would you assume they would cover it.

Fixed. Damn auto correct on iPhone lol.

06WhiteDiamond
04-17-14, 10:38 PM
Spiritually states on contract does not cover sealed beams. Why would you assume they would cover it.

Your right, I had quite a bit of history at this dealer and spent thousands of dollars on repairs in the last two years. I guess I had high hopes going in today. It was far fetched of me to think that they would be able to help in some way.

I have had two STS's now and both suffered from this issue. It's just disappointing.

1BadCadSTS
04-18-14, 12:26 AM
Remove reseal and throw in some silica packets. Issue goes away, permanently.

cadi509
04-18-14, 05:21 PM
Silica packets that's a good idea

Ludacrisvp
04-18-14, 07:12 PM
Works well in the headlights I've done projector retrofits in.
They come in a lot of packing material you might find a furniture store that may have some laying around.
Now they constantly soak up moisture so you may need to "recharge them" you can use a microwave to drive out the water and recharge them or put them in the oven for a log time to do the same thing. There are directions online to do so. Otherwise you can buy them online from some places.

06WhiteDiamond
04-19-14, 09:33 PM
Is their a write up for removing the intake box? Searched but could not find anything. I managed to pick up some silica gel packets. Thanks.

Ludacrisvp
04-19-14, 09:38 PM
I believe it's basically unplug the electrical connector, loosen the hose clamp, move the coolant line, pull out 3 screws holding the box in then pull the box out.

YGK
08-03-14, 08:47 AM
Dear Jeff:
I have 2005 STS (100,000 miles). Its right headlight headlight has puddle of water inside. I removed the headlight and sealed it with silicon. But water has found its way into the headlight again. I went to the dealership, and was told that he could not help me because it is out of warranty. Is there something you can help me. Thanks

chouston3v
08-03-14, 02:23 PM
I sealed mine with clear Loctite automotive super glue in the small space where I saw water gettin in at and it was fixed for only 7 bucks lol did it for both headlights

choigilligan
10-11-14, 09:57 AM
Condensation in the headlights again. Is there a video for how to take the headlights off to re-seal on YouTube. Or can anyone tell me what tools I'll need and how to do it. Do I have to take off my bumper to remove the light.

cadi509
10-11-14, 06:38 PM
Yes you have to remove the bumper it's not difficult though

Rboughne1
10-11-14, 07:06 PM
Yes you have to remove the bumper it's not difficult though
How do you remove the bumper? I need to do a heat exchanger!

jasonp12
10-11-14, 07:52 PM
How do you remove the bumper? I need to do a heat exchanger!

4 nuts. 2 in the fwd side of each wheel well, and then all the plastic clips on the top and bottom if I remember correctly.

The heat exchanger is definitely one of the better upgrades you can do, I think. TimmyC makes the best.

CoolV
10-12-14, 09:29 AM
I just bought a new STS-V and it looks like the inside of my shower door after a hot shower on one of my lights! With such a widespread issue you would think Cadillac would do something to fix this problem. It makes their product look cheap and poorly built! People wonder why the foreign car market is so strong.....this is a good example why. Cadillac could easily fix this issue or AT LEAST make it affordable for us to fix the problem. I understand that most of our cars are out of warranty but you would think that with such a widespread common issue Cadillac would try to make it right!!

skipstheboss
10-17-14, 08:43 AM
I had the same thing. Since I only bought mine last month the dealer is replacing it now. These things are way too complicated and way too easy to break. And the headlights too.

06WhiteDiamond
10-17-14, 11:01 AM
Tried every fix possible but the only method that actually worked for me was drilling a small hole in the bottom of the headlight. I have been condensation free for two months now.

CoolV
10-18-14, 05:21 PM
Tried every fix possible but the only method that actually worked for me was drilling a small hole in the bottom of the headlight. I have been condensation free for two months now.

Did you need to take off the bumper to drill the hole or did you drill from the front? Can you see the hole that you drilled or is it too low to see?

06WhiteDiamond
10-18-14, 07:04 PM
Did you need to take off the bumper to drill the hole or did you drill from the front? Can you see the hole that you drilled or is it too low to see?

That is correct, I loosened the bumper in order to pull out the headlight. Drilled a tiny hole underneath the headlight assembly which cannot be seen. This not only helps moisture/condensation escape but will also drain any remaining water left in the headlight.

The hole was drilled on the black plastic which is the bottom of the headlight, drill in the corner under the peanut bulb. Be carefull not to drill to far in as the drill bit can hit the chrome inside the headlight assembly. If you open the seals, which you should do anyway to ensure the seal is good, you can see where the chrome is and drill accordingly.

Now that I think about it I should have snapped a few pictures with a quick guide for future members as this is quite a common issue.

TimmyC
10-19-14, 12:47 AM
I just did that to one in the silver V that I put together for my wife except I drilled a 1/4" hole in all four corners underneath. That fixed it.

rbzstsv
10-19-14, 08:40 AM
Does anyone know the cause of this? Besides the obvious lol.. Is this a problem with the design of the light housing?